Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Mount Pleasant , Michigan
New AS Plugged In for Winter Storage

Just hauled my new Flying Cloud 19cb from New Jersey to Michigan in a snow and ice storm and thankfully made it safely. I am storing the AS in my in-laws barn plugged into a 20 amp plug converted for my 30 amp inlet and in-between I am using a Southwire Surge Guard RV Power Protection unit. I have received conflicting information that this could lead to over charging of the batteries. My understanding is that with the 3 stage converter on this camper my setup should act as a trickle charger and maintain the batteries?

Any input on rather this is an acceptable setup would be greatly appreciated. Also happy to consider other alternatives. I should mention I have the factory installed solar package so my batteries are the AGM variety.

Thank You!!
TrailDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard!! 🥂👍

If your not able to check the AS every 10 days or so...

My no-nothing recommendation would be to charge them fully and disconnect.

POI...my 11yr old AGM's have been in the basement for 8mos, haven't had to hook-up the IOTA yet.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2164.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	332587  
Old 01-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
If your not able to check the AS every 10 days or so...

My no-nothing recommendation would be to charge them fully and disconnect.

POI...my 11yr old AGM's have been in the basement for 8mos, haven't had to hook-up the IOTA yet.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Thanks Bob!
I could certainly have someone check it as often as needed. What would they be looking for? Volt issues or issues reported by the surge protection?

Thanks Again!
Old 01-29-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Two Places , Sticks & Bricks
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDude View Post
Just hauled my new Flying Cloud 19cb from New Jersey to Michigan in a snow and ice storm and thankfully made it safely. I am storing the AS in my in-laws barn plugged into a 20 amp plug converted for my 30 amp inlet and in-between I am using a Southwire Surge Guard RV Power Protection unit. I have received conflicting information that this could lead to over charging of the batteries. My understanding is that with the 3 stage converter on this camper my setup should act as a trickle charger and maintain the batteries?

Any input on rather this is an acceptable setup would be greatly appreciated. Also happy to consider other alternatives. I should mention I have the factory installed solar package so my batteries are the AGM variety.

Thank You!!
Read page 5-9 in your Owners Manual.
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ers-Manual.pdf
(1973 31' Excella, 1978 31' Excella, 1987 32' Excella, 1999 30' Excella, 2000 25' Safari)
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDude View Post
Thanks Bob!
I could certainly have someone check it as often as needed. What would they be looking for? Volt issues or issues reported by the surge protection?

Thanks Again!
Parasitic battery drain...(inverter, sound system, LP detector), that is why battery isolation or complete disconnect is the best way to avoid it.

When we were using the AGM's if they were connected, with the use/store in store mode, I checked every 10 days and plugged in at 12.4v if needed.
If you have someone available that is an option for you...plug in for 24hrs when they reach 12.4v.

At the beginning I would remove and store in the basement. But for the last 6 Seasons I left them in the AS, isolated with a battery disconnect switch.
If fully charged in the Fall they lasted fine 'til Spring without having to recharge.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Read page 5-9 in your Owners Manual.
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...ers-Manual.pdf
Thanks Alan,
I have read that page in my owners manual which leads me to believe I am good leaving it plugged in. However, being completely new to storing an RV and having little background with these types of systems I was looking to affirm that my thinking was correct. Assuming you have read what you have directed me to ready are you in agreement that I am ok leaving the AS plugged in? The manual does not mention leaving it plugged in for months at a time with freezing temps.

Thank you for your assistance.

Jeff
Old 01-29-2019, 04:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Two Places , Sticks & Bricks
My Safari is plugged in 24/7, and has been for literally years.
I leave my trailer plugged in year round except when I travel. I have had no issues.
I changed the original single stage converter to multi-stage converter, several years ago, which has a similar charge pattern as yours.

Optionally, your battery will be ok for months not plugged in IF you remove all parasitic loads by completely disconnecting the cables from the battery. Using the store switch does not accomplish complete disconnect.

You are in a much colder environment that I am. So I presume based on Bob's advice, taking non charging batteries to an interior space would be a good idea in your area.
(1973 31' Excella, 1978 31' Excella, 1987 32' Excella, 1999 30' Excella, 2000 25' Safari)
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Your trailer has the newer style converter which can be left plugged in indefinitely with out boiling the batteries. Some of the replies you have received are good advice for older units but not necessarily appropriate for your newer one. We have a 2018 which has been plugged in for months on end with no problems what so ever. Voltage stays right at 13.1 and I check the water level about every 6 weeks but have never needed to add any. We picked up our 2018 in June of 2017 so this is the second winter we've had it plugged in with no problems. It is in a covered unheated space with winter temps ranging from single digit to an occasional high that isn't freezing.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:28 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
Your trailer has the newer style converter which can be left plugged in indefinitely with out boiling the batteries. Some of the replies you have received are good advice for older units but not necessarily appropriate for your newer one. We have a 2018 which has been plugged in for months on end with no problems what so ever. Voltage stays right at 13.1 and I check the water level about every 6 weeks but have never needed to add any. We picked up our 2018 in June of 2017 so this is the second winter we've had it plugged in with no problems. It is in a covered unheated space with winter temps ranging from single digit to an occasional high that isn't freezing.
'older' units?...the unit referenced above has had a 4 stage charger with AGM batteries up until last Season when we switched to lithium's.
Why plug in a trailer if it's not needed?
I guess it's ok if your 100% confident with your supply and the AS wiring...sorry I like the POM of charging only when needed. 🤓

As I noted our AGM's would still be at 12.6 after sitting with out charging all winter.(WNY)
TETO👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
'older' units?...the unit referenced above has had a 4 stage charger with AGM batteries up until last Season when we switched to lithium's.
Why plug in a trailer if it's not needed?
I guess it's ok if your 100% confident with your supply and the AS wiring...sorry I like the POM of charging only when needed. 🤓

As I noted our AGM's would still be at 12.6 after sitting with out charging all winter.(WNY)
TETO👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Sorry Bob - didn't mean to offend. I felt like the OP was under the impression that it was okay to leave it plugged in and was looking for confirmation. I agree that there are many different scenarios where that might not make sense, even if it doesn't hurt the batteries. In my case I like keeping my trailer plugged in because I get separation anxiety and feel the need to go visit her on a frequent basis. At least once very week or two I am turning on the interior lights and contemplating my next modification, or simply sitting down and longing for winter to pass. If I were going to leave her totally unattended all winter then I would probably take the batteries out and put them in the house on a trickle charger.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Stony Point , New York
I leave my 2014 FC20 plugged in all year long even during the cold upstate NY Winters’s. Did the same with my Jayco before the AS. Never a problem and the batteries stayed fully charged. If you bought it from Colonial in NJ they are a great dealership and am sure can guide you correctly. SAFE TRAVELS
Stevelandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:50 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevelandco View Post
I leave my 2014 FC20 plugged in all year long even during the cold upstate NY Winters’s. Did the same with my Jayco before the AS. Never a problem and the batteries stayed fully charged. If you bought it from Colonial in NJ they are a great dealership and am sure can guide you correctly. SAFE TRAVELS
I did get it from Colonial and they are great to deal with!! While shopping / researching I watched a ton of vids from Patrick and coincidently found a used unit at Colonial and made the connection... he had me sold on the new 2019 over the phone in about 15 minutes. It saved me from going to Salt Lake City for a new 2018 unit. A bit more but loaded and the newer 3 year warranty that stared with the 2019's.

Thank for the additional input!!
Old 02-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If it were me, and I was storing it over the winter, I'd remove the batteries, bring them home, winterize the unit at the barn and not worry if I wasn't there every week.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Memphis , Tennessee
I have my Tommy Bahama stored in the barn. I am using a heavy duty timer and I have it set to charge the batteries for five hours per day. So far, it is keeping them adequately charged.
Drichers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Madison , Wisconsin
I keep mine plugged into a 20amp circuit inside an enclosed storage facility. I go visit it once a week and check on the charge status. So far so good. I did find the shore power GFI tripped once but it is not a repeating problem. At that time it was down to 12.0 instead of its normal 13.4.
EricF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevelandco View Post
I have the same year and model, and I think we have the old-fashioned single-stage converter, don't we? Have you checked the water levels in the batteries, and their specific gravity? I would be surprised if you have not damaged them IMO.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote