Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2021, 06:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
New EMS or not

Should I replace my surge protector with an EMS. My surge protector is nine years old. Having just replaced my AC and with this heat wave wondering if I need additional protection
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Holding onto a surge protector that old is like keeping a car that you’ve owned for 15 years. If you fear complexity and are willing to risk the inevitable malfunction and don’t want to know what you are missing in terms of new features... keep the old thing.
Personally, for the price of a new EMS, it seems a no brainer. Even my wife loves the features on our Bluetooth Hughes Watchdog, and she is NOT a tech person.
And you have a good point about the changing demands on our grid system. Brownouts may be more of a concern than surges, especially with all those power-ravenous fifth wheels out there.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
New EMS or not

Having had an air conditioning unit actually burn out due to prolonged low voltage prior to getting a new EMS/surge protector, I’d say it’s time for an upgrade. Power brownouts are getting common in many RV parks and, for that matter, homes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	506.5 KB
ID:	401712

The black box on the left in the photo is a permanent mounted EMS/surge protector behind my power center. The orange wiring is the 30-amp 120 volt input from the transfer switch and power ports. Both ports are now SmartPlugs. I added a new one for the generator that lives in the truck bed.

Name:	IMG_4581.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	499.0 KB
ID:	401714

This is a wall-mounted monitor panel and BlueSea Systems manual transfer switch I just got done installing.

Name:	IMG_0292.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	401713

This happens to be showing the output of our Champion 3400 watt dual fuel inverter generator powering our air conditioning in July in Texas heat…and plenty of humidity!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thank you so my next question is external or internal system. If internal I would have to have a professional install it. External I could have it here in two days what are your thoughts
Old 08-13-2021, 12:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Thank you so my next question is external or internal system. If internal I would have to have a professional install it. External I could have it here in two days what are your thoughts

Personal opinion is that internal is easier to use, hard to leave behind or get stolen. It protects against me forgetting to plug it in, as well. It also stays dry and out of the weather.

Mine has a lighted LCD indicator and bypass control panel that monitors it remotely. I’m one of those engineer types they talk about. I installed it and lots of other electrical stuff myself. If you’re not sure, do hire a professional.

Yeah, you will hear from folks afraid it could catch fire from a big surge. I have a fire extinguisher mounted two feet away from it under my rear desk, and another near the front door of the Airstream. I’m not worried.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
mkrum’s system has me salivating. My dangler has a paint drip on it, and the indicator lights are always on. Between those two factors nay and yay wrt pilfering, I don’t worry about theft. It’s not worth much to anyone who hasn’t stolen a trailer already.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 06:03 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
We are not 'plug-in' Campers. And use a portable.
It has been plugged maybe 6 times in 16 Seasons.
If it fries it is easier to return for repair, it is a PD.

Just our choice...KISS.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-13-2021, 07:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes. You should certainly have a EMS. I use a portable one.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I will go with the external one it is now between the Huges with Bluetooth or Progressive as they both get con sistenly good reviews both are 30 amps
Old 08-13-2021, 07:41 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
We “upgraded” our surge protector to a Progressive Dynamics 30A external. It provides much more information and tons more protection than the old surge protector. I’m not worried about theft, but realize anything could be stolen.

So far it has “saved” us several times…one for bo ground and multiple times for low voltage.
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Just purchased at unitedRv RV Surge Guard - 30 Amp with LCD Display 34931: $248
playc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:14 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You very much want an EMS. I would stick with a name brand. I happen to like Progressive. Huges has a lot of fans as well.

Having an EMS sit out in the rain and slop for months at a time does not seem to do them any good. Having a *really* low poll that puts them in a puddle .... yikes .... I'd go with an internal and a remote display. Being able to *see* what's going on easily is very nice.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:46 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
We had our internal EMS (Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C) give its life to save our AS a couple months ago. I applied for and was approved for a warranty replacement, but due to the current electronics parts shortage, we're still waiting for the replacement to arrive.

Not sure if that's any different for an external EMS (for warrantee replacements), but it has been frustrating. We're really vigilant to verify correct post wiring using a plug in tester before connecting to shore power. That doesn't help brown outs, but at least we won't immediately fry anything... We're also really vigilant about putting everything (fridge/water heater) on gas if we're going to run the AC.
WBCCI #1783, Region 2, Ontario Canada Unit
Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
External for me

I use and like the Progressive external 30 Amp EMS.

I’m amazed how often it says “E0, PE4” which means all is well, but at some point it shut down for low voltage then reset and continued feeding power. Evidently, transient low voltage is more common than I knew, even here at home.

I’ve had two of them fail over about 5 years. Both replaced for free under warranty. Maybe keeping it outside is an issue like Uncle Bob says. If the inside ones fail that often it would be a pain since they have to be mounted and wired. Regardless, I’m happy and sticking with what’s working for me.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:37 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by playc View Post
Just purchased at unitedRv RV Surge Guard - 30 Amp with LCD Display 34931: $248
It’s Southwire. Is it a good and reliable brand?

https://youtu.be/ydd7XDLBxD0
playc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by playc View Post
It’s Southwire. Is it a good and reliable brand?

https://youtu.be/ydd7XDLBxD0
Hi

I'd pay the additional $10 and get the Progressive instead .... that's just me. I've never owned one of the Southwire products.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1992 26' Land Yacht
Wickes , Arkansas
I would definitely agree with Uncle Bob's opinion. I have had the Progressive 30 amp internal unit for a few years and have found it to function perfectly. To me, there is no alternative to having an internal EMS. It is never forgotten to be put into the system and you never forget to pick it up from the post when you are leaving. Also, it is always out of the weather.
Arkansas Razorback Airstream Club
Squairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:20 AM   #18
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
I use and like the Progressive external 30 Amp EMS.

I’m amazed how often it says “E0, PE4” which means all is well, but at some point it shut down for low voltage then reset and continued feeding power. Evidently, transient low voltage is more common than I knew, even here at home.

I’ve had two of them fail over about 5 years. Both replaced for free under warranty. Maybe keeping it outside is an issue like Uncle Bob says. If the inside ones fail that often it would be a pain since they have to be mounted and wired. Regardless, I’m happy and sticking with what’s working for me.
Low voltage seems to be so common I am now considering the Autoformer
Old 08-13-2021, 12:01 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
1966 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Dover , Delaware
I installed the Progressive 30 AMP EMS in my 30 foot classic myself with no problems. I has done a great job and I don’t have to worry about theft or remembering to hook up or taking time to use in rainy weather. PM me if you would like some help or advice. I live n your area.
helwigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:18 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Here and There , West Coast
We have a Progressive Ind. 30 Amp EMS. I played with it a bit using a variac transformer, measuring with a Fluke meter and it was right on with high and low voltage. In a momentary power blip the EMS will delay re-powering the outlet to protect your AC. We selected the outside model after reading in reviews some complained about AC hum noise with the internal model. The case is well built and weather resistant, not a small device. The plug cable has a hardware piece which when used with a padlock and chain may prevent the opportunist thief from taking. Any kind of surge protector is considered unreliable after time. Most common rule is ten years but if used frequently or hit by a strike should be replaced sooner. Internally the parts (primarily the MOV) become unreliable for surge protection. The voltage thresholds are not part of the transient surge protection. The unit is serviceable. Amazon has an okay price. We purchased ours at Camping World. They beat the Amazon price by five percent honoring a military discount.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote