Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Magnum Energy inverter - chargers

Who is familiar with the MM-1212 inverter-charger from Magnum Energy? It combines a 70 amp, multi-stage, temperature compensated battery charger with a medium size inverter (1200w). I have been told that it is a more reliable alternative to the Xantrex products.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I am, but you probably know that already. I'm also a Magmun Energy factory authorized service center and install 15-20 new Magnum inverter/chargers every year, so ask away...............
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Lew, I'm really interested in the MM1212. I'm looking for a 3 stage converter to replace my Parallax 7355, with a charger that also has an integrated inverter (300 watts is just enough for my off-grid a/c needs, but having 1200 isn't a problem). The MM1212's 70amp 4 stage charging output is perfect for my new battery bank.

The problem I have is that I want to keep the 7300 series chassis, breakers, cover and only replace the lower box containing the 7355 converter. So I have about 14" x 11.75" x 7" to work with. The MM1212 a little to long at 16.6” x 8.4” x 4.7”. I also like the idea that's it's made right here in The U.S.A.

Any suggestions for something similar to the MM1212 that fits my space, or a suggestion on a replacement for the whole 7300 Series chassis? My fridge sits on top of this space, so enlarging the space is unlikely, but I haven't pulled the whole chassis out.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
OK, took a long look at the panel with a sandwich at lunch. I unmounted the 7300 chassis to see what's back there and I have a square acre to work with, so space isn't an issue. Don't see how I'm going to be able to setup a main panel, and a subpanel powered by the inverter using the 7300 chassis. Also if you completely remove the 7300 lower converter box you can't put the front grill back on since it has the 4 mounting holes.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Can you modify the chassis and remove just the guts and leave the mounting section, or how about fabricating a new bracket for the face to mount to. You can also use the ME-RC remote control panel for the ME-1212 that is a joy to work with.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Thanks Lew. I modified the 7300 chassis on my '07, I know it well. I'm trying not over looking the obvious and just go with a dedicated inverter outlet. But I like the fancy marine solutions where you can control what's on inverter or not. Still contemplating my options. Too busy traveling to tear into the electrics right now, but we'll have a break soon.