Old 12-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
How tough are the AGM"s

And there you have solid evidence that the Parallax that Airstream used as OEM until about 2017 is a single stage fixed output POS convertor. No wonder that darn thing killed 2 sets of my batteries is a short time. I won’t give it another chance...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
And there you have solid evidence that the Parallax that Airstream used as OEM until about 2017 is a single stage fixed output POS convertor. No wonder that darn thing killed 2 sets of my batteries is a short time. I won’t give it another chance...
Hi

Excuse me .... if it current limits, *that* is the first stage. If it then voltage limits, *that* is the second stage. Two stages *is* not a single stage.

If you dig into the "voltage cutback" on any of these converters there always are a bunch of details associated. One is how long it takes to cut back (maybe 48 hours). The other is how low the current has to go before the timer engages (maybe < 0.5A). Unless you watch a charger for a *long* time (and have no DC load) it's going to be tough to "see" that voltage cutback.

It's the details that *do* matter. First you have to at least understand the basics. The details aren't going to make any sense unless you do.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
What model of Parallax do you have? All the ones I looked at on their website show that they are 3 stage and many of them offer temperature compensation as well.

Mine is the old 7455 which at best was a 2 stage, but only if you had the "T" option. Otherwise it was fixed at 13.8 volts. See link.
http://www.rialtainfo.com/winnebago/..._op_manual.pdf

In reality you not only need a proper charger, but it should have Temperature compensation as well. Otherwise you will ruin your batteries.

I only use this charger for a short term when snow covers my panels, otherwise it gets charged from my solar charger, which has 4 stages plus temperature compensation.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Update on my buddies new 2017' 23D issues; the new Interstate batteries were fine, according to Interstate. AS told him his "stock single stage converter" was bad and causing the problems; it was always on, but not charging his batteries. They replaced with a new 4 stage converter, the Progressive Dynamics PD4600 series. Only charged him for the unit. Said they recommend all their customers move to this type unit to be safe and not have to worry about leaving your rig plugged in all the time.

Progressive Dynamics:
The Charge Wizard constantly monitors battery voltage and battery usage then selects one of the following four operating modes to properly charge and maintain the battery.
BOOST Mode 14.4 Volts – Rapidly brings the RV battery up to 90% of full charge.
NORMAL Mode 13.6 Volts – Safely completes the charge.
STORAGE Mode 13.2 Volts – Maintains charge with minimal gassing or water loss.
EQUALIZATION Mode 14.4 Volts – Every 21 hours for a period of 15 minutes prevents battery stratification & sulfation – the leading cause of battery failure.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Plainfield , Illinois
battery giant

Hi all,

So I picked my trailer up from the dealer yesterday. It has been sitting outside in Chicago weather for 4 days with the cabin switch in the off position. The read-out on the solar indicated 13.6 volts, awesome. My AGM batteries are made by Battery Giant, they have a 3 year warranty. So they are very tough, they were discharged at least 3 times by a faulty converter. This was happing inadvertently but the dealer changed out the factory converter and recharged the batteries. The solar has been keeping up with the phantom load from the LP detector and the inverter. So all is well at the moment. It is winterized, cabin power off, and sitting in 20 degree weather with the snow flying in Chicago this morning. I'm hoping the solar will keep up with the charge, I can always plug in a battery tender but will monitor the dealer installed solar and their choice of AGM batteries.

Best wishes for a great Holiday,
Jim
jjgoodie8 is offline   Reply With Quote