Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2022, 03:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Las Vegas , Nevada
Lithium batterie won’t charge from shore power?

Hi fellow airstreamers,

My brand new pottery barn edition came with solar panels and lithium batteries. However, recently I noticed the batteries have been slowly discharged despite I plug into shore power all the time. So, I have a couple of questions.

1) why my batteries are being used even when I plugged in shore power. My inverter is not on.

2) how come the shore power won’t charge the battery. I’d expect the batteries are 100% all the time because I’m plugged in all the time.

Thank you very much!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4091.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	413048
davydliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:16 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by davydliu View Post
Hi fellow airstreamers,

My brand new pottery barn edition came with solar panels and lithium batteries. However, recently I noticed the batteries have been slowly discharged despite I plug into shore power all the time. So, I have a couple of questions.

1) why my batteries are being used even when I plugged in shore power. My inverter is not on.

2) how come the shore power won’t charge the battery. I’d expect the batteries are 100% all the time because I’m plugged in all the time.

Thank you very much!

Attachment 413048

Ok, someone DM’ed me for potential solutions. For me, reset 15 amp Converter (flip all the way down and up) did the trick. Now my battery is charging by the shore power.

Looks like my solar panels have been charging my batteries for the past month. It just recently, the sun got a lot weaker.

Hopefully, this will help someone else in the future.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by davydliu View Post
Ok, someone DM’ed me for potential solutions. For me, reset 15 amp Converter (flip all the way down and up) did the trick. Now my battery is charging by the shore power.

Looks like my solar panels have been charging my batteries for the past month. It just recently, the sun got a lot weaker.

Hopefully, this will help someone else in the future.
I noticed the same thing with my rig, using AGM batteries.
I suspect, at least in my case, the converter *thinks* the battery voltage is higher than it is because of the voltage drop on the 10-15’ cable between converter and battery. This would cause the converter to stop charging prematurely, then leaving the solar to take up the slack.
I plan to do a lithium conversion and will then move the new converter to the front of the trailer, closer to the batteries
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:56 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
GRAND ISLAND , NY
The converter has a maximum charge time of 4
hours, which may not be long enough to fully
charge the batteries. To continue charging,
disconnect the shoreline power supply and
reconnect. This will allow the converter to continue
charging for another 4 hours.
That is straight from the pottery barn manual. Hope that helps. Continue to read the manual, you will find great info in there about your rig.
Anze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:14 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anze View Post
The converter has a maximum charge time of 4
hours, which may not be long enough to fully
charge the batteries. To continue charging,
disconnect the shoreline power supply and
reconnect. This will allow the converter to continue
charging for another 4 hours.
That is straight from the pottery barn manual. Hope that helps. Continue to read the manual, you will find great info in there about your rig.
Bravo, my service technician can't figure out why. I just checked the manual, it's exactly what you have said. Btw, can I ask you for climate control, my czone when set to "Auto" mode, it will only automatically start AC but not heatpump. I checked the manual and didn't find any reference to that. I also asked it in this thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ng-232315.html Many thanks!
Old 04-04-2022, 11:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I have read on the forum that it’s not advisable for the long term health of Lithium’s to keep them on shore power constantly.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' Pottery Barn
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
I have read on the forum that it’s not advisable for the long term health of Lithium’s to keep them on shore power constantly.
Correct, like the electric cars. You don't want charge the battery to 100% every all the time.