Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Marinco Electrical Connection

Has anyone installed the marinco electrical inlet on their Airstream. If so, is there a junction box between the outlet and main circuit breaker where you tie in? I'd like to make a clean electrical connection. Should I stay with the 30 amp? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I don't think there should be a junction box, but I'm not familiar with the '78 Ambassador.

If you put in a 50a inlet you will need more room to mount the inlet, heavier wire to the main breaker, and the fittings are more expensive. But you can run everything at once.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elec Inlet 003.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	90530  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I don't think there should be a junction box, but I'm not familiar with the '78 Ambassador.

If you put in a 50a inlet you will need more room to mount the inlet, heavier wire to the main breaker, and the fittings are more expensive. But you can run everything at once.
I'm hooking up my Marinco today and finding out what a pain to run 30 amp wire from Marinco to breaker box, the pain is at the Marinco end, would you have any pictures of your hookup.

Toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I added a 4x4 extension box to provide enough space behind the receptacle to turn the wires and head them up through 3/4" plastic conduit. I believe I used #6 Stranded THHN, mine is a 50a though, you could use #10AWG for a 30a.

Here's a closeup of the box, and a wider view with the box at top center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elec Inlet 006.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	90541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elec Inlet 008.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	90542  

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
I added a 4x4 extension box to provide enough space behind the receptacle to turn the wires and head them up through 3/4" plastic conduit. I believe I used #6 Stranded THHN, mine is a 50a though, you could use #10AWG for a 30a.

Here's a closeup of the box, and a wider view with the box at top center.
Smart, very smart.............thanks
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Ashland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
Can someone tell me what type of wire I buy to run from a Marineco inlet to the breaker box... 30amp? AND, is it OK to run it from the street side rear to the curb side middle where I have my breaker box? Does distance matter for this?

LASTLY! what wire do I run from breaker box to 12v batteries?

Thanks in advance!
Quote:

albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert View Post
>> snip <<
LASTLY! what wire do I run from breaker box to 12v batteries?

Thanks in advance!
DO NOT run any wire from the breaker box to a 12v battery. It might explode.

120v goes from the breaker to the converter (actually to a receptacle near the converter where the converter is plugged in)
12v comes out of the converter and goes to the battery.
Get someone to help you!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Ashland , Oregon
Oops! sorry, I knew that but didnt type it correct. I do have someone coming to help, but wanted to learn on my own as well.

Do you know what gauge or type of wire I use for that connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
DO NOT run any wire from the breaker box to a 12v battery. It might explode.

120v goes from the breaker to the converter (actually to a receptacle near the converter where the converter is plugged in)
12v comes out of the converter and goes to the battery.
Get someone to help you!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Airstream, along with many other RV manufacturers use ROMEX for all basic wiring.

I NEVER USE ROMEX, as I wire to ABYC marine standards ( as RVs should) and use 6 AWG marine cable for 50 amp AC circuits, 10 AWG for 30 amp AC circuits and 12 AWG for most 12 VDC circuits.

Cables from the batteries to your fuse block depend on the circuit length and carrying capacity that you require.

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Small Hijack:

Lewster,

Could you please compile all your posts on this forum into one thread so we stand a better chance of finding all these hints when we're ready for this project.

Your handout from Vintage Trailer Academy is so scribbled full of side notes from us we'll be lucky to ever figure if out.

End hijack.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Airstream, along with many other RV manufacturers use ROMEX for all basic wiring.

I NEVER USE ROMEX, as I wire to ABYC marine standards ( as RVs should) and use 6 AWG marine cable for 50 amp AC circuits, 10 AWG for 30 amp AC circuits and 12 AWG for most 12 VDC circuits.
I've been using armored cable for 120v circuits, particularly where exposed to possible damage or when going through holes in aluminum.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
After working on many large RVs with 50 amp service and that nasty, semi-solid THHN 'stranded' 6AWG cable (it is usually comprised 7 large strands, vs. several hundred 30AWG strands found in marine grade cable) over the last 16 years, the flexibility and ease of bending and working quality marine cable far outweighs any cost savings for big-box wire purchases.

I run thru thousands of feet of cable a year and would never dream of using anything but fine, multi-strand marine cable or similar welding cable.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:42 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Ashland , Oregon
Where does one find this amazing wire?

Quote:
After working on many large RVs with 50 amp service and that nasty, semi-solid THHN 'stranded' 6AWG cable (it is usually comprised 7 large strands, vs. several hundred 30AWG strands found in marine grade cable) over the last 16 years, the flexibility and ease of bending and working quality marine cable far outweighs any cost savings for big-box wire purchases.

I run thru thousands of feet of cable a year and would never dream of using anything but fine, multi-strand marine cable or similar welding cable.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert View Post
Where does one find this amazing wire?
Google 'marine cable' and many sources will pop up. West Marine is one, Waytek Wire another, Lawrence Marine Products another Ancor Products yet another.....there are many.

Your difficulty might be in buying less than full roll quantities. I have seen many sites that do sell marine wire by the foot in a variety of sizes.

I'm sure you will find pages full of sources.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:

Lewster recommended the marine grade wire for my restore. It is so nice to work with!
You won't be sorry.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

baltimore , Maryland
Quote:

Cables from the batteries to your fuse block depend on the circuit length and carrying capacity that you require.

Lew Farber
Hey Lew,

I plan on using Prestolite cables to rewire my 63. Have you ever used them? They are what the military use in their vehicles.

http://search.store.yahoo.net/yhst-5...500.1504408284
mane3215 is offline   Reply With Quote