Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Brownsville , Vermont
Lead acid to lithium

I have a 2020 Globetrotter with two lead acid batteries installed. I have purchased two Battle Bold 100 ah lithium batteries to replace the lead acid. Is there anything I need to do regarding the existing electrical when I drop them in? Would an aftermarket battery monitor make sense to be able to see the level of charge?
Rklene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Newport Beach , California
Make sure your converter can handle lithium. You will have to let your converter know it is now handling lithium by changing the setting.
reginac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Victron energy has the best products for lion, solar etc.

even AS HQ is now using their products on new AS trailers being delivered
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:52 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Brownsville , Vermont
Thank you. I will look into the right converter for the job.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
You need all lithium compatible components. Inverter/Charger, DC to DC charger between your engine battery/alternator, Battery Monitor, and solar controller.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Brownsville , Vermont
Thank you. No one has told me that. I appreciate the advice.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:41 PM   #7
Mitch

2020 30' Classic
Granite Bay , California
Did you get the Battle Borns with the Heated Kit? LifePO4 do not like low temperatures (i.e. heated kit for many of the outside installations/applications).

2020 Classic 30RQB
2013 2500HD Dmax: 6in lift; GEN-Y Traveler (torsion flex) hitch; Load Range F (3-Ply sides); 1-ton leafs; Hellwig sway bar; Firestone Ride-Rt RED; Bilstein 5160s
Registered Professional Engineer, CA
jmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rklene View Post
Thank you. No one has told me that. I appreciate the advice.

They will tell you they are drop-in replacements and will even suggest charge settings for certain lead-acid chargers they claim will work. Technically they will, but when pressed, they recommend lithium specific charging components and profiles.

The bottom-line is, if you want your expensive batteries to last their longest and work their best, they need lithium-specific charging. Plus, the DC to DC charger (between your engine battery/alternator and Battleborns) will save your alternator from possible destruction. This is due to the fact that your lithiums may pull much higher charging rates than your alternator was designed to provide.

I don't mention this to discourage you. I was in your shoes 2 years ago and my head hurt due to a steep learning curve. But with help on this and another forum, I was able to do the install myself with no sparks or flames.

PS. - I live in deep South Texas, travel in mild weather, and installed the Renogy batteries inside my class b. So, until this week, I never had to worry about low temperatures. In Vermont, you'll want some way to keep the batteries above zero and ideally about 32 degrees if you want to charge or use them.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
All good and very important advice above.

Like Vermont, Colorado has a long and cold winters. To protect our lithium from deep cold we simply remove it from the trailer and store it in the house off season. They have very low self discharge rates and should not require any charging maintenance.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
All good and very important advice above.

Like Vermont, Colorado has a long and cold winters. To protect our lithium from deep cold we simply remove it from the trailer and store it in the house off season. They have very low self discharge rates and should not require any charging maintenance.

I purchased 1/0 cables with Anderson connectors. Not to remove the batteries for cold weather, but because the Renogy battery bolts are crap. But it would make for an easy, tool-less disconnect. Purchased them from these guys

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anderson-SB...72.m2749.l2649

Good prices, wide variety, custom by-the-foot lengths, and high quality.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:00 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
I just ordered all the parts. Here is the full manual that Airstream shared with dealerships. Basically the heated GC2 battery is only available to dealerships (which is a joke) and it is the only one that fits into the newer battery boxes. However the one you buy directly from BB just requires you to shave the handles off the batteries (BB technician told me that) and they will fit right into the box. I bought two in a bundle for $2,098 including tax and shipping. Around $1k cheaper than buying them through Airstream.

You then need a new converter ($163 on CampID) and I bought the Victron 712 monitor (Amazon Prime) to replace the one that’s below the TV right now.

See all Information attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream Lithium upgrade_.pdf (3.06 MB, 105 views)
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
SO I have a question.....

My AS has no solar. I'm not yet at the point of going lithium, but I can see doing so in a few years. But, I'd like to start w/ a suitcase solar setup for now, add rooftop solar later, then go lithium.

What I don't want to do is buy a suitcase setup that isn't compatible w/ the end result once I do have rooftop solar and lithium. If my AS was a year newer, I know there'd be a Zamp box on the roof and a port beside the battery box for a portable, but as mine currently is, I don't have that port (mine is prewired for solar, but predating the Zamp box, I'm not sure what the rooftop connections will look like).

And, if need be, I'd be okay w/ buying a new converter first, as long as it could still handle my current batteries for now (ie, have the controller bought and in-place before I get to the lithium install down the road....).

Thoughts on what suitcase solar might be a better choice for being useful upfront but still usable down the road?
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post

My AS has no solar. I'm not yet at the point of going lithium, but I can see doing so in a few years. But, I'd like to start w/ a suitcase solar setup for now, add rooftop solar later, then go lithium.

What I don't want to do is buy a suitcase setup that isn't compatible w/ the end result once I do have rooftop solar and lithium. If my AS was a year newer, I know there'd be a Zamp box on the roof and a port beside the battery box for a portable, but as mine currently is, I don't have that port (mine is prewired for solar, but predating the Zamp box, I'm not sure what the rooftop connections will look like).

And, if need be, I'd be okay w/ buying a new converter first, as long as it could still handle my current batteries for now (ie, have the controller bought and in-place before I get to the lithium install down the road....).

Thoughts on what suitcase solar might be a better choice for being useful upfront but still usable down the road?
Many suitcase units aren’t optimized for Lithium. I happen to know this new one from Renogy is. Just look carefully at the specs to confirm before you buy.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #14
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rklene View Post
I have a 2020 Globetrotter with two lead acid batteries installed. I have purchased two Battle Bold 100 ah lithium batteries to replace the lead acid. Is there anything I need to do regarding the existing electrical when I drop them in? Would an aftermarket battery monitor make sense to be able to see the level of charge?
I recently watched this video (https://www.airstream.com/ask-an-air...power-systems/) and found it to be educational. You may as well.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNBright View Post

Lithium lasts longer and charges quicker than lead-acid. You may find solar to be of little value unless you have much more than a suitcase unit. I'd suggest you wait to see if you need solar at all, or go with a massive 400W+ array on your roof.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Lithium lasts longer and charges quicker than lead-acid. You may find solar to be of little value unless you have much more than a suitcase unit. I'd suggest you wait to see if you need solar at all, or go with a massive 400W+ array on your roof.
I think mine, given size (a 20FC), might be capped at closer to 300w. I'm not picturing us running the AC, I just want to keep the batteries topped off over a couple of days as we run the lights, etc.
WBCCI #1051
Old 02-19-2021, 01:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
Many suitcase units aren’t optimized for Lithium. I happen to know this new one from Renogy is. Just look carefully at the specs to confirm before you buy.
That link just took me to a controller.... but poking through their site, there are several different suitcase setups...
WBCCI #1051
Old 02-19-2021, 03:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
portable solar (Zamp) off Amazon

I got a 140w portable system (Zamp), complete with controller and about 15' of cable that can connect directly to the battery terminals. In my case it is a supplement to the 3 fixed mount rooftop panels I have, the portable allows me the highest probability to get something in direct sunlight, and optimize the absorption by manipulating the panel angle. I got mine off Amazon, that makes it a very simple process. It works with all popular battery types (wet cell, AGM, Lithium).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a great way to start the investagion of the value proposition for you, the panels are just a little bulky and heavy but they fold up against each other, and come in a protective case to encapsulate them, I store them in my 1 larger vertical closet when not in use. Mine cost me a little over $600, it looks like the Renogy system mentioned in the prior post is more cost effective for the size. You could get 2 of the Renogy, and have more watts, at less cost than I paid ...
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
This is our schematic for solar and lion

we can also monitor it from web or phone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS22FB- power  Schematic DC-V13b.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	389021  
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
it looks like the Renogy system mentioned in the prior post is more cost effective for the size. You could get 2 of the Renogy, and have more watts, at less cost than I paid ...
I’ll confess, looking at what comes up on Amazon, there’s some there by Dokio (from China) that is close to the ‘try it and if it doesn’t work out, no great loss’ point....
WBCCI #1051