Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2024, 07:18 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Help Me Understand Batteries!

Hi,

2019 25’ Flying Cloud FB 50 amp model. On shore power.

Brand new pair of 12v Lifeline AGM 80ah batteries AND brand new Progressive Dynamics PD 9360V 60 Amp Battery Selectable Converter Charger.

Been installed ~8 hours. When I opened the box both batteries were at 13.6v and still there when I had it all connected. Both with a multimeter at battery terminals and inside stock panel.

I was gone all day and nothing major being used. Lights off etc. So now 12.8 v with both overhead lights on. 13.3v without. Is this normal?

So do I need to more aggressively charge these batteries? The PD converter has a pendant where I can chose Bulk 14v, Absorption 14.7v or Float 13.6v. It’s currently on Float 13.6v.

I read dire warnings about not discharging much below 12.5+/- volts but do not know how to manage that since this can occur without me knowing…..

What are some basic battery maintenance tips when on shore power? I can figure when boondocking…”stop what you’re doing and charge the batteries!” but not sure how to monitor and notice problems when on shore power.

Thanks!

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 05:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think you need too let the batteries sit without the converter on for about an hour before you read the voltage. I think fully charged batteries may get to about 12.8 volts when "resting". Not sure mine ever get over `12.7. It sounds to me like your system is fine. You might try to check to see how much draw you nave with everything supposedly shut off in the trailer. It is easy to have a light in a compartment on all the time and not know it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
What you're seeing is normal. 12 volt batteries will show a higher reading immediately after charging and then show a lower, more accurate reading after being allowed to sit for 30 minutes or so. If you're on shore power, you shouldn't have to monitor battery condition often - the charger takes care of that automatically. You can check it periodically and you should get 13.6 volts or so just to confirm the converter is working. Obviously, you have to check more often if dry camping without some other source of energy being supplied to the batteries.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
I'm still baffled how my 4 year old abused Deka AGMs are still ok!

For at least the past 3 years if not the entire 4 years I had them they seemed to only get to 10.4v constantly! I figured one day they wouldn't do what I needed and replace them. Tracking down another electrical issue I decided to go ahead and replace now.

So 24 hours uninstalled and they are both reading 12.75v!

Odd thing is speaking with an RV tech about the new ones and said they 13.3v I read on the new ones is the charge from the converter not the actual battery voltage. As stated above to get actual battery voltage one must unplug from converter. So my older converter must have been kaput since day 1 since it rarely was over 11.9 v which is 75% discharged! I don't know of any charging scheme that charges at 11.9v....is there?

Thanks again!

Trav
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote