Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
The Woodlands , Texas
House Battery Life

Regarding my 2015 AS Interstate...any idea how long I could reasonably expect the house batteries to last when parked with no shore power, engine off and no generator? I know it would depend on many variables of power usage, but assume one TV, fridge and occasional light. Would we be talking a matter of hours or days???
Johnsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
How many and what size batteries? A pair of group 27s should last all night in the summer if not running the furnace and a bunch of lights. You said TV and fridge so either you have a DC TV and fridge or using an inverter which will use more DC power to run itself too. Like you said, lots of variables. Fridge is a heat source and uses quite a few amps.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
The Woodlands , Texas
House Batteries Life

I have (2) AGM Group 24 house batteries and a 50amp multi-stage charger, 1000 watt inverter.
Johnsrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
House Battery Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsrt View Post
I have (2) AGM Group 24 house batteries and a 50amp multi-stage charger, 1000 watt inverter.

Assuming that you have the original Lifeline AGM batteries and the Magnum MMS-1012 inverter/charger, your battery life will be dependent on the following conditions:

• the average depth of discharge (DOD) that the batteries have experienced. The greater the DOD, the fewer charge cycles and associated battery longevity you can expect.

• amount of time left in a depleted state. The longer any battery is left in a deep DOD state, the more sulfation can form on the plates which will inhibit the batteries from receiving a full and complete charge, effectively decreasing the total capacity of the batteries.

• overall use of the coach. Many folks experience longer battery life when they rarely use their RVs, but keep them connected to shore power which will allow the batteries to be maintained in the float stage for extended periods. Minimal battery use also extends battery life.

The overall health of your batteries is impossible to ascertain without putting them thru a complete test with a conductance meter, as their history of charging and use is a complete unknown.

Once the battery capacity is determined, the number of available amp/hours of capacity can be calculated and they will provide you with up to 50% of their total.

Add up the loads you will be using and you can then determine exactly what your battery life will be for any given situation.

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Without a battery monitor like the Trimetric that totals amps or amp hours consumed (and replenished) it will be a guessing game. Curious what 50 amp charger you are referring to since they don't come it that size unless its a battery charger you purchased separate but since your question excluded shore power or generator it really is irrelevant.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
Without a battery monitor like the Trimetric that totals amps or amp hours consumed (and replenished) it will be a guessing game. Curious what 50 amp charger you are referring to since they don't come it that size unless its a battery charger you purchased separate but since your question excluded shore power or generator it really is irrelevant.

The Magnum MMS-1012 inverter/charger fits his description as it is a 1000 watt inverter with an integrated 50 amp 4-stage charger.

Lew Farber
Old 08-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
The Magnum MMS-1012 inverter/charger fits his description as it is a 1000 watt inverter with an integrated 50 amp 4-stage charger.

Lew Farber
10-4 I didn't know he had that, figured stock WFCO inverter and some other converter. Glad he's upgraded to something
Old 08-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Regarding my 2015 AS Interstate...any idea how long I could reasonably expect the house batteries to last when parked with no shore power, engine off and no generator? I know it would depend on many variables of power usage, but assume one TV, fridge and occasional light. Would we be talking a matter of hours or days???
The stock setups typically give you 2-3 days if you're not running the furnace or any of the fans. If it's cold and you're running the furnace a lot you'll maybe get one night.

It varies widely though with how good you are at conservation and what kind of shape your batteries and charging system are in.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Lewster, Great information all over this forum, Thanks. I am purchasing a 2016 AI 3500 GT Ext and wish to determine the battery health. You mentioned.
"The overall health of your batteries is impossible to ascertain without putting them thru a complete test with a conductance meter, as their history of charging and use is a complete unknown." What test is required and is this something the dealer can perform?
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Howdy!

The only way a dealer can run a conductance test is with a conductance meter. I have one but many dealers do not! In fact, I would be hard prodded to not only find a dealer with one, but also the appropriate staff who is knowledgable to use one PROPERLY!!!

I would call around to find one and if not, call ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilly43 View Post
Lewster, Great information all over this forum, Thanks. I am purchasing a 2016 AI 3500 GT Ext and wish to determine the battery health. You mentioned.
"The overall health of your batteries is impossible to ascertain without putting them thru a complete test with a conductance meter, as their history of charging and use is a complete unknown." What test is required and is this something the dealer can perform?