Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 Nest
San Rafael , California
Does anyone have experience using UPS batteries?

Yes, I know that deep cycle batteries are the correct ones to use, but I have been given two large (about 125-130 AmpHrs ea & 98lbs ea!) UPS batteries. Being that they have less lead thickness in the mats, how dramatically will their life spans be altered (shortened)? They are rated for ten years in a UPS environment and are five yrs old. Since their 12v, I'll parallel them. The other question is how about the converter? I have no information on it. How harsh might that be on the batteries? Their is nothing in the manuals for our 2007 Bambi. The monitor for the trailer is a standard Airstream Micro Pulse Systems Monitor.
The PO had also installed a small (40watt) solar panel and Go Power charge controller, so that will keep a nice trickle on the batteries
Thanks,
-Marc
Silvr_Lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I never used it for the trailer, but I did CARRY it in the trailer whenever the itinerary included one or more boondocking nights. I used a 100ah AGM battery designed for UPS applications to run my CPAP via an inverter... it was WAY oversized, I used the spec sheet for the CPAP rather than plugging it into a kill-a-watt to see what it REALLY draws at my settings. It ran great, no problems and survived the travel in the Airstream for years.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
I believe those are AGM batteries.
Since they were given to you, hook them up and try them out. Just don't get rid the OEM Interstate until they've proven themselves.
I'm not so sure you can parallel AGM with flooded, I think there is a difference in how much voltage they like to be charged with. A battery select switch might be in order if you just want to add them to an existing battery.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #4
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
I have used them and still do. Works for me. I currently have two100 AH batteries. I quite frankly do not understand the allegiance to battery brands. I don't really know the exact makeup of different brands but the basic concept is all the same.

Here is a link of what manufacture makes what battery brand.
http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I've used UPS style sealed lead acid batteries for years in various applications.

Ive used this one

Universal Power Group 45978 Sealed Lead Acid Battery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044Z8DJW..._wYa-ybCY1J0J5

For a semi portable 12v / 1000 watt inverter setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2994.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	664.4 KB
ID:	283725

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2995.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	541.7 KB
ID:	283726

Amazingly I built that back in 2013, still going strong. Always stored on a trickle charger.

Treated correctly (and if they were treated correctly) you will get good service from them. I've found through experience that they seem more susceptible to complete failure if fully discharged. Most batteries are but especially these. They just don't come back to life if over discharged.

Don't mix batteries as others said. I think you meant you were going to parallel these two batteries replacing the originals.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Fallon , Nevada
Should be OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Lining View Post
Yes, I know that deep cycle batteries are the correct ones to use, but I have been given two large (about 125-130 AmpHrs ea & 98lbs ea!) UPS batteries. Being that they have less lead thickness in the mats, how dramatically will their life spans be altered (shortened)?
I'm certain they're deep cycle: A. 125-130 Ah & 98 lb would indicate deep cycle. 98 lbs for 130 Ah is a lot. That indicates a LOT of lead. The main difference between an automotive starting battery is the amount of lead used. Automotive starting batteries are constructed of lead sponge which is lighter and presents more surface area for a faster chemical reaction. If you need to run your starter for more than 90 seconds, you're abusing the whole starter system. Providing maybe five or ten amps to a load for hours requires more lead. B. Why would anybody put anything else in a UPS? A UPS doesn't need to supply the huge, short-duration starting pulse an automotive starter requires but it does need to supply current for a long time.
Granted, a UPS should maintain the batteries on a float voltage almost all their lifetimes, vs. RV usage which depletes their charge regularly. All batteries used in RVs face the same.
There should be no lead in the mats, only in the anode and cathode.

Quote:
They are rated for ten years in a UPS environment and are five yrs old.
Good luck! We use tons of UPSes at work. I've never seen one last ten years. A little more than five years is all I expect. Maybe seven years.

Quote:
Since their 12v, I'll parallel them. The other question is how about the converter? I have no information on it. How harsh might that be on the batteries? Their is nothing in the manuals for our 2007 Bambi. The monitor for the trailer is a standard Airstream Micro Pulse Systems Monitor.
The PO had also installed a small (40watt) solar panel and Go Power charge controller, so that will keep a nice trickle on the batteries
Thanks,
-Marc
Sounds to me like you're on the right track. If you Glamp much and use the converter much, replace it with a proper 3- or 4-stage device. If you're boondocking, keep the batteries topped off with a small 3-stage charger while at home.
Happy trails from the Scourge of the ION.
Scorge-ION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 Nest
San Rafael , California
Thanks all

Thanks everyone. I'm going to take everyone's advice and plug 'em in.
Happy trails to you all,
-Marc
Silvr_Lining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
Another display of total ignorance. What the heck are UPS batteries and why would I want to use them vs other brands?
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Farmer View Post
Another display of total ignorance. What the heck are UPS batteries and why would I want to use them vs other brands?

UPS = Uninterrupted Power Supply

It's not so much a battery brand but a type of battery used within Uninterrupted Power Supplies. Batteries used in UPS's are typically deep cycle as they need to store as much power as possible and don't need to supply massive cranking amps. UPS's come in various sizes from small ones with 5 AH batteries to huge server room ones with multiple 100 AH batteries.

I think that's what you were asking.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote