Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fergus , Ontario
Unhappy Maiden voyage Fizzle!

Our 25' 1998 Safari maiden voyage to north country just fizzled. We are 6 hours away from home and headed for Crown land to do bush camping and discovered a non-operating fridge and no lights. Battery may be dead. I have read through many threads about electrical problems which may help us troubleshoot this problem tomorrow before going into the bush for two weeks. Luck has it that it is now Friday evening and all rv services are closed. Wish us luck. I'll let you know what we find. Thanks to everyone for posting so much info on the forum!
curioscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Durango , Colorado
Is your battery storage switch on? Just behind the setee. Also, my '99 has a switch on
the wall by the front door that seems to serve as a general duty shutoff for the front of the house.
awryawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Still waiting to hear what your problem was. Have you figured it out?

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fergus , Ontario
Fizzled battery?

We haven't really solved the problem yet but followed the suggestions. Thank you!We are going to replace the battery and look at a solar panel for charging. We are just heading home from two weeks in the bush and luckily my sister was there with her trailer and large, quiet generator. They had a solar panel which kept their battery topped up. The fridge started once we arrived but we don't know why. They also collected lots of rain water the first few days so we had lots of water and hot showers - what a luxury!

Ps the trip presented two more challenges:
Magnet clips on upper storage cupboards aren't holding
Outer main door hinge is breaking and the door dropped about 1/2 inch making it difficult to close. I'll be searching the wonderful forum as soon as I get home.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Bothell , Washington
Ah, now I'm seeing the value of making the first trip close to home. Same kind of thing happened to us on our first RV trip (non-AS, class-a motorhome). Blew the power junction which prevented us from using either the 30-amp plugin or the onboard generator. Luckily the batteries in our case kept the kids' electronics recharged

We were about three hours from home, of course, but with enough propane on hand to let us continue "camping". Glad you're having a good time in spite of the drawbacks.
My Search for a 1970 Airstream Safari
BlackBirdCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Fergus , Ontario
An update on our battery situation: The trailer battery checked as "good". It was the electrical plug that was faulty coming from our truck. It is fixed now.
We have also fixed any of the cupboard clips and the door hinge. I will start a new thread on that as we took photos for the benefit of the forum.