Old 08-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Flirence , Alabama
Electrical system

I'm restoring a 1974 Overlander. None of the original electrical system was still there when I got it. There was a bulky charger but I'm not sure if it's original. Does anyone out there recommend an all-in-one charger/converter/distribution panel? Also what size do I need?
Thanks
wtjaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

What will you be doing? Are you planning to have solar? Are lithium batteries an option? Will you have an inverter? How about an automatic transfer switch? How much air conditioning will you have when done ?

Welcome to the biggest problem with a "clean slate" You don't have any significant constraints on what you do. It's all up to what you want to do with the trailer.

A few branches:

30A is fine for one AC and not a lot of other stuff. 50A is what you need for two AC units. Yes it came one way, you may not want it to be that way when you are done.

Some people are putting in a *lot* of solar for off grid use. If that is something you are thinking about, it will drive some of the bits and pieces you buy.

The trailer "as built" worked for a lot of people for a lot of years. There's *nothing* at all wrong with popping in the modern equivalent of what was there.

Think a bit about what you want to do and then decide on what to use.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Flirence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

What will you be doing? Are you planning to have solar? Are lithium batteries an option? Will you have an inverter? How about an automatic transfer switch? How much air conditioning will you have when done ?

Welcome to the biggest problem with a "clean slate" You don't have any significant constraints on what you do. It's all up to what you want to do with the trailer.

A few branches:

30A is fine for one AC and not a lot of other stuff. 50A is what you need for two AC units. Yes it came one way, you may not want it to be that way when you are done.

Some people are putting in a *lot* of solar for off grid use. If that is something you are thinking about, it will drive some of the bits and pieces you buy.

The trailer "as built" worked for a lot of people for a lot of years. There's *nothing* at all wrong with popping in the modern equivalent of what was there.

Think a bit about what you want to do and then decide on what to use.

Bob

Thanks Bob. It was working on a 30amp set up when I got it. I'm not sure the size of the ac but I only have one unit. I'll be going back with a gas/electric refrigerator. My battery is a new deep cycle lead acid. All of my lights will be 12v. I've thought about solar panels, is that something I could add later?

Thanks
Wes
Old 08-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There's solar and then there's SOLAR. Dropping a couple of 100W panels on to top up the batteries is not a real big deal. Putting ten panels (gulp !!) up on the roof and four to eight batteries is another issue entirely.

Will you have an inverter? (converts 12V back to 120V) The "modern" trailers all have them. The "good old ones" often did not come from the factory with them.

Why this matters:

If you have a lot of solar, the electrical system starts to organize around that. If you have an inverter, the next question is switching 120V outlets between shore power and the inverter.

Bob
Old 08-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Flirence , Alabama
I don't have an inverter. What can I power with 2 panels vs. 8 panels. We will probably camp most of the time at a camp ground with power. I could see us boondocking some. Only if we were traveling and needing a place to stay one night. Not a long duration.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Really simple solar:

You want enough panels to re-charge your batteries in one day.

Really simple batteries:

You want enough battery capacity to run for two days.
Lead acid batteries stop being useful at 1/2 their amp hour rating

What you run off of the batteries is very much up to you. Some can't exist without a long list of electronic and electrical gizmos. Others have much more modest needs. Even lighting can be a variable.

At the minimum, you want enough battery to keep the control circuits in the fridge going. You also need enough to power up the propane, CO, and smoke detectors (you want to have those if they are not there now ...). For most of us running the water pump is not optional. Some use of fans is sort of inevitable if you are not using the AC. With a lot of care care you can do that off of an ~ 80AH battery (on a two day basis). Doing it with a pair of those batteries is a bit more common.

Unless you just *have* to have television, I'd ignore the inverter. Everything else is pretty easy to do off of 12V. You can rig the TV to work on 12V but it gets messy when you add in BluRay players and all the other modern nonsense.

Bob
Old 08-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Flirence , Alabama
A lot of good stuff to think about, thanks. What about a panel and charger?

Wes
Old 08-05-2017, 06:07 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtjaynes View Post
A lot of good stuff to think about, thanks. What about a panel and charger?

Wes
Hi

I'll let others chime in with their favorites. I try to stay out of that battle. Once you know what you are after it sorts out pretty fast. I'd go for a panel independent of the charger, but that's just me. My logic being that if the charger / converter dies, it's really easy to swap out one that is not integrated into the panel. The panel pretty much never dies and wiring it up is a bit of work. Leaving it in place for a *long* time makes sense. No inverter means no transfer switch means everything is nice and simple / easy. Better to keep it that way

I've never really seen a panel I couldn't work with. To me, it's tough to pick a "best". Converters scale with battery size. They also are a "you get what you pay for" kind of thing. The "best" converter might be way more than anybody ever wants to pay. I'd go with any of the typical units and move on. The only weird thing I would add is a temperature probe for the battery so it charges correctly. There are a *lot* of converters that will accept a probe ...

Bob
Old 08-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtjaynes View Post
I'm restoring a 1974 Overlander. None of the original electrical system was still there when I got it. There was a bulky charger but I'm not sure if it's original. Does anyone out there recommend an all-in-one charger/converter/distribution panel? Also what size do I need?
Thanks
If you're really starting from scratch and can therefore get everything to come together in one location the intellipower mighty mini ac/dc all in one panel can be nice to use.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote