Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #21
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
No problem. The stock inverter and the converter are wired separately. I also have the 1000 Watt WFCO inverter.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
All above is correct and there are couple times I would use the over ride option, but not many. The first like mentioned, boondocking when generator run time is limited by rules or time available. Many people want to fast charge for a couple hours and then head off fishing, hiking etc. It will ensure boost function and faster charging should it not automatically go into boost by itself based on the state of charge when connected to AC power (or generator) Keep in mind it will stay in that high charge mode for 4 hours if you don't change it. Here lies the problem and the reason they don't generally recommend it. Many people are "button pushers" for the sake of pushing buttons and don't understand that 4 hours on a battery nearly charged will overcharge it if done repeatedly. It happens all the time and somehow its usually my fault Use the function conservatively and knowing the state of charge before charging is important like mrprez said.
The other time I might use it is when arriving at a new site after a long drive and the batteries have been fully charged from the TV alternator. After moving out a slide for example, the mode might change to boost because of the temporary high voltage drop (if the motor is DC or assisted) If I know my batteries are charged, I certainly don't need a 4 hour boost cycle so might move it back to the normal mode manually. Again, based on the known SOS of the batteries. If in doubt, leave the button alone is the best for 90% of all but there are times....
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
So I got a cheapy hydrometer from advanced auto - only one they had - it was like 5 bucks - not the thermometer mercury looking type - has a dial that floats up like a gauge -

Results show the battery is no good - I had trailer plugged in for a week - unplugged for 2 hours and switched to "store" and then checked - all clear read on the "red" zone for specific gravity

Maybe - maybe I had a loss of power within the last couple days but I doubt it ......hmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Advanced Auto (any auto parts store) will check them free if you take them to their store. A good hydrometer should be in your tool box if you plan to run flooded batteries.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
PD4655 Converter

My charger I use for my boat batteries read both batteries at 13.1 v

Also micro pulse reads at full

Old 09-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
All above is correct and there are couple times I would use the over ride option, but not many. The first like mentioned, boondocking when generator run time is limited by rules or time available. Many people want to fast charge for a couple hours and then head off fishing, hiking etc. It will ensure boost function and faster charging should it not automatically go into boost by itself based on the state of charge when connected to AC power (or generator) Keep in mind it will stay in that high charge mode for 4 hours if you don't change it. Here lies the problem and the reason they don't generally recommend it. Many people are "button pushers" for the sake of pushing buttons and don't understand that 4 hours on a battery nearly charged will overcharge it if done repeatedly. It happens all the time and somehow its usually my fault Use the function conservatively and knowing the state of charge before charging is important like mrprez said.
The other time I might use it is when arriving at a new site after a long drive and the batteries have been fully charged from the TV alternator. After moving out a slide for example, the mode might change to boost because of the temporary high voltage drop (if the motor is DC or assisted) If I know my batteries are charged, I certainly don't need a 4 hour boost cycle so might move it back to the normal mode manually. Again, based on the known SOS of the batteries. If in doubt, leave the button alone is the best for 90% of all but there are times....
Hi Randy,

Would my batteries (stock GR 24 Interstates...a little less than 2 years old) which have never received a "full" charge at 14.4 volts...benefit with a nice boost charge for a short period? As soon as I hooked up the new converter the charge went to 2-3 flashes per second...which I believe is the normal charge at 13.60 volts.

How long would you charge at the boost setting?
No. 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
If they have never seen a bulk charge, I would give them an hour or two but do it when you are there to make sure they are not gassing excessively since they are probably close to full charge already. Might be better to run them down to 50-60% and then run the full boost cycle.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Thanks Randy.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Mine just arrived - when kids go to sleep I may start the project tonight

Old 10-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Head lamp and I think 4 different screwdrivers to disassemble the old one.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Beaverton , Oregon
Has anyone installed the pendant ($10 add on) instead of changing out the DC board from the original unit?
Triumphdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Hmmm - got to looking closer before taking anything apart - things look different - my parallax model is 555Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412648914.645024.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	803.3 KB
ID:	223815
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412648925.943035.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	773.0 KB
ID:	223816

We had a communication snafu - in a big way my part but we just did not properly verify and mine is 50amp

Randy called me and very quickly is helping me get it all square - looks like I have a few choices to consider now as a replacement (which he agreed so graciously to replace as a 1:1 swap)

Thanks for help randy - I'm retarded

Old 10-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
No Worries. A few Airstreams are sold with 50 amp service and I should have had you check to make sure. Partly my fault but I truly thought you said you had the 7355 that most Airstreams come with. We'll get it taken care of.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Totally understand....what I was meaning to say was "yeah, that model sounds familiar based on what people have told me on the forums I likely have"...point of the phone call however was to make sure from the horses mouth....but I totally understand the mis-cue....

I have ordered a powermax boondocker 60 from Randy and am sending back the PD4655 that he agreed to graciously accept and refund...thank you sir!

I will be requiring to do a couple additional things for this install for which randy will walk me through it...thanks Randy for the correction and good service. Wifey will send the PD4655 back tomorrow. Ill take pics of the new install in detail and make a post specific to this swap as I suspect having searched the forums here that it has not been discussed much at all in any detail like the 7300 to the PD4655.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Kingston , New York
Just ordered same product from Randy so I am eager to see your installation pics/process...
Moo1822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Wait wait - you first then me

Old 10-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Kingston , New York
Ha! You'll have to wait until late Friday then... I will also be installing the "EMS-HW50C 50 Amp Hardwired EMS with Remote Display" along with the "TriMetric Battery Monitor" as well...

If anyone sees a big plume of smoke coming from the Catskills...well, open a good red wine and raise your glasses to us.
Moo1822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Received our PD4655 from Randy a week ago. Will probably install it this weekend. Time I watched those install videos!!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I will have to look into this! Not there yet but good read.
Cliff
Old 10-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Moo - I'll be interested in your tri metrix install - looks nice - me wants later

What I really want after a weekend boondocking is a monitor system for my tanks that gives me some fairly accurate sense of the actual levels in my tanks