Originally Posted by jpeterman
I have my 72 Overlander still in the driveway doing upfittings. I'm sure that the inverta is working, but what type of checks should I do to the unit?
You are confusing a 'converter' which is a device that takes 120VAC house current and converts it into 12VDC direct current to run your appliance control boards, lights, water pump and charge your battery. You should
have one of these.
An 'inverter'...which you probably don't have, draws 12VDC directly from your battery and creates 120VAC from it to run small appliances like a small microwave, coffee maker or toaster.
If you have the original 'Univolt' style of converter in your trailer, I would suggest spending a little time at BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics
and replace it with a modern electronic unit that has 3-stage charging. Give Randy a call and he will answer all of your questions.
Your Univolt, while OK for it's time, will give your batteries fits and probably boil them dry if not watched like a hawk. The new units can be left on 24/7 and vary the charge voltage automatically....something that makes your batteries very, very happy.