Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2021, 05:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
My thanks to all you provided me valuable info. As I went with the huges ems as it was less expensive on Amazon at 193 and delivery on Sunday
Again thanks to all
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:59 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We had a very interesting "dance" with ours last week. The 50A breaker in the pedestal was defective ( = worn out). The EMS would come up, the A/C would time out and come on. The breaker would "burp" and the EMS tripped. Wonderfull stuff ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:17 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Personal opinion is that internal is easier to use, hard to leave behind or get stolen. It protects against me forgetting to plug it in, as well. It also stays dry and out of the weather.

Mine has a lighted LCD indicator and bypass control panel that monitors it remotely. I’m one of those engineer types they talk about. I installed it and lots of other electrical stuff myself. If you’re not sure, do hire a professional.

Yeah, you will hear from folks afraid it could catch fire from a big surge. I have a fire extinguisher mounted two feet away from it under my rear desk, and another near the front door of the Airstream. I’m not worried.
When a lightning strike hit a pole in the RV park my external Progressive took a hit that arched from Progressives case back to the pole leaving burned spots on both the progressive case and the pedestal. We also had to take the plug out of the pedestal and use a hammer to break the plug off my Progressive plug. I would much rather have this happen outside my electrical compartment in my RV and not arching across components in my RV. I would never run an internal EMS without running at the very least a surge protector at the pole. My RV took zero damage except for the Progressive which they did replace at no cost.

A Class A down from me had a transfer switch/surge protector and the coach was totaled with burn marks in the ceiling and walls from the strike burning wires.
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote