Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Interstate Batteries: AGM or Standard Experiences

Costco is selling Interstate batteries. I did not see the Marine AGM sealed batteries, but they seem to cover about all automobile sizes.

I purchased two Interstate Batteries recently for our 2014 25 foot International recently. I had 'issues' with a pair of Interstate batteries and the company was fair and I begin with a new beginning.

We have a Panasonic sealed battery in our 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser since new and still doing well. Ten years.

Our 2006 Safari with a small solar panel had two Interstate AGM batteries and they were excellent when we sold it in 2014. Eight years.

Our 2014 International... Interstate batteries were not doing well after our purchase. It was NOT INTERSTATE's batteries, but the dealership let them go dead and would roll out this jumper cable dolly and 'connect to the trailer's batteries' like you would to jump start a vehicle when the battery is DEAD to demonstrate the trailer under 12 volt power.

I do believe with the large number of trailers, RV's and other campers with batteries sitting for a long time on a dealer's lot... many batteries are already dead on arrival... that is AFTER Arrival you are sold a trailer with dead batteries.

I am keeping tabs on these two Interstate Batteries that I purchased from Costco. They had a brown sticker with the date that the batteries were charged to sell, which was several months after the manufacturer's date stamp in the battery cases.

If this Thread has no interest, I will not go through the trouble to get the Case Dates, when they were charged before going to the shelves at Costco, and my purchase and installing them.

At the same time I am running a 100watt Solar Panel when Boondocking to maintain the batteries, in addition to the tow vehicle and last resort... a Honda generator.

All of this going on to maintain my new Interstates.

What is your experience with Interstate or any other brand (other than Lithiums, which would be outside my experience).

Is there an interest? What is your experience? Any tricks to keeping our batteries going on, and on and on...

I toss it out to you. If you do not care... then I do not, as well and will keep my own notes and recording how my new batteries are working out.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
Alot of folks blame it on the batteries --- but, I'd blame the short battery life on the single stage Parallax OEM converter (except in 2018 models or newer) which fries batteries no matter what brand battery you're using.... "done that, been there -- until I upgraded my converter".
glcmranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Just to be clear - the single stage converters bit the dust 20 years ago. Everything has been multistage for a *long* while. Take a look at the spec sheets and read up on what the devices do.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
OK. I'll put it another way ___ The Paralax series converters WILL FRY batteries --- I don't care if they're single, double, triple, quadruple, stage converters! I HAVE read the specs and that company exaggerates..... I even heard them speak out of the sides of their mouths at a Alumaploosa forum -- and they would agree there are limitations. Based on many, many, readings here on the forums from the past 4 years,,,, alot of folks would agree with me. I'm speaking from experience...... Ask a battery expert or Best Converter --- they will agree!!!
glcmranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I am an electrically challenged individual. I could test can and paper capacitors in Wurlitzer 1940's jukeboxes... but had to visually see a resistor burned, to find it and replace. Never had someone teach me any fundamentals.

Uncle Bob and flcmranger are beyond my ability to follow their discussion... so I would ask a favor of both of you to describe what our Airstream from Jackson Center. have in their 12 volt electrical system. How in the spectrum of 'converters', where does it compare to other converters, than can easily be installed... by a E.C.I., Electrically Challenged Individual.

Uncle_Bob has covered this on another Thread recently. This is important as to maintaining an Interstate or other brand AGM or a standard acid 'car' battery in our trailers.

Once everyone understands the principles and purpose, we can all be on track to follow the conversations.

Considering, ourselves, we rarely are connected to electrical power... how does a converter help someone with one or more Solar Panels? Otherwise is the converter of any value to someone like myself in your previous discussion?

In my simple understanding... the converter is ONLY for 120volt converting it to 12 volt at 13.7volts for internal use of the trailer? Other than the 120 volt outlets.

My 100watt solar panel is connected directly to the batteries with a controller that will disconnect solar once the batteries are near full charge. How does a converter help someone that is a Solar Power Pauper at an Off the Grid Campsite? This 'controller' cannot weigh more than four ounces with a yellow, charging and a green, fully charged LEDs.

Do factory installed Solar Panels that run through the Airstream's wiring... does the controller have any purpose, other than disconnecting the Solar Panel(s) from charging the batteries directly, or is it done through the controller, indirectly?

Thank you for participating. I would thank you and Interstate would also appreciate saving a few of their batteries from bad information.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
OK. I'll put it another way ___ The Paralax series converters WILL FRY batteries --- I don't care if they're single, double, triple, quadruple, stage converters! I HAVE read the specs and that company exaggerates..... I even heard them speak out of the sides of their mouths at a Alumaploosa forum -- and they would agree there are limitations. Based on many, many, readings here on the forums from the past 4 years,,,, alot of folks would agree with me. I'm speaking from experience...... Ask a battery expert or Best Converter --- they will agree!!!
Hi

What you actually have is a whole bunch of people talking in an echo chamber. They agree with each other because all they hear are the echos. This is a very common issue on internet forums. If you have read the spec sheets and watched what the converters do with a meter, then you know they are "multi stage" and not single stage devices.

For fun, go back in the posts a few years ( say to 2012) and look at what some of your experts were saying. Ultimately they simply gave up rather than fight the echo effect.

I'm certainly *not* claiming that the stock converters are the best thing ever invented. All I'm pointing out is that 99% of the time, they get blamed for something the most certainly did not do. Their biggest fault is that they are to conservative in how they charge so the battery is *less* likely to be damaged. It also is less likely to be at 100% capacity.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
My interstate experience.

Picked up our brand new AS June 2015, a 27 FC FB. Over the moon about finally getting a AS. Took it from the dealer, directly to a RV park, with full hookups, to test for the night. Everything went well and we put her into storage (use/store switch in store mode) for about two weeks until we went camping again. First night out this trip was dry camping, and when the sun went down we had no lights and the batteries were dead. Swell. Next day moved to full hookups and everything seemed ok. Had the batteries checked at Airstream dealer and they said they were fine. Did not figure out until much later that the group 24 batteries in the AS would run down to alarming low levels in under ten days in storage. I kept having battery probs, and the AS dealer kept saying the batteries were fine. I found this site and started reading about batteries and chargers, and replaced my parallax with a progressive designs converter charger. Exactly 13 months after I bought the trailer, and the batteries have a 12 month warranty, they died for good. The dealer said, essentially, "bummer dude". So I bought Trojan wetcells, which cost more than interstates, but have a three year warranty.

It may not be interstates fault. I have no idea, how long my AS sat on the lot, batteries discharging, and being damaged by not keeping a proper charge on them. But there are clearly better batteries than wetcells with a measly one year warranty. I expect the Trojans to last at least four years, (I take very good care of them now that I know) and the next set will either be 6 volt AGMs or lithiums if the price comes down. I'm pretty sure they won't be made by interstate. YMMV

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:32 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
"Alot of folks blame it on the batteries --- but, I'd blame the short battery life on the single stage Parallax OEM converter..."

True, those converters aren't great, regardless of how many stages they have or claim to have. But I'm inclined to agree with Ray on this one: "with the large number of trailers, RV's and other campers with batteries sitting for a long time on a dealer's lot... many batteries are already dead on arrival." This makes sense to me, because at the dealerships I've visited, the vast majority of trailers on the lot were not plugged in, so the converter was not a factor. My trailer wasn't plugged in, and its Interstate batteries died soon after delivery.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Yes, I would be interested.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
Ask a battery expert or Best Converter --- they will agree!!!

Best Converter? The website that sells aftermarket converters? Shocking they would recommend you replace your OEM with one of theirs.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:22 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Best Converter? The website that sells aftermarket converters? Shocking they would recommend you replace your OEM with one of theirs.
How many times have you spoken to Randy?
FWIW... He also sells the suspect P-lax. Shocking. 🤪

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Just to be clear - the single stage converters bit the dust 20 years ago. Everything has been multistage for a *long* while. Take a look at the spec sheets and read up on what the devices do.

Bob
From Parallax site;
The Parallax units today are descendants of the original 3 current stage converter/charger dating back to the early 70’s, though they may not have used the “marketing” term that is used today by other manufactures, the companies that the Parallax technology evolved from were among the very first adopters of the technology for RV use. Since their inception, solid state converters manufactured by MagneTek and Parallax have used Bulk, Absorption and Float current modes or “stages” to charge RV batteries at a rate designed to maintain and promote battery life and safety.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
How many times have you spoken to Randy?
FWIW... He also sells the suspect P-lax. Shocking. ��

Bob
����

Just kidding! I thought I bought a pretty sweet trailer until I started reading these forums. Now I know better! Once I replace my OEM vinyl flooring, outdoor shower, water pump, fridge, furnace, A/C unit, wheel bearings, and LED lights with better aftermarket stuff, I'll do the converter.

Again, just kidding, these forums are great and I've learned a ton here and put it to use already. As far as the Paralex converters, is it a case of how all of them work of a case of they work ok as long as you don't get a lemon? The batteries in my trailer are a couple years old and charge 100% using the OEM converter.

Sorry for the thread derail. Looking forward to the battery life info Ray!
Old 06-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #14
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Yes, I would be interested.
I'm also interested in any battery info wrt COSTCO supply.

I miss the Sparky's who would take care of all the electrical side of underway equipment. They knew about battery care and feeding. Of course, our batteries were only 1.5v, although we had 167 of them.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Date Code of Manufacture

I had always been a trusting person. That changed when I loaned a friend in Junior High School $5. Never saw him, nor the $5 again. I was 12 years old. The Trusting Person era changed... permanently.

At Costco, the Interstate batteries are nicely organized and in rows. Clean. Fresh appearing. My eye was captured by these round stickers with a Month/Year. Mine had a brown sticker 3/18. March 2018. This was NOT the date of manufacture, but the month they were 'charged to capacity'. Oops. Learned another lesson.

The 'Code' is stamped on a spot where I could find it on the shelf. K7AFU - K is the 11th letter of the alphabet, thus November. The 7 is 2017. This battery had been made in November 2017 and charged, if that is the term, March 2018. I purchased these two batteries March 15, 2018 at $72.99 each, before taxes and with a core battery.

When installed into my Airstream... the voltage readout above the sink was 12.6 volts.

Just now I went out to find the 'manufacturer's build code'... without luck. It must be on the SIDE of the battery. So... if you are buying a new Airstream, the date the battery is made cannot be easily discovered. Oops.... another 'faux pas' on my part. French for about anything you have done that could be regretted at a later minute or a lifetime.

No Code to be found... your warranty begins at the date of purchase, so at least that is a good place to begin.

Now you have learned from my mistakes. I would prefer it have been YOUR mistake and letting others know, but this is an exercise for all us. You know... I can still recall the name and the dollar amount loaned over 55 years ago. Never loaned anyone one cent since then.

My Interstate Batteries are Made in Mexico. As long as they perform, I do not care where they are made. From the exterior, they look great. I am more concerned how they look on the inside. The two AGM Interstate batteries looked shop worn when I purchased those from an Interstate Distributor in Tucson, Arizona. Oops.... there was no date of manufacture on either.

What did you learn? The small round sticker tells you nothing about WHEN the battery was made, but when it was recharged.

Look for the A to L code for month and the number for year. The later the date, the fresher the battery. They are EMBOSSED into the hard plastic. Not the small sticker with months and years...

I trusted my Airstream Dealer on the batteries in my 2014. They must have checked it off that they were 'Present, but not checked'. Dead, is what I call it, but present.

I did notice one thing. My Dead Batteries seem to weigh the same as a New battery. The 'core battery' you receive $15 cash... is the same lead from another dead battery that cost... $72.99 each. Much more for the AGMs... more or less lead, I suppose and labor.

Somehow... someone is making money and dressing it into another shiny clean plastic case. Two photos of Dead AGM. One photo of New Costco standard car battery..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5300.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	314003   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5303.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	314004  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5295.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	314005  
Old 06-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Sheboygan , Wisconsin
I installed 2 new Interstate batteries in my 2014 Bambi. I keep the trailer plugged into 110V while at home with the refrigerator turned off. I do leave the water pump in the on position but it's not in use. After 1 day of dry camping my minutes was showing a low battery. I was under the opinion I could dry camp 5 or 6 days before needing to charge the batteries. I've been turning on the engine of my truck for 10-15 minutes and plugging the trailer cord into the truck which seems to work but I'm wondering if a solar panel would be a better solution. Would appreciate your feedback
Born2kayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Born2kayak... Probably the first thing you should do when your trailer is in storage is to turn the Water Pump off. If your lines are under pressure with water... that is also not a good idea. Always drain the water lines, fresh water tank and leave the water pump off.

There are currently, a number of excellent Solar Power Threads under Boondocking. Options from $150 to $5,000.

If you DO NOT use any battery power... is what the salesman forgot to mention, your batteries may get by for weeks or months.

We are practicing 'power paupers' when Boondocking. From experience of nearly using NOTHING consuming 12 volts... you are one toilet flush from dead batteries. This would not be in the Airstream Sales Brochure, since Airstream is not known to be an On or Off the Grid Boondocking Trailer. Surprise!!!

Although the advertising sure looks like Boondocking and not in a crowded RV Park with another campers' wood burning fire under your Zip Dee awning, during a light shower.

With experience, you will get better at figuring out where these two 12 volt batteries dispense electrons with no regard to time on the road. I know when the voltage is dropping when the Water Pump sounds like it is grinding insects and small mammals under the cabinet.

I read on the Forum, somewhere, so it must be true. If you want to have your Tow Vehicle charging your trailer batteries, have the headlights or AC on. The alternator steps up and puts more voltage into the system. This also applies, I assume, traveling down the road.

Before Solar Panels... there were... more confusion and dead batteries. My wife and family of five in a Mallard and a Nomad Trailer, over time, never had an issue with batteries. Maybe flash lights and one to four 12 volt bulbs could last a camping trip. No television. No water pump. No toilet. The list of NO is longer than the Airstream's list of YES, so lets stop at toilet.

Welcome to the Electrically Challenged, like myself.

My Calculus Professor taught Calculus as if I had taken three years of it in High School. Maybe if I had heard of Calculus, I would know more about Electricity.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
---------------------snip-------------------

My Calculus Professor taught Calculus as if I had taken three years of it in High School. Maybe if I had heard of Calculus, I would know more about Electricity.
Nope, sorry, took Calculus series three times before I got it right **--it has near nothing to do with electrical knowledge...and I'm one of those electrical engineering/computer science/management types by default.

Calculus is nice if you are launching rockets and going to the moon--I'll stick to stuff I can do on a pocket calculator, or, in a pinch when the batteries die, a slide rule ***.

** Daughter graduated with a degree in Neuroscience, and is heading to Medical School...she has had much more physics than I did, and math all the way through Differential Equations...she understands this stuff...even better than her PhD eldest brother. Sigh. Who's the brainiac of this outfit?

*** Yes, I still have my slide rule from college days in the 1960's. Yes, I still know how to use it. Yes, I've still got a copy of the book that came with it. Yes, I've still got the orange leather scabbard that it lived in, bouncing off my butt like all the other nerds at the time. Yes, I still carry a pocket protector. Nope, crew cut is long gone. Daughter has no clue about how logarithms work, even...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
rmkrum also understands you have to have a sense of humor discussing products made by a company, who builds trailers, and should have discovered, after the first year of production, how to build them to last longer... than the batteries will last.

My father in law explained to me the facts about owning boats on Lake Erie. I was led to believe that a Trailer was not a Boat.

I have, now, changed my mind. Where do I begin to toss, you know what, into this hollow aluminum cylinder?

My Electrical Knowledge is taking two wires. One in vinegar and the other in fresh water.

Or those of you who are more daring... testing a 9 volt battery using your... tongue.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Plainfield , Illinois
I agree the the OEM charger is not the correct charger for interstate OEM batteries. I did a little investigating and here is what I think is going on.
I talked to parallax and they stand by their converter/ charger but will not recommend a battery. The OEM converter will work best with maintenance free AGM batteries. However, the converter charges at a constant 14.4 volts and somehow limits the current flow as the battery is at full charge. This is the correct way to charge AGM batteries but will boil the lead acid batteries dry in 30 days. That is why air stream tells you to add water every 2 weeks. The batteries are constantly being over charged.
I converted to a boondocker converter/4 stage charger and have not added water since April.
Check out the lifeline AGM battery web site. They have some pretty good technical info that can explain in detail what is going on with the batteries.

If you stay with interstate lead acid batteries you need to change the OEM converter to a boondocker 4 stage charger. Check out best converter.com web site for info on boondocker. If you stay with OEM parallax converter you could possibly change to AGM batteries. In my opinion, it is cheaper to get the correct converter than pay a lot for AGM batteries.

Other issues to consider if changing batteries is that the AGM batteries are heavier than lead acid batteries by about 50 lbs. This will increase tongue weight which can be an issue with tow vehicle.
Jmhandel is offline   Reply With Quote