Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 12:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
How are you charging your Li-ion batteries?

I recently added a solar/Li-ion battery system to my 2020 Globetrotter and I'm curious as to what type of charging protocol others with similar installations are using to maintain their batteries.

We have an Audi e-tron EV and one of the things that Audi recommends to extend the life of the battery pack is to charge to a maximum of 80% for everyday use and to only charge to 100% when a long trip is anticipated. According to research done in Sweden, reduced charge levels can greatly extend (up to 130%) the life of Li-ion batteries. The article on this subject is here:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries

Audi makes it easy to program charge levels using the vehicle's on board computer. The Victron charger that is part of the solar package installed on my Airstream doesn't have this capability, however, which means that if left to it's own devices will always charge the batteries to 100%. For the period when the trailer is just sitting between trips, I'm considering "overriding" this by monitoring the charge level so that it doesn't exceed 70-80% and then using the disconnect switch to shut down the PV input from the solar panels. Once the battery charge drops to 40-50% I'll repeat the charging process.

Thoughts?

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:12 AM   #2
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
Not sure why would you spend a lot of time managing those charging parameters. I'm assuming you upgraded your factory Converter/Charger to a new one (such as a PD 4655L) that will automatically have the right charging profile for Lithium ION batteries.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:16 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
At 3 too ?k cycles for our BB's I/m not very worried about it.🤓
What we use.

Also...I don't believe the chemistry is the same.

Plus, if you charge to 80% might as well use AGM's and save the $$$$ for Camping.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8F6D935D-BD03-41FE-A47F-C085891ADA8F_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	379235   Click image for larger version

Name:	80C0D63D-D75B-48D8-B4EE-12B8ADDDA2C3_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	379236  

Old 09-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcmranger View Post
Not sure why would you spend a lot of time managing those charging parameters. I'm assuming you upgraded your factory Converter/Charger to a new one (such as a PD 4655L) that will automatically have the right charging profile for Lithium ION batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
At 3 too ?k cycles for our BB's I/m not very worried about it.��
What we use.

Also...I don't believe the chemistry is the same.

Plus, if you charge to 80% might as well use AGM's and save the $$$$ for Camping.

Bob
����
I've upgraded to a Victron Multiplus 3000VA inverter/charger so it does have the correct profile for Li-ion batteries. The issue (if you want to call it an issue) is that it will only charge automatically to 100%. According to what I've read lithium ion batteries last longer if not constantly charged to full capacity. Whether that's a significant concern with respect to RV battery life, as it is with EV batteries, is kind of the point of my original question.

To be clear, not keeping the Li-ion's constantly charged to 100% is something that I'm considering only for the extended periods of time between trips. Obviously, when we're out on the road camping I'll charge the batteries fully so that I get full utility out of my investment.

BTW, my system was installed by the folks at AM Solar in Springfield, Oregon who did a first class job in all respects.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I've upgraded to a Victron Multiplus 3000VA inverter/charger so it does have the correct profile for Li-ion batteries. The issue (if you want to call it an issue) is that it will only charge automatically to 100%. According to what I've read lithium ion batteries last longer if not constantly charged to full capacity. Whether that's a significant concern with respect to RV battery life, as it is with EV batteries, is kind of the point of my original question.

To be clear, not keeping the Li-ion's constantly charged to 100% is something that I'm considering only for the extended periods of time between trips. Obviously, when we're out on the road camping I'll charge the batteries fully so that I get full utility out of my investment.

BTW, my system was installed by the folks at AM Solar in Springfield, Oregon who did a first class job in all respects.
That is a good compromise. They last longest if never charged nor discharged completely, but the worst thing is leaving them fully charged or discharged and idle for longer periods. Regardless of what some folks say, it doesn't matter if they are in a car or flashlight...or anything in between.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote