Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Keep the Trojan T105 or new AGMs?

We're taking delivery of a 2017 Flying Cloud 25FB in July and trading in our 2016 19' that has Trojan T-105s. The Trojans are about a year old. Our new rig will have the 160 watt solar on the roof and AGM batteries. We already have a 200 watt Zamp portable solar and we plan to be doing a LOT of boondocking on a long term basis, so I plan on using the portable whenever possible in addition to the roof panels.

I may be jumping the gun because I have no sure idea what the amp-hours of the AGMs are, but I want input as to whether to keep the T-105s (which Colonial Airstream says have a "little more" amp-hours) or go with the new AGMs they're supplying with this new 2017? Or does it really matter either way?

Thanks!

*I moved this post from the wrong sub-forum (Solar and Generators) to this one.
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
AGM battery info

So, Colonial Airstream just got back with me and said the AGMs that are coming with our rig will be Lifeline GPL-24T. At 20 hour rate these are 80 amp hours and supposedly the T-105s I currently have are 225 amp hours. I realize the two AGMs will be combined for 160 amp hours with about 80 usable versus a little over 100 usable for the T-105s.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but I'm leaning toward the AGMs just because I've heard they charge faster.

Any ideas or does it really matter at this point?

Thanks.
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wareaglewalt View Post
So, Colonial Airstream just got back with me and said the AGMs that are coming with our rig will be Lifeline GPL-24T. At 20 hour rate these are 80 amp hours and supposedly the T-105s I currently have are 225 amp hours. I realize the two AGMs will be combined for 160 amp hours with about 80 usable versus a little over 100 usable for the T-105s.

Maybe I'm overthinking this but I'm leaning toward the AGMs just because I've heard they charge faster.

Any ideas or does it really matter at this point?

Thanks.
There are many reasons to use AGM batteries

• faster re-charge
• no out gassing to corrode the surrounding area
• NO MAINTENANCE
• more re-charge cycles for longer battery life
• 5 year pro-rated warranty (Lifeline)
• less internal resistance for longer shelf life with no load present

Given that the only reason to continue to use liquid cells is a price-only basis, AGMs should be your battery of choice!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote