Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella Limited
Dallas , TX
Question Fuse confusion

We recently purchased a 1981 Excella. It has the traditional glass automotive fuses for our 12 volt circuits. While trying to repair our furnace now that it's cold outside, I accidentally blew the fuse controlling that circuit. The manual says the circuit uses a 20 Amp fuse and I replaced the impossible-to-remove- without-breaking blown fuse with that. That one didn't last long. All of the remaining fuses are higher amp ratings than 20. What's with that? I stuck a 30 Amp in the circuit and it seems to hold. Is the manual incorrect? I'm not too worried about an overload, but want to prevent a potential problem down the road.
capbli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by capbli View Post
We recently purchased a 1981 Excella. It has the traditional glass automotive fuses for our 12 volt circuits. While trying to repair our furnace now that it's cold outside, I accidentally blew the fuse controlling that circuit. The manual says the circuit uses a 20 Amp fuse and I replaced the impossible-to-remove- without-breaking blown fuse with that. That one didn't last long. All of the remaining fuses are higher amp ratings than 20. What's with that? I stuck a 30 Amp in the circuit and it seems to hold. Is the manual incorrect? I'm not too worried about an overload, but want to prevent a potential problem down the road.
I have a fuse puller I use for glass fuses but a very small flat tip screwdriver inserted underneath one of the metal ends also works quite well.

It's never a good idea to go up in amps on a fuse, usually invites trouble. Was the original a slo-blo style fuse? Those can handle amp variations better than a standard fuse. Maybe the fan motor needs to be replaced because it's dragging and blowing the fuse?

Is the 30 amp fuse warm/hot, particularly on fan motor startup?
Did you try a 25 amp?

Any port in a storm but I'd try to find out why the 20 amp keeps blowing. Make sure you have a slo-blo style 20 amp, usually indicated on the metal bands of the original glass fuse.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:47 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Huntington , West Virginia
20 is correct

Hi, just saw your post while searching for 12vt wiring and fuse panel schematics. I also recently acquired an '81 Excella 280 and am working through its furnace and other electrical issues.
From my owners manual and limited experience, the 20A fuses are correct. I would caution against using anything larger and instead look for what's causing the blown fuse, They're safety devices afterall.
That being said, I'm not an expert and am myself confused about my Airstream's electrical systems and would like to know if you have found any helpful schematics. Even knowing what you have found out about which circuits go with which fuse is appreciated.
Good luck
asellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto to the last two comments . . . a higher amp fuse is asking for trouble IMO.

Diagnose/fix the problem before a fire does IMO.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote