Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2022, 09:35 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Old inverter switch to Victon Multiplus II

I am very pleased with the Multiplus II I have installed, but the idle draw of the inverter is typically about 12 watts. This adds up over several days of dry camping. I have a Cerbo GX display and can use it to turn off the inverter when I am not using any of the AC circuits. This gets a bit tedious at times.

The old inverter button switch in the kitchen is not connected to anything.

Is there a way to reuse the old inverter switch to turn the Multiplus II inverter on and off?
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 02:06 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Austin , Texas
I installed a 2nd 250 watt Victron inverter and hooked it to the old inverter circuit. It draws less than a watt and I just leave it on all the time. Runs all the random stuff I might want to have. The Multiplus draw does add up.

I've thought about adding a switch but I think you would need to use Victron one and you'd have to pull a wire. For me the 2nd inverter was pretty cheap and more useful.
trsvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 02:51 PM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
After installing a TV which works directly from 12vdc, I leave my inverter off almost all the time unless needed. That's typically just if we need to charge laptops for a few hours, make some coffee on the electric coffee maker, etc. It's really nice to have the inverter available for whatever is needed, but it's not always needed.

Of course, now that we have 400 watts of solar on the roof it's not that big a deal to leave the inverter on all the time unless we hit a few days of overcast or rainy weather. Aside from that, the batteries are kept charged even with the draw from the inverter.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 07:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2024 27' Globetrotter
Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm30327 View Post
I am very pleased with the Multiplus II I have installed, but the idle draw of the inverter is typically about 12 watts. This adds up over several days of dry camping. I have a Cerbo GX display and can use it to turn off the inverter when I am not using any of the AC circuits. This gets a bit tedious at times.

The old inverter button switch in the kitchen is not connected to anything.

Is there a way to reuse the old inverter switch to turn the Multiplus II inverter on and off?

Where did you place the Multiplus II? Is it a 3000W? Could you upload photos?
I have a Multiplus II 3000W, and hoping to purchase a 27FBT very soon.
Pdish24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 07:38 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdish24 View Post
Where did you place the Multiplus II? Is it a 3000W? Could you upload photos?
I have a Multiplus II 3000W, and hoping to purchase a 27FBT very soon.
I posted a detailed discussion with pictures here. I installed everything in the front storage compartment. I put together everything on a piece of plywood at home and then lowered it into place from above. My goal was to be able to run all the AC equipment except for AC and hot water heater. This meant creating an AC breaker box in the front area. We are now able to use microwave, hair dryer, etc when dry camping. One change I made later was to change out the 5" Cerbo GX for a 7" Cerbo GX. The print was too small to read for my old eyes.

Small cooling fans were put in the driver side partition of the storage area. When arriving at a camping spot with shore power after several days of dry camping, the Multiplus II heats the compartment up quite rapidly. I have seen it at 105 degrees even with fans running. The Multiplus temperature limit is 150 degrees but that may affect other items in the compartment.

My biggest issue turned out to be the DC-DC charger. That saga is discussed here. Biggest takeaway is to use 4 AWG wire on both positive and negative sides directly to the battery in the TV.
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote