Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
New Converter on the way PD9260

The original Parallax 7355 has seemingly hit the skids. High pitched whine, unable to keep batteries charged, etc. Trailer built in Sept 06 as a 07' model and this has already gone south. I guess this is par for the course with htis model.

No worries, I can handle the fix myself with hopefully a better product than the original. a new Progressive Dynamics Intelli power 9260 with the charge wizard and external pendant. Next will be two new batteries and hopefully this will have us back to normal. Went looking for the Xantrex XADC 60 and they were no longer available. PD seems to be made in US so I will give it a shot. Next will be to calibrate the black tank micro-pulse? sensor and panel. It indicates green al the way to the top. Just had a new sensor installed and it appears they did not re-calibrate.
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
New Charger Converter is in. Seemed to be working fine. One of the batteries was dry and I think may be wasted. Filled it up with distilled water and the voltage at the batteries was at 13.6 when I last checked them and the Charge Wizard was flashing rapidly. Will check it when I get home today.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Krazyjohnny,
You'll love the new converter. We replaced the origianl in our '87 with the same model you are using. It is virtually silent and so far it has treated the batteries fine. The '87 is plugged in all season long at a permanent site and has't given us a moments trouble.

We liked it so much I replaced the stock converter in our '06 with the same thing after the stock converter boiled a one your old battery.

The charge wizard pendant is great for seeing what trhe charger is doing and being able to change which charge mode it is in.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
Deitz,

thanks for the info. I am glad to know I hopefully got the right thing. I could not tell the difference between the 9100s and 9200s. Now I just need to see if the batteries will hold or need to be replaced.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
New Charger Converter is in. Seemed to be working fine. One of the batteries was dry and I think may be wasted. Filled it up with distilled water and the voltage at the batteries was at 13.6 when I last checked them and the Charge Wizard was flashing rapidly. Will check it when I get home today.
That's how my new 9200 behaved when I first installed it. The Charge Wizard flashed rapidly till everything reached an equilibrium and now only blinks every now and then indicating standby mode unless there has been an interruption in shore power. Periodically the led goes on indicating Boost Mode. All normal.

As for the dry battery, I also had that experience. Mine is definitely bad, I just haven't replaced it yet. I'll bet yours is bad too.

Best of luck.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
Big thanks should go to Randy and his site at www.bestconverter.com. what a great resource. Also to William Hemme who posted his install on that site. Airstream should hire that guy to write their owners manual for each specific model. Nicely done sir!

Now for some new batteries. I am hopeful that the SRM 27B form Interstate will fit the box. The only thing I worry about is the extra 1.75 in length. hmmm. tim eto get the tape out.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Alabama
Converter replacement.

I have a 1990 Excella and plan to install a PD9260c but am not sure how to wire the wire from the old converter that shows the condition of the battery and charger to the new converter any suggestions

Thanks
J Mitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
Krazyjohnny,
You'll love the new converter. We replaced the origianl in our '87 with the same model you are using. It is virtually silent and so far it has treated the batteries fine. The '87 is plugged in all season long at a permanent site and has't given us a moments trouble.

We liked it so much I replaced the stock converter in our '06 with the same thing after the stock converter boiled a one your old battery.

The charge wizard pendant is great for seeing what trhe charger is doing and being able to change which charge mode it is in.
jmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
I have a 1990 Excella and plan to install a PD9260c but am not sure how to wire the wire from the old converter that shows the condition of the battery and charger to the new converter any suggestions

Thanks
J Mitch
Hi J Mitch,
The wiring to the battery level indicator lights goes to the fuse panel on my '83 Excella. I didn't have to do anything except hook up the positive and negative cables and the ground. The Remote Pendant is a new connection, of course, but it simply has a phone connector (RJ11 type) that you just plug in.

One thing that is missing is a lead for the indicator light in the System Monitor that shows you are connected to AC power. The new converters simply do not have one of these connections. For a discussion of this see http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...tor-41379.html.

Be sure and clean all your connections and use dielectric grease (link to Amazon for illustration, but you can get the stuff locally at any auto parts supply) on the connections to inhibit future corrosion. It's good for any connections or bulbs you change out, so it's good to have around.

Installing an Inteli-Power is really straightforward if you have a separate fuse block like my Excella. I assume your '90 is the same. I think the Univolts with the built-in fuse block were mostly older units. Perhaps someone will chime in with the years for them.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Alabama
Thanks for the info believe I will use the plug in guage that tells condition of shore power will tell me shore power is on. But I still do not know for sure the third wire coming out of the Univolt is.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
Thanks for the info believe I will use the plug in guage that tells condition of shore power will tell me shore power is on. But I still do not know for sure the third wire coming out of the Univolt is.
That sounds like the one to the shore power indicator light. What color is the wire? How about a photo?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Alabama
The wire is a smaller off red it comes out of the univolt at the same area as the red to the battery disconnect and the white ground
Old 03-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Vaughan is correct. That third smaller wire is the lead that powers the light on the contol panel that lets you know you are hooked up to shore power.

In our '87 I was able to trace that wire to the fuse block and simply disconnect it. I use one of the plug in testers to make sure we have good shore power and proper grounding. I leave it pluged into the outlet under the dinnette table.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 03-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Alabama
After reviewing the info I bel;ieve it is the ac light. Will try to go to Progressive dynamics and see if they can suggest a way to hook it to the 9260c if not will leave it disconnected.

Thanks
J Mitch
Old 03-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
It cannot be connected to the new converter. If you really want to have the A/C indicator lit on the control panel, your best bet is to find a cheap 12 volt transformer and plug it into the outlet that the converter plugs into and wire the tranformer to the A/C indicator light. This is mentioned in the thread linked by Vaughan in an earlier post.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
All,

went back to the 24 size batteries for the simple reason they fit right in. I know that is taking the easy way, but at this point I am all about that. I have had to get the front skin replaced and the wall reinforced (3 mos at the shop and $2700) then this. I am a little worn out.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
All,

went back to the 24 size batteries for the simple reason they fit right in. I know that is taking the easy way, but at this point I am all about that. I have had to get the front skin replaced and the wall reinforced (3 mos at the shop and $2700) then this. I am a little worn out.
That's what I'd do too. I have plenty on my plate besides batteries.

Glad you are up and running.