Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 03:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
The Woodlands , Texas
Inverter

I'm getting a No Comm fault on my inverter and I need to reset it, but I can't find it. Can anyone tell me where the inverter is located on a 2016 Interstate?
Johnsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have no knowledge of Interstates whatsoever, but I can tell you the inverters are normally installed close to the battery for voltage drop considerations.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:57 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsrt View Post
I'm getting a No Comm fault on my inverter and I need to reset it, but I can't find it. Can anyone tell me where the inverter is located on a 2016 Interstate?
If you haven't seen it, check the No Comm thread in the motor home Sprinter Class B section of Airforums. I don't know how to copy a URL but it is 28 threads from the top of the first page. My 2011's Tripp-Lite inverter is located under the rear lounge but you have a Magnum so it may be in a different spot. There is an electrical expert on the forum (Lewster) that will have some helpful suggestions. He visits daily.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You Rang???

The Magnum MMS-1012 on a 2016 Interstate should be located under the rear jump seat on the driver side. If you are getting a 'no comm' fault, chances are that your batteries are below the communication threshold for the Magnum to talk to the remote display, which IIRC is around 9.5VDC.

Check your battery voltage and if you find that it's below 12VDC, you should connect an external battery charger to them to bring them back above that level, or at least to 11.5VDC.

After that, plug in to shore power or start your generator so that the inverter will continue the charging process and bring them back up to full, or 12.8-13.2 VDC

Chances are that if you are seeing the no comm fault, there is also insufficient voltage remaining in the batteries to start the generator.

Another way to do it is to go for a long drive. Your engine alternator should engage your BIM (battery isolation manager) and join both battery banks together to provide the house batteries a replenishing charge as well.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:54 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
Thanks for the help...I checked the battery voltage and it was 12.5. I'll try the generator tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsrt View Post
Thanks for the help...I checked the battery voltage and it was 12.5. I'll try the generator tomorrow.
At 12.5VDC (if that truly is the house battery voltage reading) there should be no problem with the No Comm faulty. Try a soft reset on the Magnum.

There is a small grey push button located just above the input ports for the temp sensor and comm cable. Push and hold until the green LED flickers. See if that worked. If not, you might try a hard re-set, which involves removing all AC and DC power from the inverter and also removing the temp sensor and comm cable to the remote. Wait 15 minutes and then re-connect and see if that resolved the issue.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
I found the inverter under the rear jumpseat and tried the soft reset, but the green light never flickered with the button depressed. The inverter was too hard to get to in order to try the hard reset. So, I'm taking it back to the dealership to look at it now. They never do anything under 3 weeks though...arg!
Old 10-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Does anyone know how to reset the inverter on a 2014.5? I'm getting a fault even though I am plugged into shore power. I can get things to work if I run my engine for a few minutes but when I turn it off... everything is dead, despite being plugged in.

I read that it is located in the jump seat but What is a jump seat? Is that one of the captains chairs or the near the sofa in the back?

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
Does anyone know how to reset the inverter on a 2014.5? I'm getting a fault even though I am plugged into shore power. I can get things to work if I run my engine for a few minutes but when I turn it off... everything is dead, despite being plugged in.

I read that it is located in the jump seat but What is a jump seat? Is that one of the captains chairs or the near the sofa in the back?

Jackie,

Your Magnum inverter is located below the small seat on the driver side of your Interstate just forward of the rear lounge. It hinges up at the front for access to the inverter.

There is a small grey button just above where your phone-type cable enters the unit, along with a green LED.

You should press and hold the grey button until the LED begins to flicker. This is a 'soft' reset.

If that does not clear the fault, you need to try a 'hard' reset, which involved removing both AC and DC power from the unit, along with all data cables entering at the front.

It should stay in this de-energized state for 15 minutes, then all cables and power should be restored.

If that will not clear the fault, you will need to seek help either from Magnum or an authorized service center.

Also check your battery voltage, as very low voltage can also produce a fault code.

Lew Farber
Old 10-09-2016, 07:37 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
Inverter

I had the same issue on my 2015 Interstate. The resets I tried didn't work, so I took it back to the dealer and they ended up replacing the inverter under warranty.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Funny thing, it’s happening again .... but my microwave is the ONLY THING that has power

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote