Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
New Battery Question

I may have a photo of the old Battery, so we got a NEW battery yesterday and set it in place. If I remember the Previous owner told me not to hook the battery up, as it would charge and then continue to charge....(?) We would ordinarily use the battery in here to operate the electric jack in a remote powerless (AC) situation. Or emergency lights if really needed.
So I set the new battery in place and attached the negative pole, and left the positive un hooked and wired safely to the side with a pipe cleaner wire.
How do you guys ( and gals) manage your battery? This is a photo of the old battery right before I removed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1310.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	178028  
Old 02-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, the original converter in my rig, a Univolt, would indeed overcharge my batteries to the point of failure. So, I bought a nice three stage converter from Best Converters and have lived happily ever after.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Newer models have a battery disconnect switch. If you don't have one, suggest that you purchase one from a RV or Marine supply store and install it to disconnect the batteries after they are charged. Not necessary for a couple of nights, just for longer term storage. Upgrading to a three stage charger is a good option.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Just as a safety note, It is a much better Idea to connect the positive terminal and disconnect the negative as desired. Much less chance of dangerous sparks. Every battery and jumpstarting instructional manual I've ever read agreed on this.
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Another safety note, you must have the battery connected when towing so the breakaway switch will work.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote