Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2002, 08:21 PM   #1

help dead short

I just bought a 63 trade wind and while cleaning it up i went in the house and found that it tripped a breaker in my house. So i unpluged the trailer reset the breaker and popped it again. Ihave shut the breakers off in the trailer and every thing is ok to the trailer breaker box. I belive it has a converter box 110 to 12v. I was wonder if anybody has any ideas or a wiring diagram or info on where i could get one(wiring diagram). thanks pete
pk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 08:33 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Dead short???

I'm ole electrician. Whats a dead short. If ya touch it yer ded??
To determine any electrical fault all the information should be known.. Some critical information required to solve this difficulty would be.....amperage of tripped breaker, does this circuit breaker control just the recepticle trailer is connected,size of trailer power cable, total length of voltage run, and is circuit breaker GFIC type breaker???????
Some times old converters will trip the incoming 120volt ac supply line. If trailer has a small 120volt ac breaker or fuse panel, remove all fuses or turn off all circuit breakers and retry house breaker. Depending on results of test reconnect fuses or circuit breakers to find fault....
Tell it all, this fault can be found.
Old 05-27-2002, 09:47 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
GFI trips

One other thought. Was the breaker that tripped a ground fault circuit? I went round and round on this one when my trailer was at home getting ready for a trip. I plugged in a new TV and found it tripped out the garage outlet GFI that the Safari was plugged into.

Returned the TV for a new one of the same model. It did the same thing. It ended up being apparently some leakage on the TV chasis that apparently flowed when I attached the TV to the antenna hookup on the Safari. Enough leakage to trip the GFI. Apparently a design fault of the TV.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 09:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
My first quick question is are you just plugging in to a standard 15 or 20 amp plug/circuit in say the garage? Are you running the trailers AC unit on said circuit.

To be safe you should have a dedicated circuit for a travel trailer, minimum 30 amp, 50 amp is nicer, using a heavy duty RV type, as short as you can, extension cable.

Let us know.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 07:42 PM   #5

thanks for your ideas. found problem rubbed thru wire in wall to outlet by water pump sw. is it possable to snake new wire thru w/ all the gromets they used. still looking for manuels and wiring diagrams thanks Pete
Old 05-28-2002, 08:20 PM   #6

I forgot to tell you that she is a 1963 trade wind 24.Ihauled her off a lot where she sat since 1979 300.00 dollar speical. my first trailer any info would be great. thanks Pete
Old 05-29-2002, 08:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Pete. It is impossible to feed wires through the grommets, etc. Also there are no wiring diagrams available, never was. Let us know what you want to do, and I am sure someone on this site can give you some helpful hints.
Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote