Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2021, 08:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Oceanside , CA
Wink Newbie...accessing the inverter

Happy New Year all! I have a 2019 27' FB (twins) FC and have seemed to have tripped the inverter AC breaker. I am connected to shore power, but none of my inverter circuit outlets are working, even when i push the ON/OFF power pushbutton on the remote switch panel (under my dinette table, both TV outlets, and the outlet in storage above dinette that houses the DVD player). According to the manual provided to me from Airstream, I have a WF-5110R Inverter installed. From scrubbing the internet, I have learned that the inverter is accessible through an access panel under the twin bed....located panel but seems very inaccessible with several screws and glued foam insulation that will be torn off if panel is removed. I believe I need to access the inverter to reset the AC output circuit breaker, correct? Any steps in between?
cwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
From what I read on the WFCO site, the output AC is protected by a fuse. There's an automatic reset of the unit if positive and negative inputs are reversed, but fuse protected for output. So once you get to the unit you'll need a new fuse.

This unit has a transfer switch for when you're connected to shore power. If it's getting power from the post then your inverter will not be used. AC just passes through to the plugs. Disconnect from shore power and turn on the inverter switch and see if it comes on.

For gaining access I would contact Airstream support about removing the access panel or just proceed slowly to see how far you can get.

They have some downloads at their site for this model. Manual has troubleshooting information.
https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-5110r/
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The inverter is generally in the front corner. There should be a small access cutout to get to the inverter so you should not have to remove the screws seal or plywood. There is a manual reset breaker button as you have surmised.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:39 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Oceanside , CA
richw46, Thank you for the link. I have stepped through disconnecting from shore and pushed the inverter power on button at the remote switch panel....but still no power to the inverter outlets... however, the green status LED on the switch panel comes on. Will be calling Airstream.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:47 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Oceanside , CA
Thank you BayouBiker. I'm not seeing an access panel in the front corner. There is a black vent panel for ventilation on the side above the light in my front storage, but doesn't move or come off. Even if it did, I would not be able to access the back of the inverter. Not seeing any other way to access besides pulling the plywood panel up. I can just see enough into the vent panel with a flashlight to see the inverter and the green LED light is on....but can't see any status on the digital display.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
how unfortunate. Behind the vent panel is the inverter on my 25 FB also. Like I say, they were nice enough to have cut an access hatch you just lift off the top. I've removed the plywood to get to other stuff, you can reseal the foam....
Old 01-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwalter View Post
richw46, Thank you for the link. I have stepped through disconnecting from shore and pushed the inverter power on button at the remote switch panel....but still no power to the inverter outlets... however, the green status LED on the switch panel comes on. Will be calling Airstream.
I'm assuming that you have had the inverter working before so no need to check the on/off button on the inverter front panel. I'm assuming you've had 120v at the inverter outlets when on shore power.

According to the manual you have AC input if the green LED on the inverter is on and should have 120 AC at the wall outlets (pass-through) even if the inverter wall switch is off, even if there are no batteries, as long as it's plugged into an AC outlet. So if you don't have pass-through then the output 120v is not working. According to the manual, there is a protecting output breaker. The 120v output breaker switch is on the back of the inverter, top left. You will need to locate and flip the breaker off/on again. (There is a 100 amp fuse on the input 12vdc positive line. If you have pass-through but no power when not on shore power, check the input 12vdc at the rear of the inverter.)

If you have pass-through but nothing is working there is a reset procedure:
Make sure the WF-5110R Inverter’s Power Pushbutton is in the OFF position. Disconnect the Negative (White) wire from the DC input lugs at the rear panel. Let the unit stand idle for approximately 5 minutes so the internal circuitry can normalize. Reconnect and securely tighten the Negative (White) wire. Push the Power Pushbutton to the ON position. The unit should work normally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter 5110R.png
Views:	103
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	386148  
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 01-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Looks like your biggest problem is just gaining access. Not much information in the owners manual or online about the location or access. Like BayouBiker said, front left but I think that's for the queen bed. Twin bed model I'm betting is between the beds.

According to the owners manual for the AS it says if overloaded it can be automatically reset by removing the overload. Have you tried just unplugging everything from the inverter plugs, disconnecting from shore power and disconnecting the negative battery post for 5+ minutes? Then reconnect everything?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 01-03-2021, 11:06 AM   #9
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Thank you BayouBiker. I'm not seeing an access panel in the front corner. There is a black vent panel for ventilation on the side above the light in my front storage, but doesn't move or come off. Even if it did, I would not be able to access the back of the inverter. Not seeing any other way to access besides pulling the plywood panel up. I can just see enough into the vent panel with a flashlight to see the inverter and the green LED light is on....but can't see any status on the digital display.
Have you checked for the access panel under the passenger side mattress?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Oceanside , CA
Thank you! Yes, that was the first thing i thought to do and have everything unplugged from all inverter outlets. We will disconnect from shore power and try the negative battery post.....is this done on both batteries?
Old 01-03-2021, 05:11 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Oceanside , CA
Yes, I"m just hoping there is another fix before I have to unscrew and lift the plywood access and mess up the foam padding/insulation glued along the corner.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Thank you! Yes, that was the first thing i thought to do and have everything unplugged from all inverter outlets. We will disconnect from shore power and try the negative battery post.....is this done on both batteries?
You just need to do the negative post that has the cable connected to it. Batteries are normally wired in parallel and you will have cables from the positive post on one battery and negative post on the other battery.

This suggestion is a shot in the dark but something to try before you have to do the other work. I really think you need to gain access to the inverter and flip the breaker switch off, then on to get it going again.

Were you able to contact Airstream support over the phone?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 01-04-2021, 08:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Yes, I"m just hoping there is another fix before I have to unscrew and lift the plywood access and mess up the foam padding/insulation glued along the corner.
Have you tried removing the access panel? I'm not understanding the foam insulation part. Maybe post a picture of the cover? Seems like you would just remove the access panel and you could see the inverter.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 01-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Walter, the foam seal is only double taped on one side (at least on my trailer), so no damage if you're careful. But you can get some more online or at Home Depot also. I am still perplexed that your trailer does not have an access hole cut with a lift out hatch to access the inverter, battery bus bars, and trailer wiring box. Very strange. Anyway, you may have noticed in the WFCO troubleshooting guide, if the breaker reset button does not solve the issue then the inverter internally is damaged. As you and others have indicated, it normally automatically resets by turning it off and on.... So not a good sign.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Oceanside , CA
BayouBiker, yes , it is strange that there is not an easier access panel to the inverter. We ended up unscrewing ALL the plywood screws under the passenger side twin bed and accessed the inverter.....this was done at an Airstream service center with the electrician also agreeing that it should have a better access panel. Was able to push the circuit breaker reset button and, wa-la...have AC power to the inverter outlets. May cut my own hinged access door in the plywood for when/if this happens again. Thank you for your time!
Old 01-04-2021, 03:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Definitely cut an access hatch, glad you were able to get it back online!
Old 01-04-2021, 03:37 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Oceanside , CA
Thank you richw46! We ended up pulling into an Airstream dealer service center and even the electrician had to unscrew ALL screws in the plywood sections under the bed to access the inverter.....separate corner piece was in so tight, both plywood sections had to be removed. He agreed that this 2019 model should have a better access panel. BTW, we tried the steps that included removing the negative battery post for over 5 minutes and hooking everything back up.....no luck in this case. Thank you for all your help!
Old 01-04-2021, 07:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Thank you richw46! We ended up pulling into an Airstream dealer service center and even the electrician had to unscrew ALL screws in the plywood sections under the bed to access the inverter.....separate corner piece was in so tight, both plywood sections had to be removed. He agreed that this 2019 model should have a better access panel. BTW, we tried the steps that included removing the negative battery post for over 5 minutes and hooking everything back up.....no luck in this case. Thank you for all your help!
Sorry you had to go to so much trouble by going to the dealership but glad it all worked out and you're up and running. At least now you know what it looks like under there and can make an improvement for access.

My AS has the inverter mounted on the floor under the front couch section so sorry I couldn't help with that part. Happy trails to you and your family.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 02-08-2021, 06:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
A little late, but good to know

While scouting out mounting locations for a DC/DC charger, I discovered that the curb side of the front storage compartment is removeable, giving good access to the wiring closet in addition to the removeable "hatch" under the curb side twin bed. Looks like simple screws at the four corners, and the carpet-covered panel with a screen vent comes out. Wasn't looking forward to diggin into the wire macrame entirely from the top hatch - at least not without a Davinci surgery robot and skilled operator.