Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2021, 08:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, if you have the inclination to upgrade, then a call to BestConverters is probably in order.

Personally, I am not interested in Lithiums but, when the time comes, I will definitely upgrade my converter and put in a pair of 6V Golf Cart batteries....
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:59 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking1 View Post
Turns out that swapping the two stock Interstate batteries for two Relion 100amp Lithiums was a perfect fit with a little room on the sides.
Now onto connecting the Victron battery monitor.
This is great. Thanks for starting this thread. Do you mind sharing the final pictures of the batteries with the connections done. Also, could you share how did you handle the battery's top post terminal to M8 Bolt terminals on ReLions, did you get any adapters or had to re-crimp, if so which crimping tool did you use?
We have a 25FB and I am looking to do a straightforward drop-in battery kinda install. I am comfortable with electrical wiring and everything else, but just don't want to get into a complex install at the moment. Looking for a drop-in install, bluetooth monitoring, portable solar supplemented w/ generator.
2012 Mercedes GL450
AShar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:02 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OR23 View Post
Advice requested. We own a 2016 23D International. I have been using batteries successfully in tractors, cars, motorcycles, etc. for 50 years. I am not in the habit of abusing, overcharging or neglecting batteries. Our Airstream was purchased new - and has received no modifications. I have gone through 3 sets of Interstate batteries. The Airstream Owners Manual (Section 8, Page 13) says you can leave trailer plugged into shore power and the factory system would keep batteries charged when in "USE" position.
"The charging circuit automatically controls the current, reducing it as the batteries increase in charge."
Our experience is that the factory system overcharges and cooks the batteries. Dealer blames me - saying I allow the water level to get low. We use the trailer from about May to October - and it's stored inside a heated building in winter months.
I am ready to upgrade the electrical system this spring with lithium batteries and a charging system that won't overcharge and ruin batteries. Not planning on solar at this time. Recommendations appreciated.
The stock converter on our 2017 Classic was a single stage and was told it would kill AGM batteries. Needed a 3 stage converter to not cook batteries. Got it.
Now I’m upgrading to lithium’s and now need a single stage lithium converter. Go figure.
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
existing charger might work

...check the manual to see if it has a selectable single-voltage mode. Our Boondocker power center was selectable, and the single-voltage mode also has adjustable voltage.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:26 AM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SoulShine View Post
The stock converter on our 2017 Classic was a single stage and was told it would kill AGM batteries. Needed a 3 stage converter to not cook batteries. Got it.
Now I’m upgrading to lithium’s and now need a single stage lithium converter. Go figure.
Hi

If anything, lithiums are far *more* bothered by a single stage converter / charger than anything the 2017 stock converter in a Classic ever did to lead acid's ....

With a fixed voltage setup, the lithiums are always in "balance" mode. That puts the highest strain on the BMS and the highest strain on the cells. You really do want a setup that drops back after the charge is done.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:36 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob
Hi

If anything, lithiums are far *more* bothered by a single stage converter / charger than anything the 2017 stock converter in a Classic ever did to lead acid's ....

With a fixed voltage setup, the lithiums are always in "balance" mode. That puts the highest strain on the BMS and the highest strain on the cells. You really do want a setup that drops back after the charge is done.

Bob

While it isn’t ideal, it isn’t as bad as you are making it out to be. Yes, the BMS is having to dissipate some excess energy as heat…but how many watts are we talking? The BMS can also “disconnect”. We are talking about 0.05V excess per cell with a flat 14.6VDC, but most flatten out at less than 14.6. These are typically CC/CV, and your BMV will show you that there is hardly any excess amperage…so the BMS is likely doing its job and the sky isn’t falling.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:57 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
While it isn’t ideal, it isn’t as bad as you are making it out to be. Yes, the BMS is having to dissipate some excess energy as heat…but how many watts are we talking? The BMS can also “disconnect”. We are talking about 0.05V excess per cell with a flat 14.6VDC, but most flatten out at less than 14.6. These are typically CC/CV, and your BMV will show you that there is hardly any excess amperage…so the BMS is likely doing its job and the sky isn’t falling.
Hi

But .... they sky wasn't falling with the stock 2017 converter running lead acids either. Neither one would destroy batteries immediately.

The constant high voltage on the cells is at least as much an issue as the BMS.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:10 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AShar View Post
This is great. Thanks for starting this thread. Do you mind sharing the final pictures of the batteries with the connections done. Also, could you share how did you handle the battery's top post terminal to M8 Bolt terminals on ReLions, did you get any adapters or had to re-crimp, if so which crimping tool did you use?
We have a 25FB and I am looking to do a straightforward drop-in battery kinda install. I am comfortable with electrical wiring and everything else, but just don't want to get into a complex install at the moment. Looking for a drop-in install, bluetooth monitoring, portable solar supplemented w/ generator.
Sorry now saw this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8D26FA10-FC39-4354-B10C-34257A962768.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	398570  
Old 07-26-2021, 12:41 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Bob
Ended up going with the PD9160 two stage converter. Seems like a good match for my new battle borns. Thanks for your advice Bob!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	444FAB43-9FC9-496B-9743-40B83C93046E.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	400404  
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote