Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #1

1999 25' Safari
2000 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Moline , Illinois
Deep cycle battery - unexplained power drain

We have blown 2 60 amp fuses that charge our deep cycle battery and cannot locate the source of any problem. We have also noticed that our deep cycle battery (new 1-07) discharges rather quickly while connected to the Bvan but with all known power use sources shut off.

Have inspected all observable wiring.

Any one else experience this? If so, what was solution? Any suggestions?
Al & Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Marilyn View Post
We have blown 2 60 amp fuses that charge our deep cycle battery and cannot locate the source of any problem. We have also noticed that our deep cycle battery (new 1-07) discharges rather quickly while connected to the Bvan but with all known power use sources shut off.

Have inspected all observable wiring.

Any one else experience this? If so, what was solution? Any suggestions?
Hi Al & Marilyn; First possibility is that the battery itself has shorted plates, in which replacement is necessary. Other than that, each circuit has to be tested individually. This necessitates pulling all small circuit line fuses. Then connect only main fuses. Arm yourself with Amp meter. Place Amp meter leads on fuse terminals, one lead each on each fuse holder terminal [checking one fuse at time]. Amp meter is polarity sensitive and may not read when hooked in reverse. You may have to keep swapping leads around during each test at the fuse holder. Best way is to check the Amp meters polarity first. This can be done by hooking the Amp-meter to positive terminal of the battery. Hook up the other meter lead to a 12 volt bulb in a socket to one of two leads. Ground the other bulb lead to ground. If the Amp-meter shows a draw than whichever lead is on the battery is the input lead. No draw when bulb is lit reverse the meter leads. The lead which gave you a draw reading is the lead that must go to battery side of the circuit when testing all circuits. With all switches and appliances off [whatever requires 12 Volts] proceed with your tests. Whichever circuit show a draw on the Amp meter that is the circuit with a short. If no draw was observed start turning switches or appliances on one at the time at each fuse until you find a draw. From then on, you will have to concentrate on tracking it down within that circuit. If you need further info PM me. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Boat doc is correct I use a simpler method both work. Simply disconect the ground from the battery, leaving the positive hooked up. Useing a volt meter set for D.C. volts, put 1 probe on the battery neg, and the other proble on the cable you dissconnected. This does the same thing as the light bulb and amp meter but I think its easier, or another option for you.

What ever is drawing your battery down will show on the volt meter simply start pulling fusses until voltage drops. Make sure. you interior lights are off. If no draw is shown or less that 1 volt then you have a bad battery.

I would reccomend a good N.A.P.A, New castle or A/C delco/voyager. I am not fond of Interstate, There quality has gone down hill in my opinion.

Best of luck with this issue
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Battery Problems

I think that you guys are on the right track, and that the battery is probably bad.

A few weeks ago, while boondocking at a local state park, our battery indicator went from 3/4 to empty (flashing red) in about 5 hours.

I took out both of the batteries, and had them tested - one of the batteries showed 10.7 volts - the most likely cause being a bad cell. We could not load test the battery without a charge.

I replaced both batteries, and have not had a problem since - including a two day trip this past weekend.

We have a 2006 25ss, and the batteries had a 1/06 date on the side of the battery.

Hope this helps.

Tom
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote