Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #1
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Portable Solar Charging Batteries while in Storage

I have attempted using a 7 Watts Solar Panel Battery Charger and it just is not enough to maintain the batteries while in storage evening with a top post battery master disconnect switch.

We generally store for a month before next trip and the 7 watt charger just is not enough to maintain both batteries.

I need suggestions for what would be a trouble free, sure thing, solar charger for the batteries as my arm gets tired cranking the jack when the batteries are dead.

Once on shore power the batteries charge BUT I beleive they have gone dead too many times and I should probably replace... they are Interstate Deep Cycle and the water level is fine.

Sometime shortly I will be adding solar and a good inverter but not sure who should do the work here in southern Florida... Our AS is prewired for solar.

Thoughts? Smartass comments are also welcome.
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Could you remove them and bring them home? Use a trickle charger?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:15 AM   #3
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
My back would be saying "oh hell no"
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

Old 04-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Install the solar system yourself. If you use the existing pre-wiring the installation isn't that difficult. Lots of info on Airforums on how to attach panels, etc.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Plug the seven way into your running Tow Vehicle to raise and lower the jack when battery is dead. I had to do that a couple of times with my old Bambi II.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Plug the seven way into your running Tow Vehicle to raise and lower the jack when battery is dead. I had to do that a couple of times with my old Bambi II.
Been there done that... doesn't work.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
I have attempted using a 7 Watts Solar Panel Battery Charger and it just is not enough to maintain the batteries while in storage evening with a top post battery master disconnect switch.

We generally store for a month before next trip and the 7 watt charger just is not enough to maintain both batteries.

I need suggestions for what would be a trouble free, sure thing, solar charger for the batteries as my arm gets tired cranking the jack when the batteries are dead.

Once on shore power the batteries charge BUT I beleive they have gone dead too many times and I should probably replace... they are Interstate Deep Cycle and the water level is fine.

Sometime shortly I will be adding solar and a good inverter but not sure who should do the work here in southern Florida... Our AS is prewired for solar.

About 6 weeks ago I bought the BatteryMinder Solar with the 15W solar panel. It does seem to keep the two Interstate 24M batteries charged between use. I also installed a PD4655 Converter at the same time. The 15 W solar charger will charge to the point that the green light on the PD 4655 indicates it is in 90% charged range, but it does not seem to go into desulfate mode. FWIW the "Batt" digital gauge on my 2015 AS shows the charge at 12.8 after I remove the solar charger and no load on the batteries other than the usual phantom load (CO sensor). I also installed a switch on the batteries to completely cut off all phantom draw when the AS is not in use. This is a $5 item at auto parts stores. Takes 15 min to install and 15 seconds to turn on and off when needed.

I am still evaluating the benefit of the portable solar charger when the AS is not being used. But the battery disconnect switch is definitely a plus.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:34 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Two ideas

Agree w/ Westie. 1. Install a switch on battery. 2. Invest in decent portable drill (instead of manual cranking)
Krusty Buns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Ontario
AGM Battery Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Could you remove them and bring them home? Use a trickle charger?
I did this for several years but each year the batteries got heavier and I got weaker. When my batteries finally crapped out I replaced them with two AGM deep cycle batteries. My rationale for choosing the AGM batteries is their very low self discharge rate which is alleged to be approximately 1% per month compared to the 5% to 15%
self- discharge rate of normal deep cycle batteries. The test commenced in September 2015 when I placed my trailer in storage for the winter, disconnected the batteries, and prayed that the batteries would not discharge too far over the seven month storage period. I was extremely pleased when, in mid-April, I went back to the trailer with my battery tester and found the voltage rates to be 12.95 volts in one battery & 12.94 in the other. I feel the extra costs of the AGM batteries is well worth it in terms of the low self discharge rate and the other claimed advantages of longer battery life and faster charging are simply added bonuses.
terrythomts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I thought of using a solar panel to charge, but wound up getting the BatteryMINDer Model 1510: 12Volt 1.5 Amp Maintenance Charger/Desulfator. It seems to be working well to keep my two 12v batteries (in parallel) charged. I do have some questions about battery charging in general. Airstream tells me I have a 3 stage charger in my 16' Bambi Sport. That isn't the case in other models? What happens to the batteries when hooked up (30 amp) at a campsite? Is there no danger of cooking those batteries if hooked up for a long time? I presume my BayteryMINDer keeps the batteries from overcharging?
tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
I'm guessing you received incorrect info from your dealer. Typically the converter is a single stage charger and it's not a good idea to use for an extended period. I would double check the make and model of your converter to know for sure.

When connected to shore power, if your batteries are already charged, just keep the Use/Store switch in the Store position. This will disconnect the batteries from the converter and avoid excessive charging.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:57 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I understand that the 16' Sports have a WFCO 3 stage converter/charher. I emailed Airstream central and that's what they told me. Is that not correct?
tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Can you post the model number you have so we can know for sure?
Old 05-11-2016, 08:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
tj, nevermind. I just checked your manual and yes, your Sport includes a three-stage battery charger! Nice to see Airstream finally addressing this issue, at least with the smaller units.

So you're good to go as far as connecting to shore power for long periods. No need to use your BatteryMinder. When you select the "Use" position when connected to shore power, your converter will be charging your batteries.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Caravel
Indianapolis , Indiana
Any update on the 15W Battery Minder Solar panels? Thinking about them.
amckibbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Phantom loads include CO sensor as well as the sub-woofer and the television (instant on feature). I installed a switch for the power to the sub-woofer and installed a new duplex outlet where one side was the switch for the outlet to kill power to the television. Also the thermostat and all the appliance control circuit boards could draw a small amount of power.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post

You've got a substantial investment in your trailer why not get a serious portable solar panel ....something like a RAMP Go Power 120 Watt Unit? About $650 and they do a wonderful job. My trailer is stored on our property about 1/4 mile from the house so there is no shore power available. The portable solar unit works very very well.
I understand that taking batteries to the "mat" several times will reduce their life cycle but yours are on a 2016 trailer like mine. They should be still good to go. Also,when stored are you "turning off the battery cutoff switch"?

Good luck with your issues.

Pat
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote