Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2015, 04:48 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Under normal operation, traveling down the road, the brakes are powered by the TV. However if the trailer separates from the TV while on the road the brake-away switch closes and supplies power to the brakes assuming there is a battery to draw that power from. Keep in mind that current will be 6,12, or 18 amps, depending on your axle count. That requires a good size battery, like those normally in the trailer.

Noone has yet said why the OPer wants to remove the batteries.
Yes, I know that. That's why I commented earlier about a breakaway switch that has its own smaller battery mounted near the switch near the ball negating the need for a regular trailer battery.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #22

Woodbridge , Ontario
great forum, thanks for the knowledge. I'm thinking of disconnecting the house batteries and using my solar yeti 1400 power bank to run the 12v in the unit. I'm trying to find info on how to do this
adrianpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I can think of any reason you would want to remove the batteries. They serve several functions you don't want to give up.

Power after dark.
Power for the brake system if the trailer disconnects while being towed.

Generally people try to increase the battery capacity not reduce it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes, you need the batteries connected to pull the trailer. I guess you are worried about the trailer batteries pulling the Yeti down? You could put disconnect switches on the batteries. I do not know how the Yetti will do with the 12 volt motor loads in the trailer. I would want the batteries in the circuit to smooth out the power draw. I do not have a Yetti and do not know the characteristics but the batteries are very good for most 12 volt loads.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I looked into the Yeti 1400 a little further and can't see any reason to consider removing the trailer batteries and using the Yeti.
That is equivalent to beaching a tug boat and replacing it with a yacht to move a barge.
Yes there are some interesting features in the Yeti battery pack but none that offer any advantage to the trailer. A simple solar panel installation would provide all of the features of the Yeti useful to a trailer, recharging wile off shore power.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:41 PM   #26

1987 32' Excella
Durango , Colorado
is this ok?

Im not sure if this is the correct thread to post on but ill go for it anyways...

We are currently NOT set up for road life due to some frame issues that need addressed in the future. Therefore, we are going to be using it purely on shore power here on our wooded acreage.
At the recommendation of a buddy I put in a 12v power supply similar to what is used in robotics to convert the 110-12v. We took out the sulfated batteries (that the prior owner swore were perfect) and the converter.
It has been running everything very well thus far and my only complaint is the fan noise.
Do any of you see a reason why this is not ok? Im new to AS and very new to anything 12v. We will primarily use it for guests until we sort out the frame damage issues.
thanks everyone!
Steve
SStockPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:00 PM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockPT View Post
Im not sure if this is the correct thread to post on but ill go for it anyways...

We are currently NOT set up for road life due to some frame issues that need addressed in the future. Therefore, we are going to be using it purely on shore power here on our wooded acreage.
At the recommendation of a buddy I put in a 12v power supply similar to what is used in robotics to convert the 110-12v. We took out the sulfated batteries (that the prior owner swore were perfect) and the converter.
It has been running everything very well thus far and my only complaint is the fan noise.
Do any of you see a reason why this is not ok? Im new to AS and very new to anything 12v. We will primarily use it for guests until we sort out the frame damage issues.
thanks everyone!
Steve
I would...

Put two AGM batteries and an RV converter in it.
That way you have emergency power when needed.👍

Bob
🇺🇸