Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
albany , Georgia
Inverter installation help

OK, we have a 25 footer 2011 that does not have an inverter. How hard or easy is it to put an inverter into this thing.
I have considered just getting a Honda 2000 generator but if adding an inverter is fairly easy, I would probably go that way. What kind of cost is there involved with this addition.

Thank you for any help chaps,
James.
jmpgino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I am sure you will get a Pro reply but let me give you my perspective as a capable amateur. The factory install puts the control panel on the galley wall and fishing a wire up there would be very, very difficult. You could install a modern expensive inverter charger with little drain when not in use and switch at the unit, when needed. The question is where to locate and how to hook up. Mine is fwd under the bed in the 25FB. It is not trivial to get in there, fish big battery wires up through the bottom of the trailer, and then wire the output to the outlets.. In short, I would not take on this project myself.I would buy a small inverter that plugs in to a DC socket if I had just one appliance I wanted to run or I would pay for a Pro installation.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
An inverter install is not difficult. You just have to decide it you want one over a generator. Both have advantages but inverters are silent and don't need fuel.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
What do you want to power with an inverter?

If just the LED TV you can use one that plugs into a 12v plug. The LED TVs only put out about 45w. I have a 120watt Samlex Sine wave for my TV for dry camping. I can also use it in the tow vehicle.
120W 12VDC to 120VAC Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter | PST-120-12

Anything more then what Larry said above is good advice.

I like the idea of and inverter/charger then all your 120v outlets can be tied in without running separate wires which is what AS does during the build but units like Magnums will run you $1000 and more. Then you have to think about the batteries and if they have the capacity to do what you want and how to charge them so you can use them the next day. This may mean additional batteries, solar, and/or generator.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote