Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
"New" batteries

Got my new coach a few weeks ago. When I got the longer jumpers in to allow me to check the battery specific gravity, I found each battery had a weak cell at one end. The one that was worse was replaced by our local interstate dealer, but he said the other one tested ok for CCA. After a couple partial discharge cycles, the battery that was not replaced is still about .100 lower in one cell at the end, and the fluid level had dropped slightly.

This makes me uncomfortable. Same exact thing happened when I got my Bambi. At the time I just went to Costco and replaced the one battery.

Really don't feel like doing that again. How do I know if I have a problem or not?
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Either replace it now or live with it. I would probably use it until it dies. Especially since I do not check SG.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
Got my new coach a few weeks ago. When I got the longer jumpers in to allow me to check the battery specific gravity, I found each battery had a weak cell at one end. The one that was worse was replaced by our local interstate dealer, but he said the other one tested ok for CCA. After a couple partial discharge cycles, the battery that was not replaced is still about .100 lower in one cell at the end, and the fluid level had dropped slightly.

This makes me uncomfortable. Same exact thing happened when I got my Bambi. At the time I just went to Costco and replaced the one battery.

Really don't feel like doing that again. How do I know if I have a problem or not?

A story as old as time. RV batteries damaged by misuse or neglect after leaving the factory. Airstream or the battery manufacturer should warrant them for you. Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Mine too. Group 24s drained too much at dealer limiting life. I upgraded to group 27s after the first season. Plus added a battery monitor.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
Mine too. Group 24s drained too much at dealer limiting life. I upgraded to group 27s after the first season. Plus added a battery monitor.

I guess I’ll wait til the one battery dies and then switch to T105’s. Monitor went in the first week. I don’t know how to tell if it degrades further except to check SG. Don’t want to wait to be stranded with a dead fridge and maybe no heat.
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The warranty on the battery does not apply to SG measurements. The manufacturer only covers the electrical properties of the battery. Either it holds as much energy as they spec it or it does not. As long as it hits whatever spec they claim for it, it's a "good" battery. That's true if it came out of the factory yesterday or if it's been sitting around for a couple years.

This is in no way unique to one manufacturer. They all do it the same way.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote