Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2017, 10:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Kent , Washington
My Victron BMV712 Install

Alright, didn’t want to keep Hijacking other threads on this. Could those of you in the know take a look and let me know let me know what you think please?

Battery A (road side lithium)- has a 6awg from negative to the negative on Battery B. It also has a 6awg cable going from negative into the trailer, connecting to the bus bar and all the other trailer negatives/grounds.

Battery B (curbside lithium) has 4awg going from negative terminal into trailer directly to the inverter, as well as the short 6awg from Battery A.

What I did was cut the 4awg cable in the electrical space on my 26U (front roadside under dinnette bench) and installed the ring terminals on cut ends. I picked this cable as it was the thickest (less resistance/more accurate in my mind lol). I installed the 4awg cable directly from Battery B onto shunt side 1 and ran 4awg cable from the inverter to side 2 of the shunt. Then I mounted a 6awg jumper from the bus bar (where the 6awg from Battery and all other negatives are located) to side 2 of the shunt.

So to recap, the shunt has one 4awg directly from Battery B negative to to side 1. Then going from shunt side 2, one 4awg to inverter and one 6awg to common bus bar. Ta Da. I also cheated maybe and ran the positive for the shunt directly to the positive bus and mounted it to the same bolt as battery A’s cable. I had read it’s simply being used to power the meter so I figured that might work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	489AD97D-8623-4DC4-91ED-46B65EB44D13.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	299245   Click image for larger version

Name:	95008BF2-3B2B-4FA9-BB41-EEB9DE0CC267.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	299246  

Name:	32B13BD3-6120-476D-9FB6-F5C265679CC9.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	299247  
DannyClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Kent , Washington
Ps.

Results on the BMV712:
I do have it set up according to Battleborns recommendations in their video. I’m currently plugged into 50amp shore power.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A29BBD84-D32F-4BF8-9150-CDE10C58E7BE.png
Views:	135
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	299251   Click image for larger version

Name:	70E5A797-7C67-4CF1-AF74-8892B0419D40.png
Views:	106
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	299252  

Old 11-16-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I am somewhat confused by your wiring, normally you would want to have the shunt between the battery and *all* load, including the bus bar and inverter. Otherwise the battery monitor won't ever be accurate as you will have loads/charging bypassing it regularly.

You might want to draw the wiring out, including the positive feeds, on a piece of paper and take a photo of that. Is this a factory installed dual-battery setup? In your current setup you have 2 paths for energy to enter/leave the batteries, so I don't think your BMS712 can ever be accurate. You need to have a single negative lead out of the collective battery bank connecting directly to the shunt. Perhaps this dual-lead was done to make up for the 6-guage wiring, how big is your inverter?
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:56 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I agree that from your description it's really tough to understand that you have the negatives wired correctly.

The positive into the BMV is what gives you the "voltage" reading on the app. The closer the 12V lead is to the battery, the less that reading will be influenced by the load current. It's not a big deal, but it is worth considering.

I would suggest that adding a temperature probe to the setup is worth doing. Knowing the temperature of the battery can be a very useful thing. No I don't get a kickback on temperature probe purchases

Setting up the voltage limits on the battery should be on your to do list. That and maybe hooking the relay up for "out of range" protection.

Lots of fun !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Kent , Washington
So Silver, what it sounds like I should do is replace the 6awg that I have running to the bus bar (from the battery A)and then the second terminal of the shunt with another negative from the Battery A (-) terminal to the feed side of the Shunt (so both negatives will be on the feed side of the shunt). Then run a jumper from the Bus bar to load side of the shunt, with the one for the inverter? So two in, two out? Trust me, you don’t want me to do a drawing lol. It’ll look like something from the Paleolithic age. Here’s a. Pic of the battery arrangement. I highlighted the two negatives yellow and circled the wires for the OEM Zamp plug install.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BC415D9A-8D76-4528-8D76-741775C4B2E3.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	299272   Click image for larger version

Name:	0357217D-0C53-4B99-97E7-31DA955F623E.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	299273  

Old 11-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Kent , Washington
Here’s a pic of the factory install with interstate batteries before I started hacking:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FAEED430-C88C-4421-9E21-E06DA7EDD8E7.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	299276  
Old 11-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
This is exactly what I was saying in the other thread. All your negative loads should go to one side of the the shunt and on the other side of the shunt all the connections to the negative side of all the batteries. You are bypassing the shunt in you current setup. Like I said before a cleaner way would be to connect your batteries together in the box and only feed on one wire for each polarity. That removes a lot of confusion.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Kent , Washington
With the 2awg Gator? Did the factory do it this way to save money on wire? I don’t mind doing it that way, it’ll just make it a much larger project sourcing the wire and ring terminals. I’ll need to redo all of them to 2awg, correct? And I’m pretty sure 2awg isn’t going to fit on the positive bus either. I went to three different places to get the two I used for the 4awg inverter terminals. If what your doing falls outside of standard parts, no one inventories the oddball stuff. I miss radio shack.

Forgot to mention Silver, the inverter is 1000watt.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I would look at Amazon and your local welding supply. Here were I live I use Princess Auto for the wire and I just purchased welding wire by the foot. Not sure if they are in your area. Not sure if Harbor Freight carries any of it. But in the US you have far more options than anywhere else. I'm sure others on here can send you sources if you ask. I bought a crimper on Amazon and works great. The crimps I bought at my local electronic surplus store. I also purchased red heat shrink for the positive wire so that both ends are labelled. The negative I just added black heat shrink over the crimped area. Makes for a cleaner install.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
If possible, use the adhesive/sealer filled Marine heat shrink tubing to keep moisture out of the crimps and corrosion from forming under the heat shrink...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:38 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Kent , Washington
Thanks guys. Out of frustration I just pulled the 6awg cable from the battery #2 and removed it entirely from the system. The 6awg jumper from the bus bar is still going to the load side of the shunt. Guess what happened? Nothing. My BMV712 is still reading exactly the same as it was prior to removing the cable. I suspect doing as you say Gator and just run a single 2awg negative cable from the battery compartment will be adequate. I’ll probably just leave the positive alone. I’ll run the positive wire for the shunt/bmv power to the battery while I’m at it. I’ll also note one of those moments I feel like a sucker for buying into the marketing. This doesn’t equate to “Top of the Line” in my mind:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F4D8D042-5EA2-47D9-9E21-7700D8418973.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	299279  
Old 11-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Kent , Washington
Oh, and UncleBob, the temp probe is on the list of things to do:-). Thanks !
Old 11-16-2017, 06:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyClark View Post
With the 2awg Gator? Did the factory do it this way to save money on wire? I don’t mind doing it that way, it’ll just make it a much larger project sourcing the wire and ring terminals. I’ll need to redo all of them to 2awg, correct? And I’m pretty sure 2awg isn’t going to fit on the positive bus either. I went to three different places to get the two I used for the 4awg inverter terminals. If what your doing falls outside of standard parts, no one inventories the oddball stuff. I miss radio shack.

Forgot to mention Silver, the inverter is 1000watt.
All info assumes cable run from battery to power junction area is 10' or less

I'll warn that I tend to over-engineer things, but I wouldn't call any of the items I'm recommending superfluous. I will warn that I am also not a certified electrician, but I do work in some (AC) power planning that gets validated by electricians at some point. I tend to err on the side of caution and am a fan of fuses/breakers, because having wiring or devices or batteries act as the fuse is more excitement than i enjoy. I have also self assembled many LiFEPO4 and LiPo battery packs including balancing circuitry, built my own chargers, etc. I wouldn't call myself an expert on automotive/marine/RV power distribution systems though, but I did a lot of planning after buying our AS to support our upgrades.

Do you currently have 4awg and 6awg wires running from the battery tray to the power junction area? Assuming the cable length is <10-feet, the BlueSea calculator app (on iOS) suggests that that 4awg would be good to 105amps...105amps or ~1200W, which may be inadequate for your aggregate load. http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com (they also have a free phone app)

I would install Blue Sea 5191 fuse block and a fuse rated for the wire size you pick on the positive terminal of the battery. Your batteries are capable of 400amps for 30 seconds, and I doubt you are going to run cabling that is capable of that. If you do want to upgrade then it seems 10' of 4/0 is ~$183, 1/0 is $98, 2awg is $75, 4awg is $0 as you already have it. Obviously if actual cable length is less it may be cheaper than the prices.

Outside:
I would run 1 positive and 1 negative cable from the battery tray to the power box. If you are upsizing the wiring from the battery into the trailer, you will also need to upsize the cabling between the batteries...but thankfully those short ones are relatively cheap and you could just go with 4/0 if you never want to think about it again (4/0 1-foot pair is $38, 2-foot $49). 4/0 is rated for 200amp, which matches the internal breaker of the battery...so the internal breaker would always protect the wiring. The Blue Sea 5191 is small enough that you should be able to easily fit it within the battery tray, I can't see enough in the photos for clearance for a breaker.

I would also just connect the solar back directly to the battery as it was before, doesn't really matter where you put it since they are already fused and represent such a minuscule energy source in comparison to the battery cabling.

Within the trailer:
I would have the positive terminate on something like a Blue Sea 187 series breaker. The 187 then also becomes a known actual power off/store switch for the trailer (keep in mind it will disconnect everything, including propane detector, break away brakes, etc). The breaker should be sized for the load the "output" wire size. (you can decide on the necessity of this breaker or going with a different way of connecting power up)

You should be able to re-use wiring in this area as you can.

Out of the output of the breaker I would run a 4 or 6awg to your store/use switch and a 2 or 4awg feed to the inverter. You can then connect the positive power feed for your BMS-712 to the input side of the breaker.

I would have the negative feed from the battery terminate on the BMS-712 shunt. Out of the load side of the shunt I would run a (matching size to positive) wire to the negative distribution bar and a matching gauge to the inverter.

I ended up ordering all of my stuff on Amazon for my install, and I pretty much did the above. I bought my power cables on Amazon as well, if you search for "Spartan Power cables" you will find them. They offer really high quality cables with ring terminals. I had to drill the 5/16" ring terminal out slightly to make it fit the BMS-712 shunt, FYI. Some of their cables may have 3/8" ring terminals.

In my case my wire runs were very short, as I moved my batteries under the front bed right next to the power terminals and upsized from the factory 6awg to 4awg with breakers/fuses to match.

The lowest cost option is to just use the 4awg and fuse it in the battery box for 100A, or a circuit breaker if you can fit it in there so that when you do load too much that you can just reset it. The DC load in your trailer, outside of the inverter, is likely pretty low. Assuming you have all LED lighting and you don't have a 12V capable fridge then it is really just if you ever hit the peak output of your inverter depending on what the voltage sag looks like...remember your inverter is rated in watts, and as voltage drops amperage increases.

Whatever fuse(s) you buy, be sure to buy a spare to have with you. If you ever use the spare, replace it when you can.

The temperature probe for the battery from the BMS-702 does work fine with the BMS-712, even though all of the packing says it is for the 702 only. Of course I not sure what it would look like to make that long enough to reach your batteries, and since you aren't operating a relay from the BMS-712 the temperature is purely informational (and may be used to help make SOC more accurate?). The BattleBorn itself will disable charging/load if your temperature falls outside of operational ranges.

If you want to add more complexity and a safety net, you could look at having the BMS-712 operate a disconnect relay...perhaps to disconnect your inverter at some threshold to allow preserving power for the actual necessity items (e.g. propane detector, lights, refrigerator). The BattleBorn internal BMS will protect the batteries themselves from under-voltage.

If you never use the inverter, then you could just remove it from the equation. I am not a fan of inverters, I have a portable one that I can plug in of I need to use the TV to watch emergency weather broadcasts or something...but I plan to operate on only DC power devices when we aren't on shore power.

This discussion reveals one of the many problems with the "suggest an inverter" threads where everyone just suggests getting the biggest you can buy, without understanding the implications of the cabling to power a 1000W or greater inverter. Most 1000W inverters have spec sheets requesting 2AWG wiring just for the inverter itself.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Oh, one additional item here. The way this is all wired now, you won't have any accounting for solar charging within the BMS-712. While you are monkeying around with the glob-job (mine looks similar) for the wiring hole in the floor you may as well run new wiring to bring the solar connections inside, or at least the negative feed and add it to the load side of the shunt...either directly or on the negative distribution bar.

The way it is wired now your BMS-712's energy counter (Ah/kwh) is going to be out of sync with the battery capacity. When the sun is shining the solar will be feeding energy through the BMS providing a synthetic increase in battery capacity, however your BMS is going to be programed for 200Ah of the batteries. So you could actually end up consuming over 200Ah of energy and it will throw off all of the calculations.

Just be sure that the positive side of the solar isn't disconnected by any store/use switch, as you want the solar to be able to maintain your batteries when stored.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
On the the other thread you asked about the converter, I probably have one of the very first PD4655LV that BestConverter sold. The install was really easy, you can find more info on that in my other posts. Just be sure to have a wire nut and a piece of solid copper jumper wire for hooking the AC power backup.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ml#post2026277
Old 11-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Kent , Washington
Wow. Thanks Silver. This just got huge lol. On the plus side, I don’t have any solar installed yet. The solar mentioned was simply to explain all the connections in my battery box. There’s a Airstream installed Zamp plug that I’m currently not using. I’ll take some time to read your recommendation a few times. It certainly changed my day lol.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Putting terminals on big wire is not as easy as it seems. Getting cables made up by somebody isn't terribly expensive. They should be able to do it with the right (as in costs hundreds of dollars) kind of tools. I'd go that way rather than trying to kludge something out of the old wires to the battery.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I was under the impression that you you had 2 batteries so that is why I suggested 2 awg. But sure if you want to never think about it again then by all means 4/0 is great. But I have a feeling that most people don't need all that. But if you want to start over and you plan on doing a huge solar system then perhaps the best place to start is determine what you want to do with the solar. Then from there determine the overall size (ie wattage). Then you spec out the layout and get all of the components to put together a system.

My personal system is 4 batteries and a 600 watt inverter which is just used to charge laptops etc. I have never run out of power since my use Is fans, lights, stereo, pump and general loads like controlling the fridge. With the 4 batteries it has never dropped below 90% and is charged the next day even in low light and rain. I have 300 watts on the roof, but the original 2 50 watt panels are old and not in the best shape. I consider this probably the least amount that anyone should do for boondocking weeks on end. But as soon as you start to increase your usage with big inverters and longer periods of use then you need to go bigger IMO.

I started with what I have more of by accident then by design. I had no intention of going into solar until I couldn't find a campsite with electric. I just put the minimum into it that I thought I would need to get by.

Your plan may be different so it is best to decide up front rather than redo it later.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I forgot to add that with my system I charge it solely from solar. It is never plugged into a land line for charging until snow covers the panels. Even on plug in sites and where the sites are mostly shade it will still charge via the panels.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:25 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Kent , Washington
Hello Gator. Yes, I have two Battleborn batteries. My long term goal will be a total of 4 with solar, but that will likely be next years budget. This year I wanted to improve as cost effectively as possible. I plan to grab a portable 200watt panel set by years end to sublime to until I go full bore. Right now it’s getting this BMV done right. I have no problem getting the right cabeling and gritting it Into the trailer, it’s just figuring out what to do to get it tied into Airstreams mess. I’d love to see some pics of you and Silvers setups for guidance. This also has me rethinking my battery placement. I wanted to stay simple and inexpensive (the new truck set my budget back) but it appears to do it right there’s no way around further investment. I live in western wa so the weather is relatively mild and when I do go into the cold hills the batteries onboard BM will control temp concerns so I figured leaving those two in the stock location until I stepped up to two more, would work fine. If now I have to design new cables, breakers and distribution methods, I might as well move them inside now. What’s ironic is that the Battleborns were drop in. But adding the Victron BMV has created all these additional issues. Who knew lol?