Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2022, 08:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
How to direct wire new batteries inside the coach?

So I see a lot of discussion about placing new batteries inside, under the front bed, in lieu of among the "rat's nest" of wires in the outside battery box that involves also powering the front jack and the portable solar connection. Can this be done by using new, dedicated wires (2gauge?) and leaving the original ones alone, in the battery box outside, accommodating those other functions? I'm a novice and know nothing. Is this a relatively simple task or out of my league? If doable, what materials do I need upon arriving at the dealership to get the trailer? (They already told me they don't mess with this kind of modification.) I'm not going to be able to just drop them into the battery box temporarily because I ordered 2 of the SOK 206Ah Lifepo4's, which someone replied wouldn't fit. What would the cables need to be connected to from the batteries? What size and length jumper(s) between the 3 batteries? Can wood be screwed to the floor under the bed to hold the bank in place? If any holes to the outside are required what is recommended to seal them up? The SOK's have sideways posts on top. Do I need any special adapters to orient differently to accept the leads?
koberudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:23 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
Between the two batteries (not 3) opps.
Old 10-22-2022, 04:47 AM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Can't comment on the relocation - not enough information. What trailer? Do you have photos?

But regarding the wire size, have you done a bit of math to determine what your largest possible draw on the batteries will be? This is the starting point of choosing battery cable size. The next step is figuring how long the cables will be. Unlike a 120vac circuit, a 12vdc circuit is much more susceptible to voltage drop as cables get longer and longer. The way to counter the voltage drop is to go up in size on the cable.

The one thing that caught my eye is your mention of 2ga wire. Very often people confuse 2 gauge with 2/0 gauge, which is like comparing angle hair pasta to rigatoni. Here's a chart from Blue Sea with recommended wire sizes based on distance and current draw. There are two columns on the left showing options for voltage drop. For anything sensitive to voltage levels you want to stick with the more conservative numbers.

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/reso...on_chartlg.jpg
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 08:14 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
Yes, I definitely want large enough leads. Has anyone ever pre ordered the battery hook ups under the bed from Airstream?
Old 10-22-2022, 08:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 28' International
Mercer County , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by koberudy View Post
Yes, I definitely want large enough leads. Has anyone ever pre ordered the battery hook ups under the bed from Airstream?
Airstream doesn't allow any customization to an order. Any customizations or non-standard options are either taken care of by the dealer or a 3rd party customizer.
jeffb831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 08:34 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The inverter ( if you have one ) will be the big hitter in terms of current. Depending on the size of the inverter, you might need to go to 4/0 cable. Re-routing the inverter cables inside the trailer *might* be possible.

As noted above, the stock AS approach is put batteries in the battery box. Anything other than that gets you into a "non-standard" install. That isn't going to happen from the factory. It may or may not happen at a dealer ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 01:51 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
Battery move

Moved our batteries in our 2016 23 FB from the front battery box to under the queen bed. Put in 4 battle born 100amp. Replaced garbage stock charger converter in inverter units with a single victron 3000 multiplus

Used 4 awg wire to interconnect the batteries

I pretty much got all of the bill materials from a website that a guy posted on how to do the upgrade in an older model AS..

Definitely use the wire gauge chart to determine the correct wire size to use. Don't go cheap on that part.

Works amazing! It was a fairly complex project but very proud of the final result.
jsmall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 03:00 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
Thanks all, I'm convinced by your replies that I should seek professional help, fulfillment of this project, especially on a brand new unit. Actually my wife insists. She doesn't seem to want me anywhere near those components. SO, my question is now, where to turn? Does anyone know of a proven professional shop or technician you would recommend, in NC, TN, or GA, but especially near Greensboro or central NC since this is where the dealership is located? We're willing to travel further if warranted. You can see we live in East TN. Our dealership doesn't do that modification. I know other Airstream dealers do, but of course it doesn't have to be an Airstream place, but preferably somewhere that specializes in Airstreams. You can PM me with the specific information if you like, especially about a place you have personal experience with. Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Thanks all, I'm convinced by your replies that I should seek professional help, fulfillment of this project, especially on a brand new unit. Actually my wife insists. She doesn't seem to want me anywhere near those components. SO, my question is now, where to turn? Does anyone know of a proven professional shop or technician you would recommend, in NC, TN, or GA, but especially near Greensboro or central NC since this is where the dealership is located? We're willing to travel further if warranted. You can see we live in East TN. Our dealership doesn't do that modification. I know other Airstream dealers do, but of course it doesn't have to be an Airstream place, but preferably somewhere that specializes in Airstreams. You can PM me with the specific information if you like, especially about a place you have personal experience with. Thanks again.
This is a bit farther from you, but A&P Vintage Trailer Works in Paradise, TX does a fantastic job with this type of work in addition to their usual business of remodeling and upgrading vintage Airstreams.

They just finished a large list of upgrades on my 2022 Globetrotter 27 FB Twin, including a complete overhaul of the electrical system (700 watts of solar, 1320ah of victron lithium batteries, 3KVA multiplus II 2x120, replaced all of the USB chargers, new 4k TVs, new 4k blu-ray player, pepwave br1 pro 5g, ax one light wifi AP, Truma tankless upgrade, and many more). Great folks to work with and impeccable quality.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 04:15 AM   #10
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Also a bit further, but Boundless Power in Ohio does installs like this.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 10:29 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
battery move

Vinnies North Bay Airstream is amazing. Original location in North California, but also has a place in Florida.. maybe too far for you.
jsmall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
So I see a lot of discussion about placing new batteries inside, under the front bed, in lieu of among the "rat's nest" of wires in the outside battery box that involves also powering the front jack and the portable solar connection. Can this be done by using new, dedicated wires (2gauge?) and leaving the original ones alone, in the battery box outside, accommodating those other functions? I'm a novice and know nothing. Is this a relatively simple task or out of my league? If doable, what materials do I need upon arriving at the dealership to get the trailer? (They already told me they don't mess with this kind of modification.) I'm not going to be able to just drop them into the battery box temporarily because I ordered 2 of the SOK 206Ah Lifepo4's, which someone replied wouldn't fit. What would the cables need to be connected to from the batteries? What size and length jumper(s) between the 3 batteries? Can wood be screwed to the floor under the bed to hold the bank in place? If any holes to the outside are required what is recommended to seal them up? The SOK's have sideways posts on top. Do I need any special adapters to orient differently to accept the leads?

So I know that my dealer said they could add two batteries inside the trailer to the two we have already in the battery box, without moving the ones in the battery box. (This would be a much cheaper proposition than moving them all together). We had debated it, but it still would have cost us $5k still for the dealer to add two batteries, and we just decided it wasn't the priority place to spend our money right now. That said, the answer is, yes, you can add batteries inside without moving the ones outside, but I am not technical enough or confident enough to tell you how to set it up, lol!
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
I did this. I essentially repurposed the stock cables from the battery box for the jack and a new solar port. I then installed new wiring for the new battery bank and charger/inverter inside. All detailed in the thread below.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...al-237452.html
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 05:13 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cleveland , Tennessee
Thanks Stielkurve, great engineering
Old 11-19-2022, 06:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Good plan on getting some professional assistance with your project. Trying to do this on the dealer lot before you tow home isn't going to work. You really need to be able to make your own cables which requires a hydraulic crimper to do them right. You'll also inevitably not have exactly what you need on-hand and will require more/different connectors, wire, screws, tools, etc. Lots of parts aren't available locally, so you might end up stuck. If you're going to DIY it, you will want to have plenty of time and a convenient location to do the work.

You're only 5 1/2 hours away from Airstream Nuts and Bolts in Daleville, AL. Ronnie (GMFL on the forum) does superb work and it's on the way to the beach.
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2you View Post
Good plan on getting some professional assistance with your project. Trying to do this on the dealer lot before you tow home isn't going to work. You really need to be able to make your own cables which requires a hydraulic crimper to do them right. You'll also inevitably not have exactly what you need on-hand and will require more/different connectors, wire, screws, tools, etc. Lots of parts aren't available locally, so you might end up stuck. If you're going to DIY it, you will want to have plenty of time and a convenient location to do the work.

You're only 5 1/2 hours away from Airstream Nuts and Bolts in Daleville, AL. Ronnie (GMFL on the forum) does superb work and it's on the way to the beach.
Totally agree, you will need 5 hours or so to do this right. I purchased multiple lengths (2’,3’,4’,6’,8’ etc) of cable with lugs from Amazon. I also purchased a crimping tool and extra lugs to shorten as needed. I returned what cable I didn’t use once the project was complete. I placed 3 Battleborn’s under the bed, added 4 Zamp panels up top, replaced my converter, added a second converter, additional 1,800 watt inverter up front. Lay it out to keep all of your runs as short as possible. Depending on your level of handiness, you can do this yourself and save a boatload.
Old 11-19-2022, 07:14 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Daniels , West Virginia
Ronnie Dennis is highly recommended by many on this site.
airstreamnutsandbolts@gmail.com
Dadeville,Al
rich e is offline   Reply With Quote