Old 07-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Generator powers AC "only" while trailer running off batteries

Currently, as soon as I plug into 30 amp power regardless it being a generator or shore. The entire trailer defaults to using that as its power source. Has anyone installed a bypass switch of some kind which allows you to power your ac only from the 30A Power inlet? I would like to run my AC with easy start solely off of (1) Honda eu2200i when shore power is not available. The rest of the trailer other than refrigerator, microwave and water heater would run off the batteries.

I already have (2) eu2200's for times when needed...batteries low etc. Im looking for the flexibility of only running one when I have fully charged batteries. Overnight while on the road, parking lot...etc. Run AC, lights on, cook dinner while kids watch TV.

s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 02:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
It's a complexity that really is not necessary. If you want to run your A/C off the generator, your water heater and refrig should be in propane mode. You should also not run the inverter and should trip the breaker for the charger. If your batteries are fully charged, your charger/inverter may not draw enough current to be a problem. Nevertheless, when you do not need the A/C, you can turn it off and reenergize the charger and charge up the batteries.
Larry

lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
So...with the generator plugged in and I trip the breaker for the charger: If I use the inverter, does that place load on the generator or run solely off of the batteries? If it's solely the batteries, I should be able to run the tv's for an hour or two with fully charged batteries. correct? Or, if it does place load on the generator, I either choose not to run the inverter for tv's or hook up the second generator.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

You don't list your model/year and I cannot be certain of how your trailer is wired. But the way mine was when stock was the inverter was directly off the batteries and the converter/charger off had no impact. So, yes you could use the inverter to power a TV.
Larry
Old 07-30-2020, 05:46 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
It’s a 2020 international serenity 25FB...thanks for all of the feedback!
Old 07-30-2020, 05:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
. . . and just to re-confirm that the fridge and water heater are in their propane modes, while the generator is powering only the air conditioner, as I understand it, . . . so that new readers here are on the same page.

You might want to check your owner's manual, because I seem to recall that some newer trailers have their inverters "pass through" the generator's 120-volt output to the inverter duplex outlets, bypassing the batteries. If so, you may trip the circuit breaker on the single gen's output, with the air conditioner also running IMO.

Larry, is there anything to this?

One minor tweak . . . switch the air conditioner's fan speed to Low if that works for your needs.

Thanks,
Old 07-30-2020, 05:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PS -- You should monitor your battery voltage carefully, and not let them get below ~12.2 volts [~50%]. [assuming you have the standard flooded-cell lead batteries]

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm

Happy trails,
Old 07-30-2020, 06:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Yeah, we are seeing posts that some or all of the new trailers do not have propane refrigerators. If that is the case and you place your refrigerator in DC mode, because you won't be able to use AC mode and the A/C on a small generator, you will have a big load on your batteries. I do not know the specs for those refrigerators but I suspect the DC load plus a load on the inverter is going to be a quick drain on the batteries. That might be fine if you had the generator available for battery charging, but it is fully utilized for the A/C. I would guess you need more generator power in that scenario. Finally, if Peter is right, and I do remember some posts on that, you might get by with one TV on the inverter.
Larry
Old 07-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Good points Larry, the new trailers without propane-fired fridge's are catching lots of folks unaware. Shameful of Airstream and the dealer salespersons not to make this abundantly clear during the sales process.

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+...=airforums.com
Gone from 2020's: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...-s-202565.html

So short-sighted to equip an Airstream without one of the most amazing features they have always had -- the ability to boondock without much shore power/gen sustenance. Eliminating the old roof flues, for the fridge's propane exhaust, was another major "miss" by Airstream, as their absence forces all kinds of battery-dependent "solutions" using fans etc..

"Less is More" seems to be dying off . . .

Old 07-30-2020, 10:56 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
My 2020 international does have the Dometic RM3762 fridge with Both AC & LP operation. I will make sure to switch it from auto to LP when running the air on 1 EU2200i. I’ll dig into the inverter a little more and try to figure out how it is configured.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the update. Wondering if your owner's manual says anything about the inverter's "pass through" possibilities. [Post #6]
Old 08-01-2020, 08:08 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Vacaville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
Currently, as soon as I plug into 30 amp power regardless it being a generator or shore. The entire trailer defaults to using that as its power source. Has anyone installed a bypass switch of some kind which allows you to power your ac only from the 30A Power inlet? I would like to run my AC with easy start solely off of (1) Honda eu2200i when shore power is not available. The rest of the trailer other than refrigerator, microwave and water heater would run off the batteries.

I already have (2) eu2200's for times when needed...batteries low etc. Im looking for the flexibility of only running one when I have fully charged batteries. Overnight while on the road, parking lot...etc. Run AC, lights on, cook dinner while kids watch TV.
Most campgrounds have generator hours and do not allow them to be run all night. In CA state parks, it is strictly enforced: 10am-8pm. And as I understand it, if you’re parked in a parking lot, like Walmart, you’re not supposed to be “camping” and using your generators, awning, grill, etc. Please observe the common courtesies of camping.
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:47 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I highly doubt I will ever need to use the generators in most of the campgrounds we will be visiting. My plan is to use it only when absolutely necessary. I can assure you, it won’t be during any hours or even a place when there is potential of disturbing anyone. Camping is all about relaxing, I am far from that irritating neighbor! BTW, I am new to the forum. I came up with a good way to secure the genie and started a new post Friday. I still don’t see it on the Forum, is there a time delay of some sort for new members?
Old 08-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Can you post a link to that topic when it's up and running. I'm curious as to your solution.
Quote:
I highly doubt I will ever need to use the generators in most of the campgrounds we will be visiting. My plan is to use it only when absolutely necessary. I can assure you, it won’t be during any hours or even a place when there is potential of disturbing anyone. Camping is all about relaxing, I am far from that irritating neighbor! BTW, I am new to the forum. I came up with a good way to secure the genie and started a new post Friday. I still don’t see it on the Forum, is there a time delay of some sort for new members?
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:

First, the trailer doesn't "default to shore power" as if there is a relay somewhere that is transferring the loads. Almost everything in the trailer runs from 12 volts. The exceptions are the AC, microwave, electrical outlets that are not marked as inverter outlets, the water heater electric element, and the fridge if set for automatic. The converter is connected to the batteries and the two of them in parallel provide the power for all 12V loads. If there is no shore power, the batteries carry the load. If there is shore power, the converter carries the load and tries to charge the batteries.

I must be missing something, and no one else has asked so I have to:
Why do you want to do this? I'm not intending to be critical, I'd just like to understand your motivation. If you have shore/generator power available, why not use it? If your batteries are fully charged, the converter load would be minimal.

A modern television should be around 50-75 watts. Run from the inverter, for two hours that would be about 20 amp hours which is about 20-25% of the usable capacity of two Group 27 batteries. Adding lights and control for fridge and AC (it uses 12V from the batteries too) you could need a full recharge in two days. How do you plan to replace that charge? The stock converter is much better at maintaining the batteries under light load than recharging them from substantial discharge. Unless you have modified the tow vehicle it will not provide sufficient recharge in a normal day of driving.

If you are going to run the generator anyway - let it provide all the power. I have done exactly that with my EU2000i and my 2002 Classic 30. The only thing I discovered I could not do is run the AC and microwave. In fact, my generator running from propane will not run the microwave, even without the AC. I have run AC, lights, and television with no problems. I do have an EasyStart as you do, so AC starting current is much less of a problem.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Regarding securing the genie, there are a couple video links below. I contemplated metal, plastic & wood. I went with wood due to Low weight and the difficulty someone will experience cutting when it is laying flat on the ground. The perpetrator would need a wood cutting blade on a sawzall and the ability to squeeze it in the 1“or 2” Gap between the wheel and generator. ...or a good ole fashioned hand saw with a lot of Ambition & patience!!! When they attempt to cut the #10 hardened steel bolts attaching the genie to the Baltic birch plate, they will eventually contact the steel bushings which spin freely when the blade comes in contact with them... ��... good luck with that!!! Anyway...here you go...
https://youtu.be/WrwxNBInThY

https://youtu.be/RWYqps5bSrc
Old 08-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Here is a link to the post regarding Securing your generator. My apologies in advance! I should have edited it when I had the chance. Take a look at the videos, it’s going to be really difficult to remove the generator without potentially damaging the unit.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...fe-212081.html
Old 08-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
. . .
I must be missing something, and no one else has asked so I have to:
Why do you want to do this? I'm not intending to be critical, I'd just like to understand your motivation. If you have shore/generator power available, why not use it? If your batteries are fully charged, the converter load would be minimal.
. . .
As a relative newcomer to this Airstream adventure [9 posts], he or she was simply trying to understand the subtleties of using only one gen IMO.

Quote:
. . .
. . . I would like to run my AC with easy start solely off of (1) Honda eu2200i when shore power is not available.
. . .
Happy trails,
Old 08-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . I came up with a good way to secure the genie and started a new post Friday. I still don’t see it on the Forum, is there a time delay of some sort for new members?
There may be a time delay for new members . . . is this your new thread?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37...fe-212081.html

Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-02-2020, 05:18 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Yes, that’s it.