Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
j Z
1 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Great Falls , Montana
Outback Power Inverter

I salvaged 2 outback power inverters from a truck at work. Has anyone ever used one in their airstream?

Would it even be useful for running 120V appliances? I think that it would run down the batteries quickly. I have 2 marine deep cycle batteries. Not sure how much capacity.

Model : VFX2812M
Input: 12V
Output: 23.3A at 120V AC

j Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Outback makes excellent inverters. That VFX2812M is a 2800 watt model. True sine wave output, still on the market today for about $2000 +

The key to their battery life is their current at idle. I didn't do a lot of research as to what that is but probably around an amp or so. Other than idle current, they tend to be about 90% efficient when actually operating a load.

You scored a real find there. Wish I had one of those work trucks around to scavenge.

Learn more by googling outback VFX2812M
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I just found the spec sheet. Idle takes 20 watts, which at 12 volts is about 1 3/4 amps. Pretty high if it is just siting around doing nothing, but no problem if it is cycled on and off with whatever you want to run.

You want to sell one cheap? LOL
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I seem to remember that 2800 watts at 120v AC will be roughly 280 amps draw at 12v DC. Of course, I haven't had my coffee yet this morning...
Old 09-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Outback, along with Magnum Energy, make the best inverters and related equipment currently available (and made in the USA). I prefer the Magnums for their remote monitoring system, which is extremely easy to navigate. The Outback is quite a bit more complex.

When I install a 2800 watt inverter, there is usually at least a 600 amp/hour deep cycle battery bank attached to it and a rather robust solar array to keep those batteries charged. Remember that when converting a 120VAC load into a 12VDC draw, the rule of thumb is a factor of 10, meaning that if you want to run a 1200 watt microwave (10 amps AC draw), this would be pulling 100 amps from the battery bank, plus the residual amperage required to operate the inverter.

Also, the larger the load that the battery bank sees, the capacity of that battery bank is effectively reduced, as Peukert so elegantly theorized.

Bottom line; you have a couple of great inverters which are not really well suited for use in a trailer where battery weight is a critical issue.

Class dismissed!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Thanks, Lew. It's good to know I remembered more or less correctly through the coffee grounds this morning...
Old 09-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
j Z
1 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Great Falls , Montana
I have one of the inverters running in the garage. It has been running a 100W bulb for an hour so far. I also ran the microwave for a minute. The inverter handles them fine.

Realistically, I am not sure what benefit a high capacity inverter would be. I suppose I could use it to run the microwave for a few minutes without having to fire up a generator. What would you use it for?

Now what to do with them...
I think one would be plenty for a 23' Airstream, that leaves another one to sell or barter. I would like a gas inverter/generator. Maybe a Yamaha 2800W?

JZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-25_10-14-07_149.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	168972  
j Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by j Z View Post
Realistically, I am not sure what benefit a high capacity inverter would be. I suppose I could use it to run the microwave for a few minutes without having to fire up a generator. What would you use it for?
Our camper has a ginormous inverter installed; it'll run everything but the air conditioning. We haven't camped without electricity too much so far, but as of now I'm wondering the same thing as you. Running the microwave or the toaster oven (we do not have a built-in oven) are the only things I can think of...and on our recent dry camping trip, I turned off the microwave's circuit breaker before firing up the inverter, and we left the toaster oven at home to save space! We simply planned meals that did not require either one on that trip.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote