Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Expion360 Viper Power Cell Airstream Kit

Hi All,

I have been looking for batteries to upgrade my factory installed Interstates. The long term goal is to install a solid lithium/solar solution (similar to Wulfraat's) but need to save the pennies for that job. I'm thinking about putting in some AGM batteries with a suitcase Zamp solar for several months before starting a big project and be able to enjoy our summer trips.

Cutting to the chase, I Called Adventures NW where we bought our 2018 30' FC Bunk and they were really pushing for this lithium package which from the link says it's specific for Airstreams: http://evpowerpac.com/EV-V120-2A-KIT...1&s=706&&id=41

Is anyone familiar with these batteries/company? I had sticker shock at the price, for 2 x 120 Ah batteries, controller and some wire it's $4,399.00. Does that seem pretty high to some? If we look at Battleborn similar batteries only its ~ $2,000, not sure what I'm missing here and would like to know what makes this an 'Airstream' specific kit? Appreciate the feedback.

Hoagy
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
$4,400 for 240ah of lithium storage and a $200 progressive dynamics lithium charger is too high of a price.

Price of a 300ah Victron battery is $3,700 and .... it’s a victron - much better performance if you look at things like continuous discharge rate, charge rate, etc. and that’s $500 cheaper when you factor in a basic progressive dynamics charger.

If you want a simple setup I’d look at battle born or what have you - less $$.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Since the website tells you almost nothing about what's in the packages, it's hard to say. My impression isn't favorable, though. Claims seem exaggerated, cables look too small...and there's so little information on that product page. The fact that they don't even list the components you're getting is suspicious to me.

As for the price... as Wulfraat pointed out, for that amount you could put together a Victron Smart Lithium system, which is really top quality, from a company that has been around for decades and knows their stuff. (That's what I did.) Or as you noted, you could go with a lower-cost solution from a company such as Battle Born. There are lots of folks in these forums who have gone that route.

But lithium isn't going to be cheap, no matter who you buy it from. And it's an open question whether you really need its capabilities at this point. You wrote: "I'm thinking about putting in some AGM batteries with a suitcase Zamp solar for several months before starting a big project." I think you have the right idea. A couple of Lifeline AGMs and a "solar suitcase" will be a significant yet affordable upgrade to your present system, and will give you experience that'll help you make a better choice when you decide to upgrade to something fancier.

By the way, you mentioned that you "would like to know what makes this an 'Airstream' specific kit?" As far as I can see, the only thing Airstream-specific is that the batteries are side by side instead of end to end, presumably so they'll fit in an Airstream battery box. Which is actually a bad place to put them, because lithium batteries don't like to be too hot (they'll lose capacity) or too cold (charging them when temps are below freezing can kill them)... so you have to ask yourself how much these Viper people actually know about what they are selling. The lithium installations I've read about that were done by people like Lewster who know their stuff were all inside the rig, where temperatures are more stable.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika View Post
Since the website tells you almost nothing about what's in the packages, it's hard to say. My impression isn't favorable, though. Claims seem exaggerated, cables look too small...and there's so little information on that product page. The fact that they don't even list the components you're getting is suspicious to me.

As for the price... as Wulfraat pointed out, for that amount you could put together a Victron Smart Lithium system, which is really top quality, from a company that has been around for decades and knows their stuff. (That's what I did.) Or as you noted, you could go with a lower-cost solution from a company such as Battle Born. There are lots of folks in these forums who have gone that route.

But lithium isn't going to be cheap, no matter who you buy it from. And it's an open question whether you really need its capabilities at this point. You wrote: "I'm thinking about putting in some AGM batteries with a suitcase Zamp solar for several months before starting a big project." I think you have the right idea. A couple of Lifeline AGMs and a "solar suitcase" will be a significant yet affordable upgrade to your present system, and will give you experience that'll help you make a better choice when you decide to upgrade to something fancier.

By the way, you mentioned that you "would like to know what makes this an 'Airstream' specific kit?" As far as I can see, the only thing Airstream-specific is that the batteries are side by side instead of end to end, presumably so they'll fit in an Airstream battery box. Which is actually a bad place to put them, because lithium batteries don't like to be too hot (they'll lose capacity) or too cold (charging them when temps are below freezing can kill them)... so you have to ask yourself how much these Viper people actually know about what they are selling. The lithium installations I've read about that were done by people like Lewster who know their stuff were all inside the rig, where temperatures are more stable.
Thanks Paprika, I think you and wulfraat hit the key points and I completely agree with you. I think I will go the AMG route or if I do go with a lithium setup it will be with another vendor with more experience. I'd hate to think that they put the 'Airstream' name in their kit to target new AS owners who may not have done their research. The dealer was doing a hard sell on this also and makes me wonder what their cut of the pie is. Or there is the offhand possibility it does have some 'magical' AS application that beats all other lithium solutions
Old 06-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
So I went with 2 FullRiver DC224-6 volt AGM's in a series connection. Next buy is the Renogy 200 watt suitcase with the MC4 to SAE adaptor. I chose Renogy over Zamp (AS is pre-wired for Zamp) for price and quality. I've read a lot of good in regards to both Zamp and Renogy but can't beat the $400 plus price difference! Some of the brackets for the Zamp setup may be higher quality but I hear Renogy customer service is top notch. We should be all set since we do have a pair of Honda eu2200i/ic generators to top off or run the A/C's if temps get too warm.

Happy camping!
Old 06-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
These Viper batteries are for the most part self contained. BMS is contained within the batteries. No need for extra management stuff. Pretty much plug and play. They also come with a lithium charger.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
did you look at battle born. they have a built in BMS.

i am happy with our BB install
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote