Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2017, 11:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Vista , California
Do you need to turn off the batteries when not using your trailer with Solar

I have nice gel cell batteries and a solar panel. Can I just leave the batteries on with the solar to manage and keep the batteries charged?
sixgillshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Danville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgillshark View Post
I have nice gel cell batteries and a solar panel. Can I just leave the batteries on with the solar to manage and keep the batteries charged?
From what I've read, there is concern that the stock converter in my 2017 Intern. 23FB is single stage and will cook batteries if left charging indefinitely - but what I read seemed mainly directed at wet acid batteries. I have Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries and I'm not sure whether the same issue does nor does not apply. I've read strong recommendations to change the converter to a multi-stage type (e.g., Progressive Dynamics PD4655V), but have not gone beyond the reading stage. So I hedge and, while in storage, generally leave the power switch in 'store' which isolates the batteries from the converter - the batteries are then just on solar charge. If the charge drops too low (extended overcast days, or buried under 20" of snow like this past week) I'll set the switch to 'Use' for 4-5 hrs (then 'store' again). But I have the luxury of storing the trailer just outside my home.
Hoping someone with more experience can chime in...
Frank
Fbastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
My 2006 came with a factory solar panel. It's connected to the Lifeline AGM batteries through the solar controller, doesn't go through the Use/Store switch. You cannot turn it off unless you disconnect the batteries. It keeps my batteries nicely topped off. The rate of charge varies and it is usually right at 12.7 volts when I go visit her.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote