Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2015, 08:27 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Be careful when buying a 'marine deep cycle' battery. These are essentially hybrids and are not true deep cycle units, as they are called on to perform double duty as a marine engine starter AND a deep cycle for lights, nav. equipment, etc.

Look for a true DEEP CYCLE battery for RV use.
Agreed, and good advice. You don't want the starter/trolling combo batteries.

Deka marine deep cycle / RV batteries are true deep cycle.
East Penn Manufacturing | Recreational vehicle batteries

I suggest the Deka deep cycle marine/RV because the OP didn't spend a lot of time dry camping. He was looking for a good second choice. The Deka marine deep cycle takes a lot of punishment. When you're bass fishing you use the trolling motor a lot and bring the battery level down pretty far, day after day. They are less costly and available through Lowes.

Deka also makes an AGM but if you're going that route I'd get the Lifeline or Trojan brand. I opted for Lifeline and have been pleased.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Crestview , Florida
New batteries

I replaced my converter/charger with the PD4655 with the charge wizard appx. $230.00 and batteries with 2 6 volt deep cycle wet cell batteries $300.00. So for less than the $555.00 for the diehards I now have a much better system than original system from AS very happy keeps batteries charged and in line within battery requirements from battery maker. I also put together a small 180 watt portable solar system two panels $300.00 morningstar charge controller about $60.00 and about $75.00 wires and connectors. I'm able to park AS in shade and place panels in the sun away from camper. With this system I'm able to stay out until the water runs out or the waste tanks fill. Rand
grizbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
Quote:
I replaced my converter/charger with the PD4655 with the charge wizard appx. $230.00 and batteries with 2 6 volt deep cycle wet cell batteries $300.00. So for less than the $555.00 for the diehards I now have a much better system than original system from AS very happy keeps batteries charged and in line within battery requirements from battery maker. I also put together a small 180 watt portable solar system two panels $300.00 morningstar charge controller about $60.00 and about $75.00 wires and connectors. I'm able to park AS in shade and place panels in the sun away from camper. With this system I'm able to stay out until the water runs out or the waste tanks fill. Rand
Sounds like you've made some nice improvements.
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Wow! I just started reading at #1 and never noticed the thread dates back to 2009. These old ones should be closed, accessible as read-only, but closed.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 04-01-2015, 04:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Wow! I just started reading at #1 and never noticed the thread dates back to 2009. These old ones should be closed, accessible as read-only, but closed.
Why ? The info is still good and new people seem to join in on them.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post

My reply #17 explained the dilemma - there are literally hundreds of battery threads - many of which are similar and I didn't want to open a new one - so I had to pick an old one ...

Thanks for the info, gang. I went with the version the local RV dealer had in stock (similar stats to the original Interstate group 24s I replaced).

When we retire, I'm calling Lewster to discuss something completely different :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
[QUOTE=SteveSueMac;1601462]My reply #17 explained the dilemma - there are literally hundreds of battery threads - many of which are similar and I didn't want to open a new one - so I had to pick an old one ...
QUOTE]

I should have noticed since I started at #1. Sometimes I get distracted and forget to check the dates. I must have missed your #17 but I did see it after I posted my reply.

My mistake, not yours.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #28
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Buy a MADE IN TEXAS Interstate green top RV Deep Cycle battery! You wont be disappointed. The store branded batteries are not made to last. They are "cheaper" because they are built that way. Interstate backs up their goods with the best and easiest warranty replacement, period.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Interesting that I replace more Interstates due to premature failure than any other brand.

Just sayin'..............

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Lew got us Lifelines several years ago and we have had no problems. But Steve' seems to want a temporary fix. If you go out a lot even though it is weekends, maybe investing in better batteries is a good idea. Do you take longer trips once a year too? How long before you retire and can travel more? Will cheap or mediocre batteries last that long? Are you going to upgrade your converter so that you don't overcharge your batteries, no matter which kind you have?

If you are boondocking, it seems better batteries are worth it, but maybe you have a generator to recharge them every day. Depending on your circumstances, the answer may differ.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Interesting that I replace more Interstates due to premature failure than any other brand.

Just sayin'..............

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Probably because they are in trailers with inferior standard chargers that spend most of their life plugged in at RV sites or used once or twice a year and not properly maintained.
My first set lasted 7 years in a Bigfoot, my second in my last A/S were still going strong after 5 years.
My only complaint so far is the low capacity which I will rectify when these one die. But! I know how to maintain them.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Probably because they are in trailers with inferior standard chargers that spend most of their life plugged in at RV sites or used once or twice a year and not properly maintained.
My first set lasted 7 years in a Bigfoot, my second in my last A/S were still going strong after 5 years.
My only complaint so far is the low capacity which I will rectify when these one die. But! I know how to maintain them.

George
My factory Interstate's failed within 6 months and would not hold a charge. Interstate dealer gave me choice of free replacement or credit; I took credit toward AGM's. Very happy so far.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
I will amend my last statement regarding my Interstates to say that like you, my original interstates in my 2014 required 2ltrs of top up in the first 6 months, but the replacements have been behaving well for over a year.
I wonder, as there have been a number of 2014's reporting bad batteries, if A/S got some bad ones?
These were the first ones since 1997 that had given me grief.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
I don't know if this is true or not, but I was told by a dealer that most RVs don't come with batteries. The dealers add the batteries on the lot. Airstream does install batteries at the factory. Well… The dealers don't keep those airstream batteries charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
That posted before I was finished. Anyway I suspect a majority of the airstream batteries are damaged before they are ever purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
[QUOTE=richw46;1601629]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
My reply #17 explained the dilemma - there are literally hundreds of battery threads - many of which are similar and I didn't want to open a new one - so I had to pick an old one ...
QUOTE]

I should have noticed since I started at #1. Sometimes I get distracted and forget to check the dates. I must have missed your #17 but I did see it after I posted my reply.

My mistake, not yours.

No biggie at all! :-)
Old 04-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Lew got us Lifelines several years ago and we have had no problems. But Steve' seems to want a temporary fix. If you go out a lot even though it is weekends, maybe investing in better batteries is a good idea. Do you take longer trips once a year too? How long before you retire and can travel more? Will cheap or mediocre batteries last that long? Are you going to upgrade your converter so that you don't overcharge your batteries, no matter which kind you have?

If you are boondocking, it seems better batteries are worth it, but maybe you have a generator to recharge them every day. Depending on your circumstances, the answer may differ.

Gene

I bought my 2012 off the lot and picked it up in 2013. It was manufactured in Oct 2011. The batteries were in it when I first saw it in 2012 and I assume came with the trailer when made in 2011. No doubt they weren't cared for until I took the trailer home. So 18 months just sitting there and 2 years of use - I wasn't expecting miracles. :-)

I checked the water every other week - only had to add a few times in 2 years but there came a point where they just wouldn't keep a charge anymore.

With the replacements, I expect to maintain properly, keep on a trickle charger during the winter and get 4-5 years out of them - at which point, I won't quite be ready for retirement but I'll be ready to think about a complete electrical, solar and battery upgrade - gonna have to head to FL to convince Lewster to hook me up :-)

Next week - 2015 first camping trip. It's finally here! AAAAAAHHHH!!!! :-)
Old 04-02-2015, 07:36 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
I bought my 2012 off the lot and picked it up in 2013. It was manufactured in Oct 2011. The batteries were in it when I first saw it in 2012 and I assume came with the trailer when made in 2011. No doubt they weren't cared for until I took the trailer home. So 18 months just sitting there and 2 years of use - I wasn't expecting miracles. :-)

I checked the water every other week - only had to add a few times in 2 years but there came a point where they just wouldn't keep a charge anymore.

With the replacements, I expect to maintain properly, keep on a trickle charger during the winter and get 4-5 years out of them - at which point, I won't quite be ready for retirement but I'll be ready to think about a complete electrical, solar and battery upgrade - gonna have to head to FL to convince Lewster to hook me up :-)
That won't be very difficult.............I'm easy!!!
Old 04-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
The difficult part is convincing you to come to CT! :-)
Old 04-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
The difficult part is convincing you to come to CT! :-)
True! THAT will be difficult!!!