Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2023, 12:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedantons View Post
Well darn, I was hoping it would fit. I may have to look around to see if there is a place to mount. Will the PD units that others have been talking about fit in the WFCO panel or is that another find a new home situation? If that is the case I may stick with a WFCO. I know they have a Lithium model that has a manual switch, but I have not seen many people talk about that.
Talk to the folks at Best Converter. They will have a replacement that fits in place of your current converter.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 08:04 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
The WFCO and Progressive Dynamics converters are the same size and have the same connections (DC connects to posts, AC is just a plug). It’s basically plug and play. If you decide to swap out the converter, Be sure to disconnect the negative lead from the batteries and unplug solar panels before you do anything.
Merlintiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 09:40 AM   #23
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
I think any converter will be very slow at charging a Li if located 20 feet or so away and wired with wire in the #8 range as many are. With that distance and wire size the low resistance of the discharged Li tries to pull so much current that voltage drops.

I did a test yesterday with my WFCO located 20 feet away wired with #8 and the battery depleted to 67% SOC. Early in the charge current was right around 5 amps and voltage was 13.5. Current dropped very slowly over the next 6 hours to around 4 amps and voltage only went up .02 volts to 13.52, at this time SOC was 91%

3 hours later current finally dropped off to 1.4 amps and voltage rose to 13.71 with SOC at 98%. I went to bed and in the morning (10 hours later) current had dropped to near zero and voltage rose to 13.71, the SOC was still at 98%.

(At the start of the test I did an experiment by using a 30' scrap of #6 I had and temporarily added it between my converter and my battery, when I did this the current approximately doubled instantly)

The WFCO stayed in LA mode the entire time. I considered upsizing the wire but I am re-thinking that for several reasons.

1. I already have 2 other ways to bring the Li to 100% SOC easily and quickly while on shore power or while driving.
2. It is not necessary to bring the Li to 14.2V (or whatever voltage the BMS is set for to balance, some brands balance at a lower voltage) every time, as long as it is done periodically to balance the cells.
3. The LI will last longer if you don't constantly keep it topped off.
4. Conventional wisdom (along with manufacturer's instructions) seems to recommend storing the Li at 50%-80% charged. My particular manufacturer recommends 50%.

So in my case, I don't really need the converter to bring my Li to 100%. I suspect some of you may find the same with your setups. It's not easy to ignore all we've known about lead acid all our lives but Li is a whole new story and we don't need or even want to keep them full all the time. IMHO

I ran across this thread in my research and highly recommend reading it to gain a better understanding, it sure helped me. Post #2 is especially informative but if you're geeky like me you will want to study the whole thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/84295/
Old 11-25-2023, 07:05 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Gallatin , Tennessee
I just need to research and decide what I am going to do. I know space is a premium in a 16x Basecamp. The “easy” thing would be another WFCO or Progressive Dynamics. I am kinda leaning towards some sort of Victron setup. I have been happy with my other products, but they can be a little on the larger side. It would either need to be in the area with the WFCO devices are or near the batteries.

Again more research and probably another thread to bounce my ideas around to utilize the knowledge base on here.

Scott
thedantons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 06:53 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2023 16' Basecamp
Creighton , Nebraska
If it doesn't have a shunt monitor such as the Victron Smartshunt you should install one so you can really see what is going at the battery level. I will help you to know if your system is really working now and later to know your charge level. State of charge cannot be determined with battery voltage.
pfm41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 08:14 AM   #26

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , CA
Quote:
I have a 202 basecamp 16x with lithium batteries. I have noticed the batteries do not get charged all the way. I wanted to see if I can get some insight on the autodetect of the WF-8955-ad-MBA. how low do I need to drain the batteries for the detection to work? Since I do not have a 30a outlet at the house, will a 15a wall outlet work for the autodetect feature?

I know there have been several issues with the autodetect feature of these devices, and I may have issues since I am not seeing a firmware sticker on the unit.

Other than the blue light and a full battery, what do I need to look out for? Any insight will be appreciated and helpful.

Scott
Adding solar with a controller is a easy solve to that problem. I have 600Ah Lithium Iron batteries with 2 -100W slim solar panels. I use the solar controller to charge batteries to 14 volts. Batteries can charge to 14.6 volts but the inverter won't work with them charged that high. Played with the voltage until I found the sweet spot. So the solar is trickle charger for the batteries. My flying cloud is set up for dry camping for 4 to 5 days. I have 2 - 100ah batteries in the battery compartment and 2 - 200 Ah in the front storage compartment. If you don't dry camp then one solar panel w/ controller is a easy fix, about $300 in parts.
docyouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 07:22 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Gallatin , Tennessee
I currently have factory solar on top of the Basecamp. (I think it is 180 watt) I have a Victron MPPT 75/15 solar controller. I also have a BMV 712 battery monitor. I have two 135 amp hour Dakota lithium batteries.

Since I already had a bluetti solar panel and battery generator, I wanted to be able to use that panel on the front port on the trailer. After doing research, I found the panel needed to have a controller. I purchased a second MPPT 75/15 to use with the portable panel since it does not have a controller.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:26 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Gallatin , Tennessee
Side note, I have been reading about lithium batteries in cold weather and you should not charge them below freezing. What is the best practice for winterizing in regards to the batteries?
Old 11-27-2023, 08:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Side note, I have been reading about lithium batteries in cold weather and you should not charge them below freezing. What is the best practice for winterizing in regards to the batteries?
A full battery disconnect. Most of the factory use/store switches or whatever Airstream is calling them still leave parasitic draws on the batteries. If you have heated batteries make sure the heaters are also disconnected.

NOTE; Some battery manufacturers recommend storing their batteries with a certain state of charge, could be 100%,80%,60% or something else.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:34 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Gallatin , Tennessee
What is the proper way to handle solar? If I am understanding correctly leaving them unplugged with nowhere for the produced energy to go can damage them. Is that accurate?

Do I just cover them? Or is disconnecting them from the system sufficient?
Old 11-28-2023, 11:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
What is the proper way to handle solar? If I am understanding correctly leaving them unplugged with nowhere for the produced energy to go can damage them. Is that accurate?

Do I just cover them? Or is disconnecting them from the system sufficient?
If you are talking about the panels wired to your solar controller, you don't have to do anything. It's not like they are storing up electrons, become constipated, and explode (ha, ha). If there is some sort of a load they will produce a current accordingly, but with the batteries disconnected this might be only the CO detector. Adding a solar panel cutoff switch at the controller is a good idea, but not necessary. There is a discussion on this topic here.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 08:15 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Gallatin , Tennessee
Ok, so another question related to this topic. I checked with my battery manufacturer and I need to charge to 100% before storage. If I remove the batteries and the solar is still connected do I need to cover the battery leads ? I know my should simple, but this is all new to me.

Thanks again