Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Regarding running the air conditioner and the microwave at the same time; on occasion, we have also encountered this in campgrounds. I suspect that campground circuit breakers are often old and/or weak due to being out in the weather all year, and they may trip at less than 30 amps. This guess is based on the receptacles that are often worn, discolored and sometimes chipped/broken. If you use the 20 amp circuit, the combination of air conditioner and microwave probably exceeds 20 amps.

We now consciously do NOT use both appliances at the same time, even when on our own generators. Also, don't forget other high-current devices that others in your family may be using in the other room; e.g., a hair dryer.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Go back and check the switch now that the batteries are hooked up. If there is 12 volts on one side of the solenoid there will be 12 volts to the switch. If the switch is in the on position and the solenoid should pull in. If not the problem is in the solenoid control system.

Can I assume you have tested the 2 small fuses on the solenoid. The one on the left is the one that feed voltage to the switch.

Yeah, did that already and those two fuses are good. I've checked and rechecked everything with and without shore power, and with a 3rd fully charged battery. My guess is the solenoid is shot or the relay is stuck.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Regarding running the air conditioner and the microwave at the same time; on occasion, we have also encountered this in campgrounds. I suspect that campground circuit breakers are often old and/or weak due to being out in the weather all year, and they may trip at less than 30 amps. This guess is based on the receptacles that are often worn, discolored and sometimes chipped/broken. If you use the 20 amp circuit, the combination of air conditioner and microwave probably exceeds 20 amps.

We now consciously do NOT use both appliances at the same time, even when on our own generators. Also, don't forget other high-current devices that others in your family may be using in the other room; e.g., a hair dryer.
The state park we stayed at was pretty new. Even the charcoal grills...those standard state park fixtures...hadn't begun to rust yet.

But I'm going to swap the 20a lines on the A/C and Microwave to move the A/C connection to a breaker farther away from the main 30a breaker. That is apparently a well known heat related issue and fix. Even the service guy this morning mentioned that. You'd think they'd do that at the AS factory but I guess they don't realize how hot it gets down this way. Easy swap though.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Thought I'd share with everyone what the problem turned out to be. Turns out it was a wire under the chassis that had been rubbing against metal and eventually rubbed thru the insulation and was causing a short in the circuit. Go figure. The service guy said whoever installed that wiring bundle at the factory had his head where the sun doesn't shine. It was only a matter of time before it wore through.

I guess I would have found it, eventually, but am glad I didn't have to lay on the hot concrete, under the AS In my driveway, in 102 degree heat! Glad I took it in to the service center.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
PS: They had to drop the pan to find it.