Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Alliance , Ohio
How to Self Install a second battery

I have searched the forum for 2 days looking for any "how to" on this subject with no luck. So, Here goes...

Can anyone tell me how to install a second battery on a 2014 16ft Sport. I would like to put it in the same location of the stock one.

Thanks!
Jessi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
where is the stock one?
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Alliance , Ohio
It is on the trailer frame, directly behind the propane tanks... On the right side when you are looking aft.
Jessi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Remove the single battery box, install a double battery box. Size of the box depends on the batteries you select. You might have to get a custom made battery box and additional support for it.

Google search "12v battery in parallel". You will get plenty of images and wiring diagrams.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Carver , Massachusetts
On my 22' sport I used vinyl board to fill the space inside the angles holding the battery and put two single boxes turned 90 degrees from the stock install. Couldn't fit two in the original orientation and keep them between the frame rails.
etobolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We've talked about this one at Alumapalooza, and I suggested you can add a third (or second) battery very easily by getting a female 7 way plug (like on your tow vehicle), a short length of 7 conductor wire with two eyelet ends, a small battery box, and a battery. Wire the white wire to the negative terminal of the battery, the black wire to the positive terminal, hook up the other end of the umbilical cord to the female plug, and simply plug it in to the male connector of the trailer. It will add to the trailer's electrical capacity, and can charge along with the other battery(s) in the system using the converter. It's not like you're trying to start your car, you're just supplying power for your lights.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
I've looked too. I would love to see a step-by-step to help fortify my confidence. Even a few pictures of a finished job would be helpful.

Why are you interested in adding a second battery? What do you want it to do for you?

Before you dive-in you might want to consider replacing your stock converter so that you won't be as likely to overcharge and ruin whatever battery system you decide to install. This is also a great time to plan to install any battery monitoring equipment that you might want.

Depending upon the amount of room that you have available you might consider purchasing one large battery instead of two smaller batteries. Perhaps one group 31 (or larger) instead of two group 24s? Here is a chart that I find useful when I'm comparing different combinations of batteries:

Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries

Also note that AS requires that the tongue weight never exceed 15% of your GVWR. +200 lbs. of batteries installed on the tongue is probably not reasonable on our little trailers.

I hope you'll share any good information that you find while you look into this.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Prince George , British Columbia
We added a second group 24 box and battery alongside the factory one. We had the battery shop make the wires to wire them in parallel. No problem.
Keith and Sue in PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

If considering multiple batteries, please check out the Optima units. Their "yellowtop" units have great deep discharge capacity and have more amps in smaller sizes. Depending on your battery box, you might be able to fit two smaller batteries that each have equal or better ampacity than your single old style.

Because these are totally sealed there are typically no out gassing problems unless charged too aggressively.

Many car applications have them mounted on their sides in remote locations. They must be isolated and charged separately if used in a parallel application.

http://d26maze4pb6to3.cloudfront.net...pecs_Sheet.pdf
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote