Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #21
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Here are a couple of shots of the left side of my closet in the '15 Classic. First one is the Progressive 50 AMP power manager (I put a 110V outlet above it so I can plug in the charger of the battery of the Dyson vacuum). Next to the Progressive is the sub-panel for the Magnum. Not in the picture -- I framed the panel in wood stained and finished to match the cherry in the rest of the trailer. You'll notice I do have "expansion" room in my sub-panel should I decide to shift some circuits from the main panel. Final shot is the control panel. Top left is the IPN controller for the 600W of solar, underneath is the Bogart Trimetric, top right are two banks of 12V switches...operate subwoofer, cell amplifier, WiFi Ranger, refrigerator muffin fans, and a 12V charger circuit. Magnum remote control is on the bottom right. I have some redundancy with these meters, but I REALLY like having the Bogart as I got used to it in my old trailer. I also have an inop switch for a Xantrex 2000 W inverter. I have the inverter as a spare, but it's not wired up -- the Magnum dwarfs what the Xantrex can do. The only 110V switch (so far), puts power into the ice maker. This gives me the option to NOT use it....and the 110V does go through the inverter so I can make ice when I'm boon docking. Whew! Lotsa stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2282.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	233663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2287.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	233664  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2280.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	233665  
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #22
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
BAB - can't wait to take the "technical tour" at Alumalina. Your new rig prep is impressive!
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:21 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Here are a couple of shots of the left side of my closet in the '15 Classic. First one is the Progressive 50 AMP power manager (I put a 110V outlet above it so I can plug in the charger of the battery of the Dyson vacuum). Next to the Progressive is the sub-panel for the Magnum. Not in the picture -- I framed the panel in wood stained and finished to match the cherry in the rest of the trailer. You'll notice I do have "expansion" room in my sub-panel should I decide to shift some circuits from the main panel. Final shot is the control panel. Top left is the IPN controller for the 600W of solar, underneath is the Bogart Trimetric, top right are two banks of 12V switches...operate subwoofer, cell amplifier, WiFi Ranger, refrigerator muffin fans, and a 12V charger circuit. Magnum remote control is on the bottom right. I have some redundancy with these meters, but I REALLY like having the Bogart as I got used to it in my old trailer. I also have an inop switch for a Xantrex 2000 W inverter. I have the inverter as a spare, but it's not wired up -- the Magnum dwarfs what the Xantrex can do. The only 110V switch (so far), puts power into the ice maker. This gives me the option to NOT use it....and the 110V does go through the inverter so I can make ice when I'm boon docking. Whew! Lotsa stuff.
This is a great setup in your Classic. Is there anything you would now do different ? I have a 16' classic so I'm wondering if a year later you would change anything?
Clozzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:56 AM   #24
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Set-up has been wonderful. Good example: a couple of weeks ago we were at a rally in a park that had an electrical issue (West Memphis, AR). The power went off a couple of times. The first time we were doing some touring. The day was hot and we had left the two dogs in the trailer. When the power in the park went off, the Magnum automatically converted the 12V from my 4 batteries to 120V so the A/C continued working. (I can run the front A/C for about two hours off the batteries.) When we returned to the trailer, I started the Honda EU3000iHandi to generate 120V until the power was restored. I'd also say that the newer Classics need plentiful 12V. Awning, stabilizers, bed, table all use 12V in addition to the usual stuff. To a large degree, Airstream has turned the trailer into a trailer park queen with all the power requirements. By doing all these electrical upgrades, my trailer is totally independent....which I greatly enjoy. I've kept track of what I've invested to customize it the way I want it, and I'm right at $17K. The electrical upgrades (including the generator) are by far the most expensive part. Perhaps the most visibly enjoyable, though, is the dishwasher!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 06-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Quote:
Set-up has been wonderful. Good example: a couple of weeks ago we were at a rally in a park that had an electrical issue (West Memphis, AR). The power went off a couple of times. The first time we were doing some touring. The day was hot and we had left the two dogs in the trailer. When the power in the park went off, the Magnum automatically converted the 12V from my 4 batteries to 120V so the A/C continued working. (I can run the front A/C for about two hours off the batteries.) When we returned to the trailer, I started the Honda EU3000iHandi to generate 120V until the power was restored. I'd also say that the newer Classics need plentiful 12V. Awning, stabilizers, bed, table all use 12V in addition to the usual stuff. To a large degree, Airstream has turned the trailer into a trailer park queen with all the power requirements. By doing all these electrical upgrades, my trailer is totally independent....which I greatly enjoy. I've kept track of what I've invested to customize it the way I want it, and I'm right at $17K. The electrical upgrades (including the generator) are by far the most expensive part. Perhaps the most visibly enjoyable, though, is the dishwasher!
Do you have any detailed photos of the placement of the inverter charger? I'm thinking about doing this first and wanted to get a general idea of what's involved to get it done. How did you run the new wires and where do I make the new connections from?
Old 06-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #26
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
You can see the placement of the Magnum in post 12. The four batteries are also shown in that post. The space I used for the Magnum is next to the curbside wall under the rear dinette seat. There is a drawer under that seat, but adequate room behind the drawer for the Magnum. You'll see the piping for the outside shower on that wall. (After completing my install, I carefully sealed some heavy plastic between the shower piping and the Magnum (just in case). Water in the Magnum would NOT be a good thing. The AGM batteries fit under the forward dinette seat, though I did have to remove the drawer mechanism. Not a real problem to do this as I just used the front of the drawer as a false front. I ran the heavy battery cables to the Magnum through a chase I constructed on the floor next to the CS wall. I made this out of wood and stained it to match the interior, but you could use aluminum angle as well. If you decide to use Lithium Ion's you'll save a LOT of weight and room. Once my batteries are done (I'm told I should get around 1000 cycles with them), I will go to Lithium. The Magnum controller just needs some reprogramming to do this, and my Blue Sky solar controller will work as well. I have had zero problems with all these electrical mods. I took plenty of time doing the install, and of course, I had several useful suggestions from Lewster. The Magnum documentation is first rate...lots of pictures and very clear install instructions. The hardest part was running wire from the batteries to the inverter and putting in wire from the inverter to the sub-panel. Airstreams are not "user friendly" when you wire from one side of the trailer to the other.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 06-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Quote:
You can see the placement of the Magnum in post 12. The four batteries are also shown in that post. The space I used for the Magnum is next to the curbside wall under the rear dinette seat. There is a drawer under that seat, but adequate room behind the drawer for the Magnum. You'll see the piping for the outside shower on that wall. (After completing my install, I carefully sealed some heavy plastic between the shower piping and the Magnum (just in case). Water in the Magnum would NOT be a good thing. The AGM batteries fit under the forward dinette seat, though I did have to remove the drawer mechanism. Not a real problem to do this as I just used the front of the drawer as a false front. I ran the heavy battery cables to the Magnum through a chase I constructed on the floor next to the CS wall. I made this out of wood and stained it to match the interior, but you could use aluminum angle as well. If you decide to use Lithium Ion's you'll save a LOT of weight and room. Once my batteries are done (I'm told I should get around 1000 cycles with them), I will go to Lithium. The Magnum controller just needs some reprogramming to do this, and my Blue Sky solar controller will work as well. I have had zero problems with all these electrical mods. I took plenty of time doing the install, and of course, I had several useful suggestions from Lewster. The Magnum documentation is first rate...lots of pictures and very clear install instructions. The hardest part was running wire from the batteries to the inverter and putting in wire from the inverter to the sub-panel. Airstreams are not "user friendly" when you wire from one side of the trailer to the other.
Thank you. Also, how did you manage to run the wires under the chassis to the sub panel?
Old 06-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #28
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
I bought 3/4" plastic conduit and ran it from the CS to the SS on top of the belly pan. I did have to drill out a few rivets to get access where I ran the conduit into the trailer. I ran the electrical cable through the conduit. Since it was sheathed outdoor cable I have PLENTY of protection and insulation from the elements and potential road hazards.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
Old 06-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Quote:
I bought 3/4" plastic conduit and ran it from the CS to the SS on top of the belly pan. I did have to drill out a few rivets to get access where I ran the conduit into the trailer. I ran the electrical cable through the conduit. Since it was sheathed outdoor cable I have PLENTY of protection and insulation from the elements and potential road hazards.
Thank You. I was told it was taboo to run insulated wire in conduit due to the fact it could overheat and start fire. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:23 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clozzzer View Post
Thank You. I was told it was taboo to run insulated wire in conduit due to the fact it could overheat and start fire. Maybe I'm wrong.
That depends on the type of wire used, the length of the run and the voltage/amperage it will be carrying. ABYC has very specific tables that address that question. There are no problems necessarily associated with using conduit, you just have to use the proper cable for the job and the specifications of the situation.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote