Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
1963 16' Bambi
1971 21' Globetrotter
Marbletown , New York
Interference in new Radio

My 8 track has never worked and I finally purchased a new JVC KD-S15, CD Receiver. The Radio is probably middle to low-end piece of equipment. I installed it this past weekend and, of course, everything did not go perfectly. I am powering the A/S with a Honda EU2000i Inverter Generator. When I hooked the radio up I used the original wiring for the Power, Ground, Antenna, and Speakers.

I turned the Radio on and the Display started flashing. In the mean time the temperature in the A/S stopped thematically as normal. When the furnace stopped, the display on the radio stopped flashing and I could barely hear 1 or 2 radio stations. I thought it might be the original antennas contacts being dirty/corroded, and cleaned them up – no difference. The next thing I did was to take 2 test leads and connected them from the radio leads directly to the Fuse Panel – no difference. Next I brought the 12-volt battery in from the garage and hooked it up directly to the radio. It worked beautifully!

Before I tried the battery I never checked to see if the CD or my I-pod worked. They performed well when the battery was powering it.

After it was running smoothly I found that 3 of the 4 speakers worked. When I touched the wires to the 4th one ( street side rear) I got a loud buzzing. I left it disconnected.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m getting some sort of interference from the Generator or Univolt. I don’t know if I’m right and if I am, how do I deal with it? I’m not an electrician so if you have an idea, please speak the language of the verbally challenged.
Stone Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote