Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Laguna Beach , CA
Inverter Installation questions

We have a 2020 Bambi 20FB. We have outfitted it for boondocking, and that is pretty much the only type of camping we do. We have taken 8 trips in the last 6 months and are loving it.

Here are the electrical upgrades we have already installed:

1. 4x100ah BattleBorn LiPo battery bank (400ah total)
2. 360watts of Zamp solar on rooftop, connected to Victron 50a Solar Controller
3. 200watts of portable HQST solar panels connected to Victron 30a Controller
4. Victron 712 Battery Monitor with Bluetooth

This system works great and we have plenty of off grid DC power. We have never had to use the Honda 2100w generator we have. Our solar usually tops off our Lithium batteries within just a few hours is sun is shining.

We have no need for off grid AC power except for our 900w microwave. We would like to add a Pure Sine inverter to our power system to power ONLY the microwave for short interval use on occasion. We do not need to connect all the shore power AC outlets to this inverter. Those AC outlets will stay connected to Shore Power only.

I have been looking at inverters such as this one:

https://www.renogy.com/2000w-12v-pur...wave-inverter/

Here is what I am thinking of doing:

1. Install the inverter specified above (or equal)
2. Include installation of the included wired “On/Off” switch for the inverter. Switch to be located in the galley. (We only want to turn the inverter on to use the Microwave, then turn it off after micro use)
3. Connection of our existing 120v 900w Microwave to the inverter

SEE ATTACHED DIAGRAM FOR LAYOUT

The Renogy 200w Pure Sine Inverter includes a wired on/off remote switch and the 4AWG cables to connect to the battery bank.

I am pretty handy and am hopeful I can do this install myself. What advice would you inverter veterans give me for this install? Is there anything I am missing? Important points? What about required ventilation for the inverter?

We already upgraded the converter/charger during the lithium upgrade. Given our boondocking goals, is there any benefit to installing a inverter/charger rather than adding an inverter only to my existing setup?

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Inverter Location Diagram.pdf (87.0 KB, 109 views)
Calisurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
You may sell the trailer at some point and the new owner might prefer the other outlets connected to the inverter so it may be a selling point. Wiring would be just as easy by combining the microwave feed with the outlet feeds and connecting that to the inverter output. then wiring the outlet or microwave breaker to the pass through input, and retiring the unused breaker.

Ventilation won't be a problem if it has 10 inches of free space around it and two ventilation holes (one low, one high) at least half the size as the vent fan. You can go lower if we sharpen the pencil.

I don't see an advantage to a converter/inverter.....
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Laguna Beach , CA
Thanks Brian for your feedback. You bring up some valid points. Much appreciated.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Wire in an automatic transfer switch with inverter and shore power as inputs and the microwave circuit as the output. Get the best of both worlds.

Xantrex 8080915 PROwatt SW Auto Transfer Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S5Y158...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I used this on my dual battery (dual inverter) setup.

All plugs are hot on shore power, only select circuits when using inverter.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:44 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Laguna Beach , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Wire in an automatic transfer switch with inverter and shore power as inputs and the microwave circuit as the output. Get the best of both worlds.

Xantrex 8080915 PROwatt SW Auto Transfer Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S5Y158...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I used this on my dual battery (dual inverter) setup.

All plugs are hot on shore power, only select circuits when using inverter.
Thanks Snowy for the tip. What size of automatic transfer switch would I need to do what you are saying? Would this model handle the 2000w Renogy Pure Sine Wave Inverter just fine if the only output is the Microwave?
Old 01-25-2021, 03:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Many inverters have an automatic transfer / pass through feature built in. You may want to compare the relative costs and ease of installation for an all in one inverter.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
Xantrex XC2000 with built in transfer switch charger

I have the same Victron equipment you have and run a Xantrex XC2000 Inverter Charger. I assume your trailer is a 30 amp? (i have 50amp) If so you can run your power in direct to the the inverter and power the whole trailer from you 400ah battery bank just not maybe the AC. The other plus is the inverter charger is designed to charge your Lithium, that way you can do away with the factory converter which is probably not compatible with lithiums. Battleborn has a support page with settings for that specific inverter. They recommend running 2/0 cables from the batteries. Xantrex makes a remote panel that has bluetooth that lets you monitor the inverter or you can simply use the panel. I use victron bluetooth to monitor and adjust settings to my components.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0899.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	387557  
Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2021 RAM 2500 Hemi 6.4
KD3OBX 146.520
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
new charger converter

Calisurfer....Sorry I missed the last paragraph that stated you updated to a lithium charger/converter. By going to the xantrex you have one component rather than the 3 separate units (inverter, new charger and adding the transfer switch) Plus it should be a simple install as you would install the inverter inline between your shore power inlet wiring and then to your existing 120v panel. You definitely have enough battery and solar to run everything maybe even the AC for a limited time.
Rick & Becky #28279
2018 FC27FBQ
2021 RAM 2500 Hemi 6.4
KD3OBX 146.520
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:04 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisurfer View Post
Thanks Snowy for the tip. What size of automatic transfer switch would I need to do what you are saying? Would this model handle the 2000w Renogy Pure Sine Wave Inverter just fine if the only output is the Microwave?

Depends how many sockets you plan to power. Remember that most household wall circuits are on a 20amp fuse. Your inverter at max draw is only up in 15-18amp range on the 120v side. A 15 amp transfer switch would be good for one main draw like your microwave. A 20 amp will be fine (imo) for a couple of sockets and matched with the capacity of the 120v wiring.

As a note an easy way to estimate amp draw is power divider by volts. In a perfect conversion power will be identical on both sides of the inverter. Hence 2000 watts / 120 bolts = 16.6amps. Assuming the inverter has no power loss 2000 watts / 12volt = 166 amp draw on the batteries.

Of course the inverter is not perfect, it has a loss and batteries start out at 12.5 or so volts so the above just estimates amp draw.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:13 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
My 20FB is arriving in September. I plan to upgrade the electrical. Would you happen to haven take pictures of how you accessed under the bed? .
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:48 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderwielen View Post
My 20FB is arriving in September. I plan to upgrade the electrical. Would you happen to haven take pictures of how you accessed under the bed? .

Not specifically but it’s usually simple.

Remove mattress and you will see screws around the edge and once in a while, in the middle. Remove those and the bed top comes off. Very easy.