Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Hudson , Wisconsin
Inverter noise ?

I have a 2017 27FB FC with stock inverter and on our last trip the inverter was so much loader then before this trip. Loaded or unloaded made no difference.
Output power was fine,, just wondering if anyone has had this experience ? Am also looking for options if I do need to replace. We have the twin beds and inverter is located under the head of my wife's bed.
Thanks for all responses.
JJMacfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
What do you mean by Louder? Is it a fan noise? If so, this is usual when it gets hot. When the converter is loaded it will heat up and the fan kicks in to cool things down. When it is really hot, the fan will come on, load or no load. This just happened to me. It was 109 outside and the fan was on, even without anything running the coach.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Hudson , Wisconsin
No it not heat related, the inverter was just very loud, enough so that my wife moved to the coach for the week. The fan ran continuously.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMacfly View Post
No it not heat related, the inverter was just very loud, enough so that my wife moved to the coach for the week. The fan ran continuously.

Ok but “louder” does not describe the noise. Does it sound like something is rubbing?

I had to have my converter replaced because it bounced around a lot (was never secured) and the fan came loose. It sounded like a buzz when the fan came on. Wasn’t a trip killer, I just shut off the converter at the breakers.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:23 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Hudson , Wisconsin
So this is the inverter underneath the bed in our camper. It is not a rubbing noise, it is just that the inverter has really become louder. Whether it is the fan and it's bearings have dried out or if something internal has changed?? I have not removed the inverter as its a big job through a small hole. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.
We didn't use the camper last year , covid , but in 2019 we went to Alaska and on the road for 2 months with no problems.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:43 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
So this is the inverter underneath the bed in our camper. It is not a rubbing noise, it is just that the inverter has really become louder. Whether it is the fan and it's bearings have dried out or if something internal has changed?? I have not removed the inverter as its a big job through a small hole. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.
We didn't use the camper last year , covid , but in 2019 we went to Alaska and on the road for 2 months with no problems.
Hi

The inverter has a fan on it.

The inverter has electronics inside it.

The inverter has wires leading out of it.

Each one ( and some other things ) can create noise. Depending on just what is creating the noise, the fix / issue is different.

If the fan has a wire stuck in it, move the wire. This does happen.

If the fan blade breaks, replace it. This also happens. Replace the fan and it goes away..

If the magnetics in the electronics come unglued. That can create "noise". The fit here is very different.

If the noise is fro the wiring, that needs to be traced down. It may be a simple fix or .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:52 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Electronics can make buzzing sounds, though an increase in any noise probably means there's a problem. The problem may not be obvious, but may get worse over time. A cheap electronic item will probably deteriorate faster and Airstream has been known to install cheap parts.

Check all the items Uncle Bob mentioned and if you have a multi tester for electrical work, the instructions with the inverter should give you some idea what to test. The first thing to test is if you're getting 120 v. output.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Hudson , Wisconsin
So Ok I checked all of the things Uncle Bob suggested and there are no issues, other then an excessively loud fan. I am getting 120VAC output.
So my next question is , if the inverter fan has just degraded, bearings ??,, what is an option to replace?
Do I replace with a model fromWFCO , which looks like a plug and play option, or are there other manufactures but then they may require rewiring ?
Thanks for the help
Old 07-04-2021, 09:49 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
So Ok I checked all of the things Uncle Bob suggested and there are no issues, other then an excessively loud fan. I am getting 120VAC output.
So my next question is , if the inverter fan has just degraded, bearings ??,, what is an option to replace?
Do I replace with a model fromWFCO , which looks like a plug and play option, or are there other manufactures but then they may require rewiring ?
Thanks for the help
Hi

The fan can be replaced if that's the problem. There are a lot of other outfits that make inverters. There is nothing magic about the WFCO unit other than low price.

Bob
Old 07-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
I just relocated ours from the rat's nest under the curb-side twin bed to the front side of the storage unit under the same bed. I found only one screw holding the inverter to the interior skin of the rat's nest compartment. I disconnected the inverter from the interior skin through the little portal you mention, but later removed the divider between the rat's nest and the front storage locker to help with access to wires, etc.

In the process, I tested the connections pre and post move, and find the sound when on as no louder - and somewhat less - than the fan that comes on at the charger in the power center from time to time. But most importantly - there is no sound when the inverter is turned off. Do you need to run the inverter at night?

If so, certainly continue the quest for a way to remediate the existing inverter, or consider moving it to the front storage compartment directly under the night stand, or both. It is really easy to relocate if near enough to the existing mount that you don't have to re-wire. Ours had plenty of wire attached to make the move. Or maybe switch the pillow to the other end of the bed?
Old 07-09-2021, 07:37 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Hudson , Wisconsin
So yes I need it during the night for a CPAP machine. However in exploring some CPAP related posts on the forum I have found , hopefully, a DC alternative. If that works I won't need to run the inverter.
I was thinking of relocating the inverter if I needed to so thanks for the info.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
So yes I need it during the night for a CPAP machine. However in exploring some CPAP related posts on the forum I have found , hopefully, a DC alternative. If that works I won't need to run the inverter.

I was thinking of relocating the inverter if I needed to so thanks for the info.

Many CPAPs have a battery solution (I use a Dreamstation GO) and if they don’t they can be run off a battery-based AC power unit (think GoalZero) or as you say, DC. The inverter is the least efficient way to run one tiny appliance for an evening.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
This may be a left field moment. In several electronic devices I have for the house I have found that the cooling fans collect dust and dirt. It eventually will reach a point where the accumulated dirt overloads the fan's bearing and it makes noise, more noise as time goes on. I have had success with just cleaning the fan blades and everything is okay, but sometimes I've had to replace the fan. For my Tivo DVR I bought a box of about 8 replacements off Amazon and I'm on #3 now, about 1 every 9 months. So check the fan for dust and try cleaning before replacing
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:44 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you dig into them, most CPAP machines run on 24V DC. You have an AC adapter that plugs into the 120V wall socket. It generates 24V. That 24V runs the machine ( and heater and whatever else ...).

You can get very efficient little 12 to 24 V DC/DC converters at a range of power levels. They are dead quiet, pretty small, and not terribly expensive. If you look at the "travel adapters" they sell for some machines, all they are is a 12 to 24V DC/DC.

Wiring things up does take a bit of time, but it's not that crazy a DIY sort of project.

The bit "why do it?" is power savings. The inverter likely pulls as much / more idling than the CPAP does. A good DC/DC will be up around 90% efficient.

Bob\