Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Calgary , Alberta
How long do your batteries last

Hi There,

I have 2 three year old deep cycles batteries in my 2007 Safari and under boondocking conditions they are at 3/4 by the time I arrive at my camp site (1.5 hrs drive) and about 1/8 in less than six hours after that. Use us very minimal,...we are really careful with lights on, fans running, pumps, furnace fan, etc. Im thinking this is out of the norm and I thought I would go to the forum to see what normal should look like. As a side, I do have the Honda eu3000is to charge and convert but it is a pain that the charge doesn't hold. Lastly,...distilled water levels are good.

Please fill me in on your experiences with 2 deeps and boondocking. I may have to buy new batteries,...wahhhh!

Thanks so much!

Mihoff (Calgary, Alberta, CANADA)
Mihoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would have the batteries tested. My (1) lifeline battery is four years old and can last several days.

The most disturbing part is that they are at 3/4 after driving for a few hours. I assume they were fully charged when you left. One of your batteries could very possibly have an internal short.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I agree with Richard - get your batteries tested...be sure to have them fully charged before you attempt to have your local battery vendor do a load test on em'...

I like to tell my battery customers..."that you can't find a leak in a tire when it's flat- you have to pump it full of air first! - Same goes for batteries, if you take a dead battery in to be tested, it will always show 'BAD'...

I see lots of battery system problems as a result of the batteries themselves not being fully charged...I know, it sounds like a 'no brainer', but the battery system just can't run all your stuff if you don't see that the system's 'pumped up' first....

Ray
Old 08-23-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If you have the two batteries hooked up in parallel (positive to positive and negative to negative), you could have one good battery, and one with a shorted cell that is pulling the good one down. If you install a battery isolator, you can run off of one at a time; and if one goes bad, the other one isn't connected to it.

Of the original batteries in our 2005, one lasted only one year, and the other one went out after about 18 months. Also, when the first one went out with a shorted cell, it pulled the second one down; and we couldn't figure out why they were discharging so fast. After we figured out that only one was bad, we disconnected it until we could replace it and install the Perko marine battery isolation switch.

We bought one new Optima Blue Top in 2006 and put in the isolator switch; and bought the other one in 2007 when the other original battery failed. No problems since then, and no phantom loads when the switch is turned to OFF.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
We use 2 6 volt golf cart (exide) batteries in series, charged mostly with solar.
Perhaps I have been extremely lucky but we are now beginning year 8 with these.
3 to 4 years was the best I ever did with 12 volt deep cycle batteries.
We never float the batteries on AC, turn the converter off and only use when needed to make up for any defict from the solar panels
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
batteries will last longer if you don't discharge below 50% but if you want longer life the 6 volt with higher capacity will last longer.
Add distilled water on a regular basis, check each cell with a hydrometer.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Mihoff

They should last much longer. There is something wrong with your batteries or charging system.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Are these the original batteries? A 2007 trailer was built somewhere between the spring of 2006 and 2007. Look for the build date on the trailer. They could be 4+ years old and they could have been mistreated at the dealer.

Other posts have already said it all—get them checked and sounds like one or both are going bad. In buying new batteries you can read the numerous and sometimes contentious battery threads. Warning—reading battery threads can lead to extreme confusion and depression.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Have you de-sulphated your batteries? Lead Sulphate crystals build up on the battery's plates during the charge/discharge process. Over time this crystal buildup robs your battery's ability to accept a charge. Check out Pulse Tech desulphator units.

By the way, I finally replaced my Deep-Cycle battery on my trailer last year, after 8 camping seasons!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote