Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rock Island , Illinois
Disengage Battery Charger from Parallax 7355 Converter?

We will be picking up our new 2017 25' Flying Cloud in a few weeks. From researching this forum, apparently our model comes with the Parallax 7355 Converter with single stage 55A battery charger. We didn't get an owners manual for the converter so will have to ask the dealer. Did others get a manual? From researching the forum sounds like there is a problem with overcharging the batteries with this converter. Was wondering how others manage the battery charging given this issue. We plan on being plugged into shore power from anywhere from a couple of days to several weeks at a time. If the battery switch is on 'use', is there anyway to turn off the battery charger side of the converter whether by a switch or by pulling a fuse? If the battery switch is turned to 'store', I guess the ignition circuit boards for the fridge and water heater will not work. Is this your experience? If the battery charger cannot be turned off, do we need to maybe turn on the furnace blower in order to drain the battery so that the battery charger has something to charge without boiling/overcharging the batteries? We plan on upgrading to a multi-stage converter/charger in the future as discussed in the forums but just want to get thru the 1st season. On a related note, can anyone recommend a simple portable battery monitor and or temperature monitor? Saw that others recommended the Bogart Engineering TM-2030-RV or Victron BVM712 monitors but would like to avoid a permanent installation until I can figure out all what I need. Will a voltage meter tell me what I need to know about overcharging, etc. Don't know how to use one but can learn. Thanks for any advice!!
Sammy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
For $200 and an hours work you can switch it out to a good 4 stage PD 4655 converter from Progressive Dynamics
I would just do it now and then you can stop worrying about it
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
There are folks on the forums who are both knowledgeable about batteries AND keep their single-stage converters, so don't panic. With some management, it's quite possible to keep your single-stage converter and experience years of healthy battery use.

So here's some things to know, when you're connected to shore power, all your 12 V systems are powered from the converter, so you can simply select the "store" position and avoid overcharging your batteries. Since you want to avoid a battery monitor for the time being, the best way to know the state of charge (SOC) of your batteries is to measure the open-circuit voltage. If measuring the open-circuit voltage is a problem, then try at least to measure the battery terminal voltage with little or no load. If you use the SeeLevel monitor when connected to shore power to monitor battery voltage, you'll measure the output of the converter and not learn anything. So either place a voltmeter across the battery when in the "store" position or disconnect shore power briefly and select the "use" position when using the SeeLevel battery monitor. Lead-acid batteries can take 4 hours or more to settle, so wait several hours after removing as many loads as you can before taking measurements.

The SOC for a lead-acid battery is about 12.6V at 100% and 12.2V at 50%. Your goal is to simply make sure you don't let your battery sit for weeks on end while connected to shore power. On the other hand, you don't want to deplete your battery by more than 50% either.

Instead of trying to get an accurate indication of your SOC, if you are connected to shore power for long durations, simply select the "store" position. Then every couple of weeks select the "use" position for a day to recharge your batteries, then go back to "store". The quiescent load on the batteries when in the "store" position is less than 100 mA, so you should be well above 50% SOC after a couple of weeks.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #4

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
I installed the 4400TAU temperature probe that has worked great in not boiling the batteries. Since installing I have not had to add water to my batteries. It has been used from 100 to 35 degree weather. Only two wires. I did end up pulling the charger out because the wire run was nicer. About $55

At the same time I installed the Balmar Smartgauge battery monitor, again two wires same run with no shunt. It does not give you an amp in and out count. It works like a fuel guage on your car, except you fuel up at 50%. I caught it on sale for $180, usually lists in the $250 range. Very easy install. Very accurate while under load. While charging it lags behind, but that only matters if you are charging using a generator. After a while you get a feel of the lag. It is just under 10% and closes as the charge level gets higher.

Both took me most of a Saturday, but I am very slow and deliberate.

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
I agree with Alano, you can get by fine with the stock set up till you figure out what your wants and needs are. We used the stock Interstate group 24 batteries for 3.5 years with the stock converter, and the batteries were still strong when (by choice) we changed them to 6V agms, and changed the converter to a PD4655. We used a Battery Tender to maintain the Interstates when it was in storage, not the stock converter.

While I really like the PD4655, there are other options that you may want to explore like a Victron or Magnum converter charger. Time is your friend while you get to know your trailer and assess your needs.
Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
There are folks on the forums who are both knowledgeable about batteries AND keep their single-stage converters, so don't panic. With some management, it's quite possible to keep your single-stage converter and experience years of healthy battery use.

So here's some things to know, when you're connected to shore power, all your 12 V systems are powered from the converter, so you can simply select the "store" position and avoid overcharging your batteries. Since you want to avoid a battery monitor for the time being, the best way to know the state of charge (SOC) of your batteries is to measure the open-circuit voltage. If measuring the open-circuit voltage is a problem, then try at least to measure the battery terminal voltage with little or no load. If you use the SeeLevel monitor when connected to shore power to monitor battery voltage, you'll measure the output of the converter and not learn anything. So either place a voltmeter across the battery when in the "store" position or disconnect shore power briefly and select the "use" position when using the SeeLevel battery monitor. Lead-acid batteries can take 4 hours or more to settle, so wait several hours after removing as many loads as you can before taking measurements.

The SOC for a lead-acid battery is about 12.6V at 100% and 12.2V at 50%. Your goal is to simply make sure you don't let your battery sit for weeks on end while connected to shore power. On the other hand, you don't want to deplete your battery by more than 50% either.

Instead of trying to get an accurate indication of your SOC, if you are connected to shore power for long durations, simply select the "store" position. Then every couple of weeks select the "use" position for a day to recharge your batteries, then go back to "store". The quiescent load on the batteries when in the "store" position is less than 100 mA, so you should be well above 50% SOC after a couple of weeks.
Our 2015 Classic 30 has the Parallax converter which charges the batteries whether the switch is in the "Use" or "Store" position. Our previous AS, 2014 Serenity 25FB, had solar and if the switch was in the "Store" position the batteries were isolated from everything except the propane alarm and solar controller. I am currently installing a PD 9260 four stage converter. Does your Classic have solar?
Old 01-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rock Island , Illinois
Thank you all for your replies. I will check out the recommended battery and temperature monitors. That makes sense now that the fridge and water heater will work on shore power with the batteries off.
Trail Bob, when charging with your Battery Tender, assuming the batteries are wired in parallel, do you hook up to the positive post on battery one and then to the negative post on battery two? Thanks for your time!!
Sammy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Sammy 99
Be sure you have a Parallex 7355. My owners manual said I had the same (2017 International Signature 27FB) so I ordered a PD4655. When I opened the cabinet housing the converter/charger I read "5355.

The PD4655VL is not the unit you want. Go with a Boonedocker. Randy at BestConverter sells them and it's a simple install....

Good luck. This to is a journey. 😎
DTOURS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
I replaced my 2017 Classic 5355 two months into full-timing with a Parallax replacement under warranty from Parallax. Worked flawlessly full timing plugged into services for six months without a problem for my AGM batteries.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
I installed a Boondocker BD 1260HW (60 Amp 4-Stage Charger/Converter Hard Wired.

Features:
14.6 Boost Mode Output
13.6 Normal Mode Output
13.2 Float (trickle) Mode Output
Built-in desulfation cycle
Over-temp, Over-current Protection
105-130 VAC Input Operation
Reversed Polarity Voltage Protection
>85% Efficiency
Safe, Cool, Quiet & Reliable Operation
<1% Load Regulation
Filtered DC Output (Works with or without a battery)Thermostatically Controlled, Variable Speed Quiet Cooling Fan
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Understanding what your system is doing is key. Testing is how to learn that information. Even if you have a manual, verify the information.

The coach has parasitic loads. The CO/propane detector draws power, and so does the inverter and possibly other electronics. That means when the coach sits in storage without periodic charging those loads will kill your batteries. The solution is a hard wired disconnect switch at the batteries. The least expensive way to do this is to simply disconnect the battery cables. If it's cold, you can remove the batteries. If you do not need to remove the batteries, the easiest to use is a marine battery disconnect switch. Several threads discuss how one can be installed.

Monitor your battery water and your charge level. Manage your battery charger operation. After you do it a bit, you will find that it's not as difficult or complex as it sounds.

After you have worked through your warranty period, if you find that a multi-stage converter would be helpful, go for the upgrade. But if you normally travel from FHU to FHU and only stay for a night without shore power once in a while, you may never need to upgrade. Staying without power and running the furnace in cold weather is ususally the driver that moves folks to upgrade lots of electrical. So see how you use your coach before you decide what you need.

Solar may be the upgrade you really need. Lots to learn, but it's fun. Or you could just plug in to shore power, turn the use/store switch to use and wait for the converter to charge for a couple of hours, before turning the use/store switch to store. About that time, you need to go fishing or kick back with a nice glass of wine for the rest of the day ..... or depending on the type of fishing you do, maybe both.

Travel safe and enjoy the smile. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , NC
Matti

I had never hard of the Smartguage monitor before, looked it up and it is an interesting device. How well has it worked for you? Where did you get your deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
I installed the 4400TAU temperature probe that has worked great in not boiling the batteries. Since installing I have not had to add water to my batteries. It has been used from 100 to 35 degree weather. Only two wires. I did end up pulling the charger out because the wire run was nicer. About $55

At the same time I installed the Balmar Smartgauge battery monitor, again two wires same run with no shunt. It does not give you an amp in and out count. It works like a fuel guage on your car, except you fuel up at 50%. I caught it on sale for $180, usually lists in the $250 range. Very easy install. Very accurate while under load. While charging it lags behind, but that only matters if you are charging using a generator. After a while you get a feel of the lag. It is just under 10% and closes as the charge level gets higher.

Both took me most of a Saturday, but I am very slow and deliberate.

Matti
JoeHTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
I installed a Boondocker BD 1260HW (60 Amp 4-Stage Charger/Converter Hard Wired.

Features:
14.6 Boost Mode Output
13.6 Normal Mode Output
13.2 Float (trickle) Mode Output
Built-in desulfation cycle
Over-temp, Over-current Protection
105-130 VAC Input Operation
Reversed Polarity Voltage Protection
>85% Efficiency
Safe, Cool, Quiet & Reliable Operation
<1% Load Regulation
Filtered DC Output (Works with or without a battery)Thermostatically Controlled, Variable Speed Quiet Cooling Fan
I did same as above. $169. Have pictures posted on installation using existing chassis. Took me about 2 hours, but I was learning while I was doing this....works great.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I didn't read all the posts so i hope my comment is not irrelevant.

We have an older AS with Parralax charger and noticed from a voltmeter I installed in the trailer that the DC would just sit forever at about 13.8v.

I was afraid this might not be good for my AGM batteries that I I bought when we first bought the trailer - 3 yrs old. So I just replaced the terminal connectors on the batteries with the ones with a quick disconnect knob - widely available - Harbor Frt. etc.

So now if we are camped someplace on shore power for more than just a night or two I take the batteries off line and put them back on before we depart.

Possibly you can do the same with the main "In Use" switch in your trailer. Not sure. I think I did a test once and threw that switch and found that the batteries were still seeing the charging voltage so I went the route described.

My AGM batteries are 7-8 years old now and still seem fine. I bring them home when we store the trailer and charge them a few hours every couple of months although as I understand, AGM's should be capable of holding their charge for a year when disconnected.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:53 PM   #15

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHTP View Post
Matti

I had never hard of the Smartguage monitor before, looked it up and it is an interesting device. How well has it worked for you? Where did you get your deal?
It works great, it took 5 cycles from 100% to 75% to fully calibrate the system, which I did watching reruns of Big Bang Theory in the driveway. I have recharged the batteries using solar, a 1.5 amp trickle charger, and OEM Parallax. Got the 100% full charge response when the batteries would hold a 12.9volt for several hours. Confirmed by testing with a hydrometer. Then a 50% charge level when the batteries settle after a few hours at 12.2volts even though there was a loads drawing the battery below 12.2volts, again tested with a hydrometer. Looks like it adjusts for temperature also, on cold days the level meter runs down faster.

I found it on sale on a British sailing equipment website. Not finding the website right now, but I get emails all the time from them so they are around still.

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:51 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
Trail Bob, when charging with your Battery Tender, assuming the batteries are wired in parallel, do you hook up to the positive post on battery one and then to the negative post on battery two? Thanks for your time!!

Yes, that's the way I did it.
Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I just leave my batteries in Store mode and hooked up a Noco 7200 battery charger. So far so good!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:45 AM   #18
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Sammy99,

Please feel free to call our customer service and technical support team for any specific questions at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
Our 2015 Classic 30 has the Parallax converter which charges the batteries whether the switch is in the "Use" or "Store" position. Our previous AS, 2014 Serenity 25FB, had solar and if the switch was in the "Store" position the batteries were isolated from everything except the propane alarm and solar controller. I am currently installing a PD 9260 four stage converter. Does your Classic have solar?
The 2015 Classic 30 should not charge the batteries via the converter in the "store" position according to the schematic. If your trailer doesn't isolate the batteries from the converter in "store" mode, I would certainly look into this.

Yes, I have a BlueSky MPPT solar charger with temperature compensation to keep my batteries healthy - which is another reason I didn't bother changing out a perfectly good converter!
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , NC
Matti,

Thank you for the response. Where did you mount the unit? Do you have a photo? If you run across the name of the site can you post it or private message me with the information?

Thanks,

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
It works great, it took 5 cycles from 100% to 75% to fully calibrate the system, which I did watching reruns of Big Bang Theory in the driveway. I have recharged the batteries using solar, a 1.5 amp trickle charger, and OEM Parallax. Got the 100% full charge response when the batteries would hold a 12.9volt for several hours. Confirmed by testing with a hydrometer. Then a 50% charge level when the batteries settle after a few hours at 12.2volts even though there was a loads drawing the battery below 12.2volts, again tested with a hydrometer. Looks like it adjusts for temperature also, on cold days the level meter runs down faster.

I found it on sale on a British sailing equipment website. Not finding the website right now, but I get emails all the time from them so they are around still.

Matti
JoeHTP is offline   Reply With Quote