Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Parrallax 3020 converter acting up

My only immediate concern is my new Parrallax 3020 converter. I forgot to plug the converter into power and I noticed the battery starting to drain so I plugged the converter into the AC and it made all the lights dim and drained the battery. I charged the battery and tested the converter again just to see if it was a fluke and it started to drain the battery again. All the wiring looks good so I have another challenge again.

I used the old univolt fuse box and attached it to the converter.

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Hi Brian,
Have another look at that model number. With a 1973 unit, you should not have to plug the converter into anything unless you literally didn't connect it to AC power. If it was connected, plugging into shore power should make it run.
Converters don't drain batteries, they charge them.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
overlander68

The old Univolt was hard wired and was replaced with the 3020 parrallax. I bought the new converter off the Internet. I took the old Univolt fuse panel and installed it to the new converter. It worked great when it was not plugged in. I but a receptical in to replace the hard wire. There are only two wires to hook up to the fuse panel and I am pretty sure I did that correct. I had it wired incorrectly at first which has me concerned about ruining the transformer. It blew a fuse when I plugged it in so I called parrallax and they told me how to wire it. I made the corrections but never plugged it in. Once I turned on the lights I thought it was working.

I was reading about the Parrallax converters last night and I found a few threads on different RV forums where folks had the same problem. The RV techs gpt those forums wrote that dimming of the lights when you hook it to shore power is an indication of a transformer problem. I will call Parrallax today to see if they can help me

Brian
Old 06-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
take voltage readings from both the battery and the 3020. the lights would dim if the polarity is reversed on the 3020 or the battery (rare, but it can happen).
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Brian,
I'm sure you heard from Parallax if you called them that the linear 3200 has not been produced in years. Actually, you typed 3020 but I think you meant 3220 or maybe the 3200 series that came in several DC output values. Some had a DC fuse board connected on the end and some were stand alone converter/chargers with no fuse board attached.
I don't doubt that you bought one but it was not new unless it was new old stock from years ago.
They are single stage units of 13.7 or 13.8 volts and although they will charge your battery, they are known to cause excessive water loss in the warmer months which may lead you to believe they are draining the battery. Flooded battery electrolyte will gas or sometimes referred to "boil" at 13.8 volts at 75 degrees F.
With the exception of the Paramode 4455, Parallax only produces single stage converters. Actually the 7400 series has a timer option but its 14.2 for 13 hours and too will gas your batteries in short order.
Hope this helps a little but honestly I can't tell from your post as to why your having the problems other than how they work.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
When I bought the converter (Internet buy) I asked if it was new or used one. They told me that it was new. I found out about a month ago from an RV Dealer that they were discontinued 9 years ago. I did not know that, but being a new converter never used I thought it would still be good. I do not think I boiled my battery because I never plugged the converter into AC until the battery started to go dead. When I plugged it in I noticed immediately that it caused more drain and the battery went dead with in minutes. I unplugged the converter and charged the battery. I noticed when I plugged the converter in again that it was draining the battery again.

I know nothing about electical gadgets. I am going to pull the Airstream to an RV repair shop and have them do a complete evaluation on my electical. They will charge me $98 an hour, but they are very good and great people. I am just freaking a bit because I cannot afford to buy another converter at this time. I am hoping they can fix so I can use it this summer for one week.