Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Inverter not working

25' 2006 FB Twin. I had some electrical work done this winter (new IOTA converter), and now my inverter is not working. The red light glows (factory install), but no power from the outlets.

I don't know where the inverter is located, but I suspect behind the converter. Does anyone know? Any thoughts on what might be wrong?

Thanks.
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I have an L couch in the front and my inverter is under the left front bunk, where the battery cables come into the trailer. They need the 12v fused line right from the battery.

The PO blew out the internal fuses in mine and as long as they were out, no red light on the panel. Once I replaced the fuses the light came on and the outlets were hot again. I'm not sure why you have the red light but no voltage at the outlets. Are you plugged into the inverter outlets? Not all of the outlets are linked to the inverter, just a few and are labeled.

Look for the inverter close by the wall where the battery cables come in. There are 2 heavy cables for the 12v input, then a flat house style wire coming out, about 14 gauge. On mine, the wires feed into a plug that then continues on to the outlets (I assume, may go elsewhere first). I'd check the voltage at the 110 vac connection just outside the inverter. Also coming off the inverter is the small wire, looks like phone wire, that goes to the control panel with the red light.

You might have to open the inverter and replace 2 automotive style mini fuses; mine were 35 amp. I had to order mine online because I found 30 and 40 at the store but not 35. I'm using 30 right now and they work OK for my needs.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
thanks for the advice. I think it's probably in the front of the trailer under the bunk, from what you describe. I'll take the bunk apart and begin the troubleshooting you describe. Thanks again.
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by btowntincan View Post
thanks for the advice. I think it's probably in the front of the trailer under the bunk, from what you describe. I'll take the bunk apart and begin the troubleshooting you describe. Thanks again.
For mine, I can just lift up a cushion and there are a couple of access holes that allowed me to reach it through the top of the bunker, even remove it.

Caution: There is a very expensive, in-line fuse for that inverter. Make sure you don't touch ground. It's a tiny little spark that will cost you upwards of $50; lesson learned.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I second richw46's caution. I pulled out my 700W inverter and installed an 1800W. I inadvertently shorted the circuit and, yup, a $37 fuse had to be replaced. And, of course, it was in a location that meant pulling out the L seat. My inverter has a reset button, but if it isn't working then the remote light won't be on. Not sure about your unit...
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote