Old 11-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
The only real trick to the BMV is to get the shunt wiring correct. Once you tie all the negatives to one side of the shunt (ie not bypassing the shunt via a ground loop) and the other side of the shunt to the negative of the batteries. Like I said you should only have one negative from the battery bank if possible. That is the best place to start. If all of the batteries are going to be on the tongue then size the wire accordingly for the future. If you plan on relocating the other bank then just size it for the 2 batteries.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I know where you are coming from on saving money. My setup was done fairly inexpensive. The most expensive items where the batteries at $1200. With everything else I think it added to another $1200. I don't think you can do it for much less unless you get some used equipment. My charger is a PWM not MPPT. I made my own solar mounts to save money. But costs in Canada are much higher than the US.

I also only had 2 batteries last year and bought 2 more early this year.

As far as my setup I have the classic which has the built in battery boxes in the body of the trailer. One one either side of the front. And adding 2 more batteries meant that I had to put them into the arm rests of the couch. One on each side. That way I could keep the drawer under the couch. So now I have 4 separate feeds from 4 locations. So I had to add extra junction blocks to add it all together. Not the cleanest setup lol. But there is no other way without removing the couch and perhaps loosing the drawer or the ability to turn the couch into a bed.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote